'00 XR 650 and $1500

12 replies to this topic
  • Kenaroo

Posted April 30, 2006 - 01:56 PM

I finally picked up one of these BRPs to make into my ulitmate dualsporter. I trader off my CRF and got some cash to make her right.

bike is pretty stock except for the juice clutch lever(still a pull), right peg fix and heavy duty buckman(sp) spokes and excel rims.

immediate changes.
new piston rings and check valves etc
Shocks and forks get gold valves and new springs.
IMS pegs or fastway if I can find them.
IMS shift lever.
Brake snake.
BRP undermount kit with GRP dampner. w/protaper Windham bend.
fork brace.

think that will run around $1400 +-

I already have most of the dual sport kit I can change over from my CRF so I won't need to buy a kit.

So... IYHO. what else would you recommend to get her ready for the Dirt (mostly) and road?

• xr500_89

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:19 PM

well if your gonna be hitting dirt mostly pick up some dot pirelli tires 20% road 80% dirt tires got some on my xl500 soon gonne be gettin some for my xr600

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Why are you going to rering it? Is it using oil or have low compression? Not running well?

• Kenaroo

Posted April 30, 2006 - 06:33 PM

6 year old bike with the stock piston and rings. I'll run a compression check but I would have to think it would be time. I would think you would want to do at least a ring set ever year or so.

• BWB63

Posted April 30, 2006 - 06:57 PM

In race conditions of Baja maybe a rebuild every year running most of the score and BITD races but, for normal trail riding and four or five races a year not need for 12,000+ miles, duel sport and trail riding you can get 30,000 miles.

I rebuilt mine to a 680cc after two years of killer riding. I lost second gear and thought it would be a good time to go to 680cc. Well the piston looked brand new, as did the cylinder still having it's hatch marks. 158psi compression. That is two years of balls to the wall riding. The intake valves were cupped good but, that happened within 2,000 miles on the XR650 because they are only hard faced. I went with good stainless steel valves to fix this for good.

I wouldn't take it apart inless you want more power, or there is something wrong. These bikes are almost bullet proof.

Posted Image

All About the XR650R
http://xr650r.borynack.com/

• Naru

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Ditto on what BWB said... once a year would be excessive, to say the least.

On the parts you mentioned:
Gold valves - I've ridden bikes with and without them, and I'd say save the money and simply get your suspension revalved if your going that route. However, a simple servicing of the forks works wonders for this bike, as the stock oil is terrible.
IMS shift lever - I'd recommend against it. When I was 'blinging' out my bike, I swapped to an IMS and bent it bad against the case when the bike fell over on the kickstand into sand. It was seriously flexible and IMO far weaker than the stocker. I've since bought a bike with the BD electric start (which has an IMS lever to accomodate the larger case), and I'm having the same problem. However, if you really want one, I have another new one in package I'll sell cheap. :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gnarly sprockets

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:45 AM

6 year old bike with the stock piston and rings. I'll run a compression check but I would have to think it would be time. I would think you would want to do at least a ring set ever year or so.

Not even. If you've got good compression and a leak down test shows your valves to be good, you probably don't need a rebuild. Spend the time and $ on accessories.
My XR is a 2000 and still runs great.

• Kenaroo

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the comments. I guess I won't fix it if it aint broke... I still run a compression check.

With the gold valves... would you just drill out the stock valves as I seen on xr650 website and shim accordingly?

On the lever. the stock one is bent all to heck. Any other options on shifters than stock?

What about the clutch? This thing is butal even with the magura compaired to my CRF.. anything else I can do to lighten the pull on this thing?

• BWB63

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:43 PM

If you are good at suspensions most of what you need to know is here:

All About the XR650R
http://xr650r.borynack.com/

Posted Image

• motox-quadracer42

Posted February 13, 2008 - 07:56 PM

hey BWB63 what year bike was it that second gear went bad and also how bad was it what happened to them? I have a 2002 xr650l motor in a 400ex frame and 2nd gear got completely destroyed.

• BWB63

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:11 PM

Once in second and you had close to full hook up second would pop out. On the street or hard dirt and go to full throttle and pop. In the end the dogs were rounded on second, third and fifth.

http://borynack.com/XR650R

Updated site address. The old one does not work.

Posted Image

• Kenaroo

Posted February 14, 2008 - 01:03 PM

wow.. talking about bringing up the old ghost.

Spent more than $1500 But she's fun fun fun.

680 kit
falcon rod
1mm oversized valves
edlebrocked
CRF usd fork conversion
garmin gps
acerbis 6 gallon tank
200 watt lighting coil
Hi per ignition
Kenaroo rally fairing w/hella 90 mm lights
Gutz racing seat.
shock revalve
etc. etc. etc

Posted Image

• BWB63

Posted February 14, 2008 - 02:32 PM

What cam did you go with and is the engine sleeved or Nikasil? I like the looks, smooth lines, never liked the huge tank but, yours looks real nice.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.