I just got my 06 xr650l!!!!!!!

23 replies to this topic
  • Bodhisattva

Posted April 30, 2006 - 01:08 AM

Hey guys, i got a new 06 xr650l today. im excited.
The msrp is 5799.99 but i struck up a deal, the invoice for the bike is 5079.99 so i said to them make 200 on the deal, and lets get the deal done.
well they said out the door would be 6600 and i said its to much, so they gave me a card and i walked, then i knew how close they were, so i went back later and said 65-hundred dollar bills here, lets get this done, and they went for it. so everyones happy.
I have only put 2 miles on it but am going out with my buddy tomorrow to ride, he has a 05 ktm625 smc.
What do you guys recommend as far as break in? the manual says take it easy for 300 miles, is that good?
Well i would like to ride with anyone who wants to in so cal, so lets ride!!!

• nxridge

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:32 AM

congrats.

I just hit 200 miles on my 06.
seems to run better each time i ride it as its breaking in.

I myself am following what the manual says for break in period.
After that ill let them do the first service at 600 miles, then ill start
modding it.
It is rather tame all corked up , but i can tell its just waiting to be
un-leashed :crazy:

• XR_mad

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:37 AM

http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

• Muddin

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:41 AM

:cheers: I bought my 2006 650L about a month and a half ago and the service guy told me :ride: not to burn the crap out of it :ride: but to run it at a variety of speeds and RPM's. He said you shouldn't run a new
motor at one constant speed or to run at a low speed in a high gear making the engine work unnecessarily hard :crazy: . I now have 1400km on it and works like a charm :cheers: . Had oil changed at 950km. :lol: Make sure you keep an eye on chain cause it will stretch for the first few hundred. :cheers: ENJOY :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

• XR_mad

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:59 AM

read it all and you will understand, it doesnt say to ride the crap out of it

• nxridge

Posted April 30, 2006 - 05:01 AM

Intresting article. thanks for the info.

I have adjusted the chain 2x's already in 200 miles.

• XR_mad

Posted April 30, 2006 - 05:08 AM

p.s congratz on the bike and happy trailblazing :crazy:

• Muddin

Posted April 30, 2006 - 05:14 AM

Great article, wish I saw that a couple months ago. :crazy: Have fun and keep your wheels in the air. :ride:

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 30, 2006 - 06:12 AM

Hey guys, i got a new 06 xr650l today. im excited.

Just like X-mas. Probably hard to sleep & I'm guessing you couldn't stop checkin' it out. Gotta love that new bike smell. :lol:

The msrp is 5799.99 but i struck up a deal, the invoice for the bike is 5079.99 so i said to them make 200 on the deal, and lets get the deal done.
well they said out the door would be 6600 and i said its to much, so they gave me a card and i walked, then i knew how close they were, so i went back later and said 65-hundred dollar bills here, lets get this done, and they went for it. so everyones happy.

That's all that matters, that you are satisfied with the final deal. There really isn't much room to move on a new unit at the dealer. Used ones are a different story.

I have only put 2 miles on it but am going out with my buddy tomorrow to ride, he has a 05 ktm625 smc.
What do you guys recommend as far as break in? the manual says take it easy for 300 miles, is that good?

If you're still around & have a chance to read this, best thing to do is ride it normally, going through all the gears, at all different speeds, shifting smoothly & quickly without over-revving it. Don't abuse it just yet. :ride:

Check the whole bike out, i.e.; clutch lever freeplay, chain slack, oil level (this can be tricky), tire pressure, suspension settings, all exposed fasteners. Get to know your bike. Careful with those stock tires in the dirt. They're not dirt knobs...

Well i would like to ride with anyone who wants to in so cal, so lets ride!!!

I'm sidelined for quite a while now & unable to ride due to some long overdue & much needed ACL rework. :ride:

Have fun & keep the rubber side down. :crazy:

• Maniak

Posted April 30, 2006 - 06:32 AM

Good deal and good luck with the new L, I think its a great bike, but it can be made better.
In my heyday, our break in time was from the pit to the start line. Just do it like the book says and you wont have any problems.
I just love getting a new bike. :crazy:
Every where I used to ride in So Cal is now urban sprawl, just head east, and change those stock tires out as soon as you can. If you get to Nor Cal give me a call and Ill ride with you. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elrontx

Posted April 30, 2006 - 06:53 AM

change the oil after 100 miles when i got mine the dealer said 1000 miles for break in i did about 700 then put knobbies on and make sure the bike is warmed up even take it for a lap around the block and than check the oil if the bike is not really warmed up you'll get a false low reading

• Bodhisattva

Posted April 30, 2006 - 10:42 AM

Ok so in the artical it says to basically just ride the bike, but dont rev it out to hard, and just dont go crazy...right?
In the artical it says to change the oil after 20 miles? but someone said 100?
what viscocity do you guys recommend?
also, someone said checking the oil is tricky? dont i just have to take the one bolt out and see if the oil is to the top?
How hot does the engine get being air cooled, ive only had one other air cooled bike, and that was many years ago so im wondering if they get really hot to the touch.
I rode mine around for only 2 miles and the fins were very hot.
So how offton do you need to charge the battery? ever?

thanks for the help guys.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 30, 2006 - 11:42 AM

Ok so in the artical it says to basically just ride the bike, but dont rev it out to hard, and just dont go crazy...right?

