K&N Filter

8 replies to this topic
  • Yamaster

Posted April 29, 2006 - 06:03 PM

I wanted to get a K&N filter for my 05 wr450, but dont get how it mounts. I want one because all of our quads (sand) use them and I wanted one for my 450. Any clue to how it mounts?

• 642MX

Posted April 29, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Do yourself and your intake valves a favor and use a good quality foam filter on your WR. Do a search on K&N filters, they are proven to pass dirt and cause problems.

• odonnks

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:06 AM

The problem I've seen with the one for a WR is it is a 2 piece, Like this
The top is a separate piece. Now you have two sealing surfaces to contend with.

I have heard of the same issues.
I do run the single piece ones on my quad and have in my cars.

• Yamaster

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:35 PM

What do you think the trucks in baja use along with some quads and bikes?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:18 PM

What do you think the trucks in baja use along with some quads and bikes?

I could care less what everybody uses in baja. I use products based on what I have found thru research and real world experiences, not on what the quadtards in the desert think is best. :crazy:

• WildRide

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Personally I wouldn't use a K&N in my lawnmower. They are not good in dusty conditions.

• CJ06WR

Posted April 30, 2006 - 08:54 PM

Damn Wild Ride.....That was a lot of good info. It will definitely keep me from putting a K&N in my bike....

• creeky

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:37 AM

A long time ago when I first started riding XRs, I tried K&N. I had problems with the sealing surface, saw streaks of crap in the airbox when I removed the filter. I tried several greases and even made my own gasket to replace the crummy stick-on gasket that came with the K&N, no luck, got tired of screwing with it and bought a UNI and have been using them ever since with no problems.

• EXCKiller

Posted May 02, 2006 - 01:24 PM

I had put a K&N in my DR 650 Dual Sport
First I had to re-jet LEANER :cheers:
I had constantly dirt / dust inside the intake manyfolds :crazy:
Oil consumption increased, cylinder and piston and rings ruined!! :lol:
K&N = no good! :ride:
After the engine rebuild I use a Twin Air, no more dirt past the filter, lots cheaper and easier to clean. :ride: Forget K&N!!! :cheers:
I asked my LandRover tuner about his opinion on K&Ns: "If you can look trough it, dirt will go through it.." rightly so! :cheers:

I got in contact with K&N, cylinder and piston and filter went to the US (from GER!). Of course I had ruined the filter using "other than K&N filter oil" (such as Twin Air or No Toil), they send me a new filter which of course I never installed.

SAE has got a standard out for the performance of automotive engine air filter (do not have the procedure number at hand). Recommendation is an efficiency of 99,9% under dusty (=OR) conditions. K&Ns never make that! If you want, I can figure out the respctive procedure number. Contact them and ask for their results!!!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.