Engine dying from off-idle throttle snap... '06 WR450 JD Kit Installed

29 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:44 AM

Every thread I see on here where someone has jetting woes typically occurs after they use a JamesDean kit. All other makes/models seem to respond well to the kits except the Yammies. Constantly changing to blue/red needles, running lean, running rich etc. I took some advice from a fellow TT'er who's name will remain out of this and had my bike jetted to a "T". I couldn't be happier and no James Dean kit was necessary.

• Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:56 AM

Every thread I see on here where someone has jetting woes typically occurs after they use a JamesDean kit. All other makes/models seem to respond well to the kits except the Yammies. Constantly changing to blue/red needles, running lean, running rich etc. I took some advice from a fellow TT'er who's name will remain out of this and had my bike jetted to a "T". I couldn't be happier and no James Dean kit was necessary.

I do agree with you, but jetting is never a set and forget thing. It takes time to dial in, if you think you have perfect jetting first go, play around with it. You will find it will most likely improve. With so many jets to play around with, I guarantee you this. :crazy:

JD needles are better than others I have used, I just don't think that they are worth the money, but that is just me. I have the kit anyway - for both bikes!

• odonnks

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:36 AM

Onetogo -
Matty is right, my ACV is not blocked.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have a question. Since the Stock WR needles are non adjustable, would a stock YZF needle be adequate to get your jetting adjustability under control? And since the GYT AIS blockoff kit comes with a new needle and main jet, why can't you properly adjust the carb with that gear?

I agree about the JD kit. I was told to get it for my YZ but after experimenting a bit, I was able to get it nicely dialed in with just stock components and some patience.

The AP timing is important to have adjusted correctly, per the manuals instructions.

• dbailey223

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:18 AM

The JD kit easily made a world of difference for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:27 AM

I thought my jetting was perfect too, but I tried one anyway and the results are amazing. I didn't know my bike could have such crisp throttle response and pull so hard in the mid range. JD kits work well, but you do have to find the best combo of needles and mains with the proper fuel screw adjustment in order to get the full benefits of the kit.

• TimBrp

Posted May 01, 2006 - 11:13 AM

My throttle response is crisp, strong and no flat spots. This info was given to be myself that fiddled with his WR for a while. Plug is a perfect color too.

• OneToGo

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:08 PM

yes, you are rich in that 1/8 - 1/4 range.

You might just have to shim the needle a bit with tiny washer for half clip adjustment. Either that or go to 4th clip JD red. I am at 4th clip JD red, I live in top of Australia, so very similar climate to you.

His ACV not blocked in, not with a 48 pilot jet!

Thanks, I did not think of HALF a clip, good idea. I'll try it today and get back.
:crazy:

• OneToGo

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Onetogo -
Matty is right, my ACV is not blocked.

Thanks odonnks, I should have figured it out. The reason I asked, is I have mine blocked in the "normal position" (does not close off half the air circuit on decel) with the 48 pilot. Yeh, it pops a bit on decel but the idle circuit is now a lot more resposive to fine tuning with the fuel screw.

• grappler

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I actually had this problem before the kit as well. I had wishful thinking it would go away after I put in the kit. :crazy:

I did, however, get some quality time with the WR tonight. I wasn't able to get rid of the problem by adjusting the fuel screw yet but I do think it is a little better. It still comes close to dying or dies when I snap the throttle from idle. I'll do some more drastic fuel screw changes soon...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.