Stock Chain of 06

46 replies to this topic
  • Zique

Posted April 30, 2006 - 11:30 AM

^^That would be the proper maintenance for the chain. Keep it lubed properly and sitting at the right slack...keep an eye on your sprocket condition as well as they can damage the chain (although it is usually the other way around)...as far as a chain goes, I don't think there is anything else you can do.

• RoughR1der

Posted April 30, 2006 - 02:21 PM

if u can afford a new 450 u can afford to replace the crappiest peice on the bike, and one of the most important parts, with a quality one before u even break it in.

it's worth it!

• Reyndogg

Posted April 30, 2006 - 06:05 PM

i have a brand new stock chain for sale, not even a single ride on it :crazy:

• dbehr624

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:33 PM

Well, what chain should i get. I am thinking a DID 520 ERT Gold 120 Link. :crazy:

• JRozman

Posted May 03, 2006 - 05:15 AM

Just bought a used '06 yz450f. Does this bike require a spacer on the front sproket like a CRF if you use a DID 520 x ring?

Thanks,

Jess

• Ga426owner

Posted May 03, 2006 - 05:30 AM

Well, what chain should i get. I am thinking a DID 520 ERT Gold 120 Link. :ride:

A great choice ... been using this one for years add Ironman sprockets for longer than normal life :crazy:

motosports out 189.00 complete

• Reyndogg

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:47 AM

Just bought a used '06 yz450f. Does this bike require a spacer on the front sproket like a CRF if you use a DID 520 x ring?

Thanks,

Jess

Nope :crazy:

• dbehr624

Posted May 03, 2006 - 03:36 PM

Well i got the DID X ring chain!! :crazy: :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2006 - 03:50 PM

When the chain stretches outside the max adjustment range they are susceptible to failure.

I saw a stock chain break (threw the ML) in 30 minutes of use at the track once. ... So tell me, what was the cause of the chain failure? a poor chain or lack of attention to the chain adjustment?

Any chain that has reached 2.5% over length calls for immediate replacement, according to the service manual. If you want to keep using the sprockets you have for any length of time, it should be 1.5%. A chain as long as you described was most likely already beyond that.

Any chain that wears as rapidly as the OEM YZ chain is a piece of crap (I apologize, but that's as polite as I can be on that), and should be replaced before it has a chance to screw something up. Any defense of the stock chain is indefensible in and of itself.

By contrast, my Regina ORN has been adjusted perhaps 3 times in two years.

• Satch0922

Posted May 03, 2006 - 05:44 PM

By contrast, my Regina ORN has been adjusted perhaps 3 times in two years.

HECK YES! I had a Regina ORN on my YZ426 and it was indestructible....I think I adjusted it once a year! :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted May 03, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Now its time for Yamaha to team up with Renthal or DID and get some good/decent stock chains for the upcoming years. They got the Handlebars down.

• RoughR1der

Posted May 03, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Now its time for Yamaha to team up with Renthal or DID and get some good/decent stock chains for the upcoming years. They got the Handlebars down.

if they go with a higher bend :crazy:

• SureBlue

Posted May 03, 2006 - 08:50 PM

The stock chain is a DID chain. But what you order is what you get. If DID would not make it for Yamaha, someone else would. It really is a worthless piece of crap. Compare the stretch between a well maintained stock chain with 9 hours on it to a new Renthal O-ring chain
Posted Image

• DigilubeJay

Posted May 04, 2006 - 03:57 AM

SureBlue,
There is no way to compare the two by doing that. There are different clearances between the side plates in the new items. Apples and oranges.

If a chain breaks, it had nothing to do with the chain itself. It was the maintenance procedure used. That or an unforseen trail hazzard.
I will argue all day long on that one, and to say that they break from normal care is nothing but specualtion. Wrong at the very least.

When a person has trouble with their chains, it is most often due to the fact that they are misinsterpreting the maintenance procedures.
Many who feel they are placing proper tension on the chain, will often times not being placing the proper tension at all.
Of course, the story will be that the guys stock chain was junk, and it broke on him. Which of course gets passed on to message boards as if it were a point of fact.
When the fact is that neither the guy who broke the chain, or the guy passing the bad info, has any clue as to what is really "proper" maintenance.

Send me you stock chains....right off the new bikes...and I will show you how to make them last a good long while.
Or better yet, figure it out for yourselves and stop passing bad info based on hearsay and speculations.

