Premature Throttle Cable Wear

4 replies to this topic
  • The_Missile

Posted October 16, 2001 - 09:41 PM

Removed the carb last night and saw both throttle cables were worn, one down to 1 strand. I looked at the setup (correctly installed and aligned) and they cant fail to wear prematurely..... the cable exits the pipe end at an ANGLE in order to engage itself on the throttle roller on the carb. This causes the cable to rub on a sharp metal edge (the end of the threaded pipe).
Is there a fix to this ?
Any reccommendations ?

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

• Taffy

Posted October 17, 2001 - 12:54 AM

use a zip tie to pull the cables toward each other which will slightly chnga the angle. especially if you just slightly undo the pinch nut, twiddle and then re-tighten.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueThunder

Posted October 17, 2001 - 06:48 AM

And order a Zip-Ty Racing throttle wheel to replace the stock one. A 1 piece machined unit instead of the stamped and crimped stocker so there's no pinched area grinding on the cables. A really cool gadget.

------------------
Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin(plus everythhing else cool that Ty offers), Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

• MX_Tuner

Posted October 17, 2001 - 02:25 PM

I bend teh stock cable bracket at the carb so the pull is straight. Seemed like a no-brainer at the moment.

------------------
MX Tuner

• The_Missile

Posted October 19, 2001 - 05:10 AM

aaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh they dont have one in stock and the order didnt come in from the warehouse.......I'm screwed for riding this week-end. Like a dumbass I threw the thing out - the other cable was servicable !!! S H I T :) :D

Anyone know of a spit and string kind of a fix? Posted Image

Oh well I guess at least I can get my hands greasy.....

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.