E-Mail from Heartland Honda - possible virus alert

I received a email this morning from Heatland honda which I thought was rather strange since I dont buy anything from them.

It was from parts@heartlandhonda.com and the email read like this:

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

there was also a attachment that said:

service_writer_training.doc.lnk (206k)

I deleted this immediatly because it seemed like a virus to me. How does a reputable company get involved in a virus email?

I just thought I would give everyone a heads up in case you recieve someting similar.

For some reason the people that do this kind of nonsense are trying to relate the email to a particular intrest of the receiver.

------------------

Darin in Missouri - My Hurricane 1999 WR400F

Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

[This message has been edited by MOmilkman (edited October 17, 2001).]

This can happen if the company's web site is running an IIS web server. It can be a form of a worm virus. There are many other combo's, but an MS IIS web server seems to be the platform of choice for hackers.

It infects (copies files to the box) then reads the address book and sends mass emails to everyone listed.

Deleting the email was fine.

You can also send it to your IS staff (if you are work) in hopes they can update virus pattern files for your network.

Rod

IF you work for the same company I do, don't send it to me. I spend too much time updating Norton already.....Man this summer has been a bad one for virus attacks. I'm glad my home network is locked up tight and behind a good firewall.

You did right man....Just delete it and be vigilant...If you get e-mail from people you don't know blow it away immediately.

Bonzai grin.gif

------------------

1999 WR 400F:

Headlight Removed,Odo Removed,Gray Wire - Cut,Throttle Stop - Trimmed,YZ Timing,GYT-R Pro-Bend Hand Guards /Tripple Clamp Mounts,YZ Front/Rear Fender,YZ Number Plate,Race Tech Suspension(by MXTuner),Dunlop 756 Front and Rear,Renthal Fat Bars W/GYT-R Pad,Renthal 14/53 Gearing,DID Race Chain

Custom Grips,Graphics by CEET,White Brothers E-Series Exhaust,Modified Compression Release,Acerbis Frame Guards

MOmilkman, I got the same thing from different places that said the same thing yours said. And of coarse I did not open it. ~Hit-man~

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

------------------

00'YZ426F 00'XR50R LATER DAYS!!!