New member with xr650l questions

6 replies to this topic
  • Bodhisattva

Posted April 29, 2006 - 12:01 AM

Hi everyone!

Im looking into buying a 06 xr650L....

I have a few questions, i have been searching and not finding the answers.

1. is the 06xr650l green sticker?
2. can dual sports be green sticker, i herd somewhere they cant anymore??? true or no?
3. do they give you plates for the bike when you go in for your motorcycle licence?
i dont have one, im over 21 so it said i dont even need to take a road test, just a written? is this correct?
4. will the xr650l beat my friends ktm625smc?

thanks everyone.

• underwatersimon

Posted April 29, 2006 - 01:03 AM

The xrL is pretty tame out of the box. You can give it more umph with very little work (under $100.00). And I doubt it'll beat the 625....ever.

• nxridge

Posted April 29, 2006 - 02:56 AM

I picked up my 06 650l this past Tuesday.
What a great bike.
I live in CT. had the dealer reggy the bike , so it cam with plates.
In my state i had to take the written test for my permit and have to take
the road test within 90 days. (im 37 with a valid drivers lic.)
I have no info on Cali req. for bike license.
Try the cali dmv website see if you cant find the license info there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted April 29, 2006 - 07:30 AM

Hi everyone!

Im looking into buying a 06 xr650L....

Good choice if you're not looking for a "hardcore" dirt bike.

I have a few questions, i have been searching and not finding the answers.

1. is the 06xr650l green sticker?

The street reg & plate overides the need for a green sticker.

2. can dual sports be green sticker, i herd somewhere they cant anymore??? true or no?

They are by default as long as they have curent tags, the correct spark arrestor & aren't louder than 96 db's for whatever exhaust system is on the bike.

3. do they give you plates for the bike when you go in for your motorcycle licence?

Registration is separate from obtaining the Class M1 endorsement on an already valid CA Class C motor vehicle license.

i dont have one, im over 21 so it said i dont even need to take a road test, just a written? is this correct?

Not correct. You'll need to pass both the written & riding skills test. The written portion allows you to obtain your MC permit & is good for 6 months after being issued. If you don't pass your riding skills test before that time, you'll need to start the process over again.

4. will the xr650l beat my friends ktm625smc?

Highly doubtful. The XRL is a quick machine, but not that quick...

thanks everyone.

Good luck & post your progress.

• Bodhisattva

Posted April 29, 2006 - 11:21 AM

Dual dog, thats for the great answers. thanks to the other guys to.

So if i have plates on it i dont even need a green sticker on the 650l?

if i keep my bike stock, with the stock exaust, is it pretty quiet? and should i be able to ride anywhere ohv can ride, anytime of the year?
thats what i want, the freedom to go anywhere, anytime.

If i buy new from the dealer, do they give me my plate and get it all registered like a car?

msrp is like 5,800...is there room for the dealer to play like a car, can i strike a better deal?

thanks for the help guys.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 29, 2006 - 11:40 AM

When buying from a dealer, tax, license & set up charges are included. You'll get a temp registration & then the plate comes in the mail. Negotiations are up to you. Best to shop around & have dealers compete for your business... :crazy: Having cash on hand usually gets their interest up.

A bone-stock XRL passes all regulations, lights, sound & sparks, if sold new in the people's republic of california. :ride:

• Bodhisattva

Posted April 29, 2006 - 12:22 PM

sweet. sounds good.
it said on the ca dmv that you cant ride your bike to the test lol so i guess id have to throw it in my truck to bring it to the test.
where do you ca guys go riding?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.