This always brings the cynics..as a matter of fact, one of them has already discounted what I had to say before I even said it...very astute of him as well...knowing I would chime in.

Bottom line is this....folks do not know the proper procedures to make it possible for a chain to live as long as possible. Chains that are of higher quality materials, or with sealed lubrication will obvioulsy appear to last longer when given bad maintenence, but they too would last longer if given the proper care and adjustments.

If the stock chains truely were junk, then NOBODY would be able to get any sort of life out of them at all...but that isn't the case. Those who do know how to properly maintain their equipment will see good life out of the stock chains. How can that be? :crazy:

• CRFThumper

Posted May 04, 2006 - 04:22 AM

SureBlue,
There is no way to compare the two by doing that. There are different clearances between the side plates in the new items. Apples and oranges.

If a chain breaks, it had nothing to do with the chain itself. It was the maintenance procedure used. That or an unforseen trail hazzard.
I will argue all day long on that one, and to say that they break from normal care is nothing but specualtion. Wrong at the very least.

When a person has trouble with their chains, it is most often due to the fact that they are misinsterpreting the maintenance procedures.
Many who feel they are placing proper tension on the chain, will often times not being placing the proper tension at all.
Of course, the story will be that the guys stock chain was junk, and it broke on him. Which of course gets passed on to message boards as if it were a point of fact.
When the fact is that neither the guy who broke the chain, or the guy passing the bad info, has any clue as to what is really "proper" maintenance.

Send me you stock chains....right off the new bikes...and I will show you how to make them last a good long while.
Or better yet, figure it out for yourselves and stop passing bad info based on hearsay and speculations.

This always brings the cynics..as a matter of fact, one of them has already discounted what I had to say before I even said it...very astute of him as well...knowing I would chime in.

Bottom line is this....folks do not know the proper procedures to make it possible for a chain to live as long as possible. Chains that are of higher quality materials, or with sealed lubrication will obvioulsy appear to last longer when given bad maintenence, but they too would last longer if given the proper care and adjustments.

If the stock chains truely were junk, then NOBODY would be able to get any sort of life out of them at all...but that isn't the case. Those who do know how to properly maintain their equipment will see good life out of the stock chains. How can that be? :crazy:

So you are telling us that the stocker is as good as a higher end non ring chain like lets say a DID ERT?When I ran the stocker I had it on a track for LESS than 10 mins and it was sloppy loose,but when I put the DID ERV on it it lasted all day and never needed adj! HOW CAN THAT BE? :ride:

• SureBlue

Posted May 04, 2006 - 06:58 AM

I'm also using a DID ERT non-o-ring chain, and with the same maintenance and slack it lasts way much longer than the OEM chain. I wonder what I am doing wrong or different with the OEM that I am not doing with the ERT. :crazy:

• Satch0922

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:04 AM

. I wonder what I am doing wrong or different with the OEM that I am not doing with the ERT. :crazy:

Your doing nothing wrong. Maybe we should clarify all this by simply saying there are better chains available than the stocker. So if you rank them on durability where does the stocker really rank?

Not sure why anyone would waste time defending the stock chain. It , like many other parts on a new bike, are there to be adequate because they know most people will change them with their preference. So if your asking....I PREFER a better chain. They last longer when you don't properly maintain them ..... :ride: :ride:

• xcape

Posted May 04, 2006 - 07:07 AM

My stock chain needed adjustment the first 2 rides, I would think that is normal? After 2 more rides still the same no adjustment needed. I think removing the chain and cleaning with varsol then soaking it in oil every couple of rides makes the difference.

• DPW

Posted May 04, 2006 - 09:42 AM

So you are telling us that the stocker is as good as a higher end non ring chain like lets say a DID ERT?When I ran the stocker I had it on a track for LESS than 10 mins and it was sloppy loose,but when I put the DID ERV on it it lasted all day and never needed adj! HOW CAN THAT BE? :crazy:

The stock chain is crap I don't care how you adjust it or lube it.

I have a brand new OEM chain that has not been used if anybody is interested... :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted May 04, 2006 - 12:17 PM

I'm also using a DID ERT non-o-ring chain, and with the same maintenance and slack it lasts way much longer than the OEM chain. I wonder what I am doing wrong or different with the OEM that I am not doing with the ERT. :crazy:

I stand by this:
The stocker is junk......the ERT is quality......I simply do not agree that the stocker is as good as OEM......period!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.