Airbox melted on to muffler ! ! HELP !

8 replies to this topic
  • mrmuzic

Posted April 29, 2006 - 11:39 PM

My airbox melted on to my muffler :ride: (2004 YZ450, stock)! I was warming up the bike (standing still) and decided to shut the bike down. WHen I did I noticed smoke :crazy: . Upon looking closer I saw the airbox melting on to the muffler. Can the airbox be easily replaced ? I guess the bike must be running pretty rich. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to repair it and where to get a new or used airbox? How ahard is it to replace? Thanks Guys !

Kevin

• Satch0922

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:58 AM

what year and model bike do you have? The airbox is easy to replace and run about $40-45 from the dealer depending on your bike. You reuse the rubber boot and swap the box out.

HOWEVER, first you better find out why it melted. Never let your bike idle for more than a few minutes sitting still....as you found out they get really hot really fast! Make sure your mid-pipe is not bent or something weird that is causing it to touch the airbox.

• kid on a 426

Posted April 30, 2006 - 11:10 AM

Sounds like the subframe or somehting is bent

• NYMXer

Posted April 30, 2006 - 11:13 AM

Sounds like the subframe or somehting is bent

Something is amiss

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrmuzic

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:29 AM

Nothing is bent. Bike was standing still for about 10 mins. It hadn't been run in a long time. How hard is it to remove the airbox? Does the subframe have to be removed?

Kevin

• Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:44 AM

Remove the subframe, it takes very little time and effort. The airbox comes out very easy.
Nothing is hard to do on these bikes.

• crfmatt

Posted May 01, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I have one from an 02 426...If it would fit id sell it. :crazy:

• Ga426owner

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Nothing is bent. Bike was standing still for about 10 mins. It hadn't been run in a long time. How hard is it to remove the airbox? Does the subframe have to be removed?

Kevin

10min too long yikes it got really hot...........I never run mine idling more than a minute or 2 ... check you coolant level for overflow

• Zique

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:46 PM

I believe you can even just remove the top bolts on the subframe and loosen the ones off the bottom and move your subframe just get enough room to remove your box.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.