crf450 to yz450f

49 replies to this topic
  • RoughR1der

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:05 PM

1st off, ive rode red all my life & dropped them when i went 4 stroke cuz mechanical problems are not acceptable, unlike what the other guy said about sticking w/ honda....give me a break. the guy has already shimmed & spent tons of $ and been frustrated to death. brand loyalty aint worth that.

the bike does feel like a 250, stroker or F, it's that light feeling =)

u do have to set it up though. #1 jets & a fuel screw. 170/48 for 3k' and below. #2 ditch the front tire (buy a dunlop 756), very inportant for softer terrain. #3 get a chain. #4 raise the forks up to the 1st line (5mm). #5 set ur sag.

the bars r too low for taller guys, but for your height they should be perfect.

that's it, best 450 there is...period :crazy:

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:13 PM

thanks roughr1der, i cannot wait to get on it. i cannot imagine riding more than wrenching and frustrating?

• Zique

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:56 PM

I wish my wife were into that stuff.

(Side note-- this is just my wishful thinking for a bike, I really love my better half more than any bike.)

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:02 PM

she's more into not getting hit up for a few hundred a month to sort out issues with the bike. she really feels that a new bike's never gonna have issues...hahaha...newbikenewbikenewbikenewbieknewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbike

• Zique

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:49 PM

:crazy:

• scottpb33

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:29 AM

this new bike thing's totally her idea, swear to god. , we've been through alot. when your wife says, "just shut up and buy a new bike so you won't have any more problems"... you have to do something men don't like to do...LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE. :crazy:

plus i got her a kodiak 400 this year to plow the drive and it's worry free and will take the abuse a mx'er gives it (when he steals it from his wife).

First of all, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, they are all decent bikes, and they ALL HAVE ISSUES. There should be no loyality, thats crap! It is not the bike but the rider %99 of the time.

With this in mind, if you read through the forums, you will notice that some more than others have there share of problems, no doubt. But you have to look at the thr riding that is going on. Are they riding motocross, enduro, trail, etc. That plays a big part on how the bike is setup, and performs.

I race motocross occasionally, +40 expert or +40 am, depends on the amount of time in the saddle. I own a yz450f 2006, it is a decent bike, except for the steering portion which has been alleviate with moving the forks up, different bars, and the different risers that Yamaha offers. Oh, and do not forget to change the front tire, its a tire, not a big deal. Other than that, it is truly a great bike. I had a 01 previous to this bike, and would not buy another one until they went back to the 5 speed. I just could not get comfortable with the four speed, I was always a gear high, or a gear to low.

Honda's, I have a few of them also, I have to say that the top end on them does not last as long as the Yamaha's. Several guys in my riding club have had major issues, but then again, some are expert riders and the others are just plain fun riders, luck of the draw.

Suzuki and Kawasaki, well, I have riden both, and do not care for them, it may be just me? I won my first district championship on a Kawasaki, then went back to Honda, then to Yamaha.

It is good your wife is supportive, mine is the same way. Your fortunate, most wives are not that way, so, what are you waiting for! Go buy a new 06 :ride: and be happy.

• motobeck

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:07 AM

As for you starting problem. My friend has an 04 CRf450 and had the same problem (kick starter locking) last week after shimming his valve. Found out his cam timing was off by a couple teeth causing the AD to hit too early. Surprissingly, the bike would still run very good, just hard to start. Readjusted the timing and problem was solved!

• ben_suhard

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:07 AM

It shouldn't be too tall for you, I'm only 5'7", and my '06 feels a lot smaller than the '03 KTM525 I sold. I've got the bar mounts in the rearward position with the bars tilted back a bit, Ricky and bubba style, coz I'm short like you.
I'm 70kg and for me, the suspension is very nice, nicest I've ever ridden, so I'm saving dollars there not having to revalve etc. I changed the front tyre to a Dunlop 742 after a very hard fall with the 739(slightly separated ac joint in shoulder, aswell as the usual yellow/red/purple hip bruise). From the reviews I've read, it doesn't corner as well as a CRF, but that's something I was willing to overlook, I was tossing up between the CRF and YZ, and it ended up being a very easy choice.
I've done 4hrs on it and I love this bike, my favourite so far, I can't wait to get on my local MX track with it, but it's closed for two more weeks. The only problem I've had so far is the little plastic timing plug came loose and I was worried that I may have lost a lot of oil. It's just above the shifter and on my first ride my boot must have unscrewed it, but it's ok now that I've put low strength threadlocker on it.
It's a bummer about the Chad Reed thing, but it's great that you've got the "all clear" to get a new bike.

• grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:55 AM

First of all, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, they are all decent bikes, and they ALL HAVE ISSUES.

While that certainly seems on the surface like it should be a reasonable statement, I'd like you to tell me what "issue" you think the '06 YZ450 has that compares to Honda's historical valve trouble, Kawasaki's exploding pistons and problems with the rear linkage, or Suzuki's cam chain tension situation.

The only faults I'm aware of on the YZ are all easily and inexpensively corrected by jetting, a tire change, buying bars that fit the rider, and correctly adjusting the suspension. After that, the only thing you might want would be a mappable ignition like a Vortex to give it a bit more snap. But you might also find it's just fine without it, too.

The handling and suspension is the amazing part. When set up right, it feels lighter and is easier to ride even than the CRF.

As to your question about how often you might need to shim the valves on a YZ450, I can't help you much with that. My '03 has never needed it. I'm guessing it won't be too much longer, but I just don't know.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:37 AM

As to your question about how often you might need to shim the valves on a YZ450, I can't help you much with that. My '03 has never needed it. I'm guessing it won't be too much longer, but I just don't know.

Neither has mine :crazy: ...yeah,.....it's JUST like a Honda except it doesn't have tranny or valve issues :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:06 PM

i really hope tha 06 450f is as good handling in the corners for an intermediate. thanks guys for all the help. to those of you that own crf's...i'll let you know what i think after the first 2 rides. redriders are as closeknitt as i've seen, but i've owned one and she broke me heart. sorry Honda.

• Zique

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to the blue side! :crazy: (even if you did go with the anniversary bike, it's still blue at heart)

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:22 PM

found one semi-locally (which i'm keeping secret) in blue and they're willing to part with it for a reasonable price. because freight and put together time is $200, i told them i wanted them to change the jetting, front tire and chain (parts my expense) because if they had to build it from the box, it would have cost them no extra in labor. they said ok, except you field ride it for jetting. having to drive 3 hrs for a bike with service like that is fine.

• Zique

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:36 PM

That is a pretty good deal. Cool man, I am excited for you! Let us know how it turns out when all is said and done.

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:45 PM

hey zique, at the last minute when i got my bike running ok, my wife says, "so now it's fixed and you don't need a new bike...right." BABY, that's not how it works. here's what i've learned from marriage, "you can't take sh!t back." newbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikewnewbikenewwbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenwbike....

• scottpb33

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:04 AM

The only faults I'm aware of on the YZ are all easily and inexpensively corrected by jetting, a tire change, buying bars that fit the rider, and correctly adjusting the suspension. After that, the only thing you might want would be a mappable ignition like a Vortex to give it a bit more snap. But you might also find it's just fine without it, too.

The handling and suspension is the amazing part. When set up right, it feels lighter and is easier to ride even than the CRF.

I can agree with you certainly on the valve issue with the Honda's, no doubt a big problem. I know people with Honda's that have had no issues either, very strange, but honestly, if you read the forums, there are more problems there then I have heard from personally.

I have had three Yamaha's thus far, and never, I'll say it again, never! had an issue with any of them. I changed the oil and cleaned the filter and put many hours on them, they are still running!

The suspension is truly awesome on the 06, the front fork is amazing. The steering is the only issue I was having , but have rectified with the other clamps, and bars and moving the forks up to the full 10mm.

When I mentioned they are all the same to some degree, that may hold true for some people.....Not everyone reports their issues to this forum, would be good if they did.

• WFOracer

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:11 AM

my wife actually told me to sell it and get a 2006 yz450f.

Divorce her immediately :ride:

then give me her number! :crazy:

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:04 PM

Divorce her immediately :ride:

then give me her number! :crazy:

too late, she alredy left me for chd reed.

Posted May 04, 2006 - 06:18 PM

bought my 2006 yz450f today. to me, doing business with dealers is a gamble, but these guys are open 6 days a week 9am-8pm, which is a good sign to me. details aside; i got a really good deal on the bike (they didn't have the blue in stock but are trading a SE for one. BTW if you want an SE, they have them. also, got a better than book trade on my trade, but that was in part because i put a ton of cash into the crf (like most crf450r owners). i got a RK x-ring chain and Renthal 49 tooth rear sprocket to help me in the low-end. i'm happy so far with the transaction. i'm from western new york and would recommend them. if you are interested in who they are, please PM me.

• redrider467

Posted May 06, 2006 - 05:59 PM

I don't know why I'm the first but I have to stand up for the CRF, I just put the the tenth hour on my 05 450R and my valves are right on the money, I haven't touched them since she rolled off the showroom floor, I couldn't ask for a better starting/running bike. I'm not even gonna get started on how good the suspension is treating me....

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.