Stock Chain of 06

46 replies to this topic
  • dbehr624

Posted April 28, 2006 - 02:29 PM

What is wrong with it?? I keep hearing that everybody should change it. Why is that :crazy:

• renthal1

Posted April 28, 2006 - 02:41 PM

they stretch alot

• Satch0922

Posted April 28, 2006 - 02:53 PM

they break .....and the risk is a nice hole in your cases. Get rid of it....it's JUNK!

• NYMXer

Posted April 28, 2006 - 03:59 PM

It's a poor quality non O ring chain. I replaced mine w a RK gold O ring and have not adjusted it for 4 tanks of gas yet! :crazy:

• Zique

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Curious, I know the X-ring is better because it is completely sealed, but it is really worth the extra $$.

• ben_suhard

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:55 PM

they break .....and the risk is a nice hole in your cases. Get rid of it....it's JUNK!

Ok, now I'm getting worried. I've only done 1.2hrs of riding and my chain doesn't need adjusting yet. A bit of stretching I don't really mind, but I definitely don't want it to break! How many people here have broken the stock chain or heard of it breaking on the '06 YZ450?

• ben_suhard

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Curious, I know the X-ring is better because it is completely sealed, but it is really worth the extra $$.

The x-ring doesn't sap as much power as the o-ring chains coz there's less drag in the links. If you want no drag which means more power, use a standard chain. A standard chain wears out quicker coz dirt gets in and grinds away at the chain, which is also known as stretching.

• Zique

Posted April 28, 2006 - 08:31 PM

The x-ring doesn't sap as much power as the o-ring chains coz there's less drag in the links. If you want no drag which means more power, use a standard chain. A standard chain wears out quicker coz dirt gets in and grinds away at the chain, which is also known as stretching.

I see...looks like I'll just save up my pennies and splurge for the x-ring next time.

As for the original question (sorry I sort of highjacked your thread for a bit), I can't say that I have heard of the stock 06 chain breaking, but I have heard of having to adjust it quite frequently due to stretching. The couple guys I know that are running around on 06's have already changed them because they got frusterated (sp?) adjusting all the time. Hope that helps.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 29, 2006 - 04:25 AM

The stock chain is junk my 06 did not have a oring...I replace only with standard 520 non oring non xring chains for mx....DID ERT Gold 520 with Ironman Sprockets last over a year with every weekend riding racing..... :crazy:

• RCannon

Posted April 29, 2006 - 05:19 AM

If you change the stock chain out quickly you will find your stock sprokets lasting a lot longer. You actually save money by hanging it on the wall. You then have a brand new chain for resale time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FlynRyn

Posted April 29, 2006 - 08:55 AM

I have to say that is totally incorrect, they do not break a lot. Your lack of attention to your stock chain allows it to stretch to a point where it will get caught or bound up then it breaks and puts a hole in your case. So who is at fault there? The inanimate object that is your motorcycle or the rider who fails to pay attention and maintain his motorcycle?

That being said the stock chain does stretch quickly in the 1st few hours even to a point where you may have to adjust it in the 1st 10 minutes even multiple times. If you keep it adjusted correctly there will be little to no issues until its time to replace. I change mine out like the others now because the gold xring stretches far less if at all initially allowing me to keep a shorter wheelbase and it is one less thing for me to worry about.

I would hazard to guess 90 % of all failures are maintenance related or a lack of pre ride inspection.. so congrats on your new 06 keep her well maintained.

• dbehr624

Posted April 29, 2006 - 09:58 AM

Well actually i dont have one yet. DAMN! but i am getting one really soon. I am getting rid of my old 125 and BAM i will have it. I was just seeing if why i kept hearing that.

• Satch0922

Posted April 29, 2006 - 12:11 PM

I have to say that is totally incorrect, they do not break a lot. Your lack of attention to your stock chain allows it to stretch to a point where it will get caught or bound up then it breaks and puts a hole in your case. So who is at fault there? .

Not sure if your using the "your" and "you" in the generic sense because you have no idea how "I" or "anyone" maintains their bike. Besides I said they break (which they do) I did not say they break "a lot".

So if it is user error, why don't good chains break too? Because like you said, it is not the chain, it's poor maintanence.

It never ceases to amaze me how people assume they know how people use their bike and how they maintain it. They make false unfounded assumptions so they can defend a $29 OEM chain. Amazing.....

• RCannon

Posted April 29, 2006 - 02:33 PM

Satch, the funny part is this. Even at discounted prices new sprokets are anywhere from 50-75 bucks for anything even halfway decent. An excellent chain can be bought for about 35.00. I paid 47.00 last week for a gold DID.

The good chain will allow th esprokets to last. The cheap chain wears everything out. Still some insist on running it.

I dont care how often the stock crap breaks. About the time it happens to "YOU" it is once too often. The broken chain damage gets expensive.

Still, you have the satisfaction in knowing you were able to use the stock chain to its fullest.

• Satch0922

Posted April 29, 2006 - 02:38 PM

:crazy:

• RCannon

Posted April 29, 2006 - 07:18 PM

Satch, while growing up I lived close to a family that was slightly odd. They always stockpiled HUGE amounts of rice. Weