In the market for some upgrades, could use your knowledge guys.

10 replies to this topic
  • barch88

Posted April 29, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Okay, well before I go out and ride agian Im going to be picking up

Skid Plate
New Chain
Radiator Braces

Should I go with a new chain, and sprocket combo, or just new chain, keep stock sprockets? They only have about 5 hours on them at the most and are in great shape.

I know I need a new chain, so Im looking for the best bang for my buck. I would really like to get the X-Ring Gold, but its pricey. What chains are there that are really good, will not strech a lot.

Skid Plate, does anyone know where I can get the plastic one that Reed uses, or that one guy on here has on his polished 450? If not, what about other skid plates, some nice looking ones that cover the entire front of engine, not just the bottom like the stock guide plate.

Last, Radiator braces, not really picky on this one, just something to protect them that are a reasonable price, but still good.

Thanks. Mike.

• 642MX

Posted April 29, 2006 - 01:06 PM

I have the Primary Drive chain on my bike. Its priced really good and holds up as good as any O-ring chain that I've used. I use Devol radiator guards, I like my radiators protected from the side and the front, and the Devol's do that very well. I can't help you on the skid plate, 426's came with a good one from the factory.

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2006 - 04:06 PM

I have a Regina ORH, for which I paid $80, that is...yep, it's two years old, and measures less than 1% "stretched". No stiff links, either. I think I've adjusted it about twice.

Your stock sprockets should be OK as long as you haven't run it too long under the OEM chain.

• barch88

Posted April 29, 2006 - 08:04 PM

Nope, havent ran it hard at all. Just break-in.

Im still looking for chains, I would like to get a Gold chain, how does Renthal compare to DID?

I think I will get the Devol radiator braces, I see a lot of good reviews on them as well.

Noone on the Skid-Plate? Should I even need one, or will the stock gilde plate be fine? Im not going to be trail riding, so there should be little to no rocks that can hit the engine, and if they did I doubt they would do any damange.

-Mike

• tmckeown

Posted April 29, 2006 - 10:20 PM

Hi,

I'm running DID 520 VM with renthal sprokets :crazy:

Timo Mc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:16 AM

You can buy Yamaha enduro engine protectors http://www.yamaha-mo...5376/all/1.aspx

• barch88

Posted April 30, 2006 - 08:17 AM

I don't want the Enduro ones, there too wide for my liking, I just want something that looks nice, and is flush with the inside of the frame. Thanks for your response though!

• ben_suhard

Posted April 30, 2006 - 08:31 AM

Oh, ok, when you said you wanted one that covers the entire front of the engine I thought you meant it covers the water pump etc. Yamaha sell the other ones that curve up the front, inside the frame rails aswell.

• barch88

Posted April 30, 2006 - 09:35 AM

I was looking at that one on there site, the MX one. Now that does go all the way up the frame too? It said "Guide Plate" so I wasnt sure if it just covered the bottom of the engine. If it does then I will buy that, along with the rear master brake cylinder cover, and front brake disc cover.

• FriscoKLR

Posted April 30, 2006 - 11:21 AM

Check out Lightspeed carbon. A little pricey but looks like good stuff.

http://www.lightspeedperf.com/

• ben_suhard

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:47 AM

I was looking at that one on there site, the MX one. Now that does go all the way up the frame too? It said "Guide Plate" so I wasnt sure if it just covered the bottom of the engine. If it does then I will buy that, along with the rear master brake cylinder cover, and front brake disc cover.

By looking at where the two front bolt holes are(where the stock glide plate ends), The GYTR glide plate protects the front of the engine and the bottom frame rails. http://www.yamaha-mo...9/0/detail.aspx

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.