Xr650r Electric Start

11 replies to this topic
  • HONDAXR

Posted April 28, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Has anyone tried any of the electric start kits?
My knee is messed up and trying to start my XR isn't helping out.

• Mudshark

Posted April 28, 2006 - 04:48 PM

Yup, I'm getting over the hill a bit too... lets see some pics of your E-Start
conversions... I hear theyre butt ugly, but would love to see one or two
before taking the plunge. :crazy:

• BLSBRKR65

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:14 PM

Got my electric start XR650R on Ebay right now. Check out item no. 4634308693

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I have been running it since June of 2004 with no problems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Mudshark

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the pics OMT.. it does look a bit like a coffee can... but not as
bad as I thought. I figure I'll get me one as soon as finance allows.
How do you hook up the battery? I have a BD DSK, can I just route the
charge to the starter battery and run the DS stuff off it?
I'm running a dual output stator and have the main lights runniing off their
own coil via the AC regulator.
The second coil runs the BD DSK as normal (except for the head / taillight)
I guess I need to know if the BajaDesigns DC Regulator / Rectifier will be
able to keep the starter battery healthy?

• qadsan

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:29 PM

I also have the BD e-start kit on one of my 650R's (my d/s 650R). It's ugly, but it's tough and it works. I've only had mine installed since ~July of last year, but it has worked flawless and I sometimes use it a couple times a week while playing around town. I was not impressed with the machine work on the side case, so I spiffed it up a bit by powder coating it. Here's some more pics...

BD e-start pic 1

BD e-start pic 2

BD e-start pic 3

Installation is easy, but it takes a bit of time to get it all done right. I think I spent about ~6 hours installing the kit from start to finish, but a chunk of that time was spent tidying things up and integrating other things into the wiring with my Electrex kit, making a harness for my battery charger, GPS, wiring in a brake light flasher, headlight modulator, etc. After you've done one, it will probably take half that time or less to do it again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the pics OMT.. it does look a bit like a coffee can... but not as
bad as I thought. I figure I'll get me one as soon as finance allows.
How do you hook up the battery? I have a BD DSK, can I just route the
charge to the starter battery and run the DS stuff off it?
I'm running a dual output stator and have the main lights runniing off their
own coil via the AC regulator.
The second coil runs the BD DSK as normal (except for the head / taillight)
I guess I need to know if the BajaDesigns DC Regulator / Rectifier will be
able to keep the starter battery healthy?

Did you have Baja Designs redo your stator when you installed the Kit. If not you might add that to the cost of the E-start. They rewind it for about $120.00 so it will put out 250 watts. It will then handle anything you throw at it. Also they guarantee the stator for as long as you own it.

The installation instructions give detailed information on how to wire the starter and your Baja Designs DSK. So you will have no worries about your BD - DSK. Just let Baja Designs know you have their kit and they will fill you in with any installation problems that you may come across.

• Mudshark

Posted April 28, 2006 - 08:12 PM

OMT - yes it's a 200+ dual lighting coil stator from Ricky Stator.
Pretty much identiacle to the BD one. Thanks for the input.

qadsan, neat job with the cover! :crazy: that looks a lot nicer.
what did you pay to get the powder coat on there?

• qadsan

Posted April 29, 2006 - 08:25 AM

...what did you pay to get the powder coat on there?

It should cost about $50 to powder coat this and a few other items in this particular custom color, which was "black chrome". If a more common color was used such as plain black, then it should only cost about ~$25 to ~$30 or so to get this item done since most shops can simply piggy back it into another job. This was a freebee for me :crazy:

• Mudshark

Posted April 29, 2006 - 09:24 AM

It should cost about $50 to powder coat this and a few other items in this particular custom color, which was "black chrome". If a more common color was used such as plain black, then it should only cost about ~$25 to ~$30 or so to get this item done since most shops can simply piggy back it into another job. This was a freebee for me :ride:

Great, thanks. It looks great :crazy:
The only "problem" I have with the new side cover is that it looks like it
sticks out quite far beyond the skid plate... or is this just an illusion?
This is why I wanted pics of one fitted to the motor... just to see up close
how it looks / fits.

• qadsan

Posted April 30, 2006 - 08:05 PM

...The only "problem" I have with the new side cover is that it looks like itsticks out quite far beyond the skid plate... or is this just an illusion?...

It's not an illusion and it does stick out. The case is made from fairly thick aluminum and is probably quite tough, but it might not be tough enough for that rock with your name on it.

Speaking of rocks, we took a nasty rocky trail last week and it did a number on the bikes in our group. 8 riders in all and 6 of them fell at least once. The back 2 bolts from my skid plate completely sheared off and seriously elongated the holes in my skid plate and frame. The two inner spacers welded to my skid plate busted off and rattled around like marbles inside my engine :crazy:. My skid plate was gorged in several areas and nearly torn all the way through in one spot in addition to having several dents in the thick aluminum. That was the worst of it for me besides badly pulling a muscle in my leg, but the CRF250R on this ride had the frame dented, swingarm dented and scractched up, bent rear rotor, skuffed up fork tube & front rim, bent bars, scratched plastics / graphics, torn grip, etc. It was one of those rides where you just had to keep on going because there was no real way of going back due to the technical nature of the trail, steepness & rocks. Fortunately, nobody had their cases broken, but it could have easily happened and this was the kind of ride that could have easily popped a hole in a side case, including the BD case.

• rmhrc630

Posted April 30, 2006 - 09:14 PM

It's not an illusion and it does stick out. The case is made from fairly thick aluminum and is probably quite tough, but it might not be tough enough for that rock with your name on it.

Speaking of rocks, we took a nasty rocky trail last week and it did a number on the bikes in our group. 8 riders in all and 6 of them fell at least once. The back 2 bolts from my skid plate completely sheared off and seriously elongated the holes in my skid plate and frame. The two inner spacers welded to my skid plate busted off and rattled around like marbles inside my engine :crazy:. My skid plate was gorged in several areas and nearly torn all the way through in one spot in addition to having several dents in the thick aluminum. That was the worst of it for me besides badly pulling a muscle in my leg, but the CRF250R on this ride had the frame dented, swingarm dented and scractched up, bent rear rotor, skuffed up fork tube & front rim, bent bars, scratched plastics / graphics, torn grip, etc. It was one of those rides where you just had to keep on going because there was no real way of going back due to the technical nature of the trail, steepness & rocks. Fortunately, nobody had their cases broken, but it could have easily happened and this was the kind of ride that could have easily popped a hole in a side case, including the BD case.

jesus gadsan - what a ride!!!

got any pics??

shearing off mounting bolts and goughing frames is full on!!!!

the pig must have been a handful...thank christ for estart right?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.