Photo
- - - - -

2000 XR650l Top End Rebuild problems

29 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

TT Addict

3,240 posts

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:22 AM

cam lobes down piston at TDC flyhweel aligned with fixed indexer - sounds like you did all of that. But, did you align the marks on the cam chain sprocket flush with the head?

_____________0_____________

if not... the valves will actuate - but at the wrong time and may result in bending a valve stem. I like to dop a short awl into the plug hole to ensure I am at TDC when I install the cam and camchain. Helps to verify the position of the piston in my mind, even though the flwheel indication is correct. Afet I connect everything I turn it over with the cam cover off at least 3-4 times - returning to TDC to verify I am dead on prior to buttoning up. Last thing I do BEFORE installation into the frame, is to adjust the valves on the bench and then with the plug out, turn it over again from the flywheel to ensure it is suckin, compressin, and blowin, gets kinds a wa-pop sound (even with plug out) That way I know when it goes in the frame it is ready to start.

I would ensure your carb is fresh and clean too and that the floats are set okay.

• scooter1100

TT Member

62 posts

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:46 PM

check the sub rockers, because it's a radial design ,the camshaft rockers run on sub rockers that push on the valve in a modified direction. check out a schematic of the valve train online

• hybred3

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 08:28 PM

I am having the same problem. I believe I did everything the manual asked for but am obviously not. I did a top end rebuild and I have it all back together. The PO had a Hotcam and the rockers were melted. I went OEM and put the decompressor back in. I crank and crank and the new rocker arms don't move. I just noticed this today after troubleshooting the electrical. I replaced the pulse generator the other day and looked at the timing chain to make sure it was on-track. Good to go. If I take the valve cover off, make sure the cam lobes are at the bottom, make sure the piston is at TDC, make sure the top cam chain cog is aligned at 9 and 3 o'clock with the top-end, what am I overlooking? I just want to ride.

• mcma111

TT Silver Member

578 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 03:26 AM

Is the cam chain ON the lower drive/crank sprocket?

• hybred3

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 07:02 AM

It is. I replaced the pulse generator thinking I had an electrical problem along with the ignition coil. I had the side cover off and the chain is on the sproket and tucked in between the guides. I guess I am going to have to pull the top and see where the disconnect is. I replaced the old Hotcam with an OEM cam. I hope I bought all of the needed parts. I ordered the "Cam Assembly" and the decompression plug and spring. I believe that is all that is removed when the previous owner installed the Hotcam.

• hybred3

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 12:57 PM

While at TDC, I took the valve cover off and inspected the cam. The cam lobes were to the side. I was prepared to take the sprocket off and locked the crank in place to keep the timing mark lined up when i noticed that i could hold the top sprocket with my hand and turn the crank. I shouldn't be able to stop the timing chain from moving with just my hand right? The chain is tight and sounds like it is on track on the bottom end.

• brianhare
5,412 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 11, 2016 - 02:40 PM

obviously the chain IS NOT on the lower gear........

B

• mcma111

TT Silver Member

578 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 07:19 PM

obviously the chain IS NOT on the lower gear........

B

That's what I said ^^^

• hybred3

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 09:06 PM

You guys were right. The chain was not on the sprocket. I made the mistake of looking at the chain and guide and not feeling back there and confirming it. The chain tensioner kept enough friction on the chain that it advanced when I turned the crank but slipped when it met some resistance. Thank you for your help. 

• mcma111

TT Silver Member

578 posts

Posted November 12, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Hold it up to the phone so I can get a better look at it.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.