Eline Stator ???'s

9 replies to this topic
  • TD-3

Posted April 29, 2006 - 09:23 AM

I picked up a used eline dual sport kit on ebay. The kit came with no instructions and a broken yellow lead near the windings. I soldered the wire on then installed the stator, started the bike and I'm getting no output from the stator.

The eline has 3 wires 2-yellow, 1-red. I have continuity between the yellows and red wire, is this right? Should I be getting 12v dc directly from the stator?

I tested the lighting system with a battery and it all works fine.

Any help is much appreciated.

• trailriderjoe

Posted April 29, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Back when I had my E-line on my 98YZ400 I used the two red wires and left the yellow lead capped off.

I'll dig around and see if I can find my schematic from E-line.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 29, 2006 - 07:19 PM

I'm pretty sure it puts out AC power off the coil, then goes through the regulator/rectifier. Did you try going to their website for a wiring diagram?

• Zique

Posted April 29, 2006 - 07:48 PM

E-lines should be putting out AC because they tell you to run a regulator/rectifier as well which would mean that they are telling you to convert it to DC. Maybe the stators they make specifically for the DS kits are made to put out DC...that's strange...I'd call them.

• TD-3

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:23 AM

E-lines should be putting out AC because they tell you to run a regulator/rectifier as well which would mean that they are telling you to convert it to DC.

Right you are! I didn't receive any instructions with the kit and eline's website is less than helpful. Once I plugged in all the connections to the "blackbox" and mounted the handlebar control switch (must be the ground?) everything started working. :crazy:

Thanks again for the replies.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Cool...glad to hear it. BTW, how much did you end up getting the kit for (if you don't mine me asking)?

• TD-3

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:16 PM

how much did you end up getting the kit for

I got the whole eline dual sport kit for about $195 shipped. The only issues were the broken wire and a missing rear brake switch (still a great deal.)

For now I'm just using the stator and headlight.

• Zique

Posted April 30, 2006 - 03:55 PM

Heck yeah that's a great deal. The stator alone is over $400! I'll have to keep my eye on eBay I guess to get mine.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2006 - 09:45 PM

Maybe the stators they make specifically for the DS kits are made to put out DC...that's strange...I'd call them.

That's not only strange, it's impossible. Only a generator with brushes and a commutator can produce DC output without a rectifier.

• teamtoxic

Posted May 01, 2006 - 08:52 PM

You'll be seeing AC output, as GR explained.

Red is your negative. Think of each yellow wire as a positive, each offering 100 Watts. I'm not sure if you should wire the two in series, I just use a regulator for each yellow wire. If you need DC power, you can pick up a full-wave rectifier from any RadioShack for cheap... OR go with the regulator/rectifiers carried by off road suppliers such as BajaDesigns

Cheers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.