The little Owner's Manual is your best source for the basics of how to take care of your machine. If you want to get more detailed information I recommend picking up either the Honda Factory Service Manual or the Clymer.

In the artical it says to change the oil after 20 miles? but someone said 100?
what viscocity do you guys recommend?

Again, it's in the Owner's Manual. 20W-50 is what is recommended. I run 15W-50 non-EC, full synthetic with excellent results.

Some people change the oil immediately because they feel the junk from the factory is just that... :crazy:

also, someone said checking the oil is tricky? dont i just have to take the one bolt out and see if the oil is to the top?

It's not as straight-forward as checking the oil in your car or truck but it's not difficult. Again, read the manual.

How hot does the engine get being air cooled, ive only had one other air cooled bike, and that was many years ago so im wondering if they get really hot to the touch.
I rode mine around for only 2 miles and the fins were very hot.

It's a good 250 - 300 degrees sittin' between your legs. It's gonna be hot & stay hot.

So how offton do you need to charge the battery? ever?

You'll know when it's harder to crank over & start. These bikes usually fire within 1 or seconds. When it struggles to crank, either recharge or replace the juice box.

thanks for the help guys.

Now get out there & ride that bike. Hurry up & get the first scratch go you can get over that disappointed feeling & then really start ridin' it! :ride:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:43 AM

[snip]
Now get out there & ride that bike. Hurry up & get the first scratch go you can get over that disappointed feeling & then really start ridin' it! :ride:

:cheers: I pretzeled my bars & bent the living :crazy: out of my stock engine guard (had to torch it off) the first week i had my '06 650L. :cheers: :lol: :cheers:

After that I felt pretty good about modding it and ditching the stock parts I had removed :cheers:

Yup, scratch it, get over it, stop the swearing, and go have a blast! :ride:

• BIGGITY

Posted May 01, 2006 - 07:01 AM

1) uncork it
2) get aftermarket bars (the stockers will bend on your first decent crash)
3) get your suspenison set
4) get a stabilizer
5) get a Edelbrock pumper carb

After these 5 things your bike will be pretty much perfect. You're going to have a blast! :crazy:

• Border Patrol

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Congrats on the new bike, but I think you got fleeced. I'm looking at L's right now and can get an '06 for $5799 out.

Enjoy your bike, just don't be so eager next time.

Tim

• Bodhisattva

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:00 AM

How could you get one for 5799 out the door. i doubt that.
dont you have tax,title,licence freight ect?
if i paid msrp plus all that crap id be like 7k. invoice for the bike is 5079.

• Border Patrol

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:04 AM

How could you get one for 5799 out the door. i doubt that.
dont you have tax,title,licence freight ect?
if i paid msrp plus all that crap id be like 7k. invoice for the bike is 5079.

LA Cyclesports is the cheapest around. No joke.

Dear Tim,

Thank You! You are on your way to saving big dollars on your Honda 06 XR650L. Todays price is $5,799 OUT THE DOOR, including all applicable taxes, registration, and document fees. We do not charge any freight, set-up, or destination charges. Price quotes are good for 48 hours and change constantly with customer demand, inventory levels, and sales goals. All factory rebates and/or promotional dollars are factored into our offer so we can provide you with the lowest price possible.

To confirm your OTD price, reserve your new vehicle, and schedule delivery please call (310) 677-0900 or email info@lacyclesports.com. The quoted price is not binding until we confirm your order by phone or email. We promise to do our best to make your purchase as simple as possible; scheduling an appointment with us will only make your buying experience more fun! Our company goals are to offer the best value in the western United States. If you receive a competitive or lower price from another dealer, please bring it to our attention so that we can evaluate our pricing position.

As an internet customer you deal with only the most experienced and knowledgeable members of our sales staff. Therefore, if you decide to visit our store without any previous arrangements PLEASE ask for a member of the internet department.

Enhance your buying experience with the following links:

Financing? Click here to complete our secure application.
Need accessories? Click here to outfit your new motorcycle or ATV.
Need more information? Click here to review our FAQ section. This link provides important information about buying over the internet, financing, pricing, and delivery.
Attention out of California customers! More and more people travel to our dealerships from out of California every year. Please keep in mind that by law, we must charge you California sales tax on your purchase. However, your home state will recognize your California tax payment and will not charge you sales tax again.

If you have any additional questions or require more information, please call (310) 677-0900 or email info@lacyclesports.com.

We look forward to having you as another satisfied customer!

Los Angeles Cycle Sports Group
Internet Sales

• Bodhisattva

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Damn if thats true, im mad. i should call the dealer i got mine at or go in with a bat? which option would produce better results?

• Muddin

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:58 AM

Man you guys are lucky!!!! I'm here in Nova Scotia Canada and the cheapest price I could get my bike for was $8224 (on the road) thats $1500 difference even with exchange. :crazy: :ride: :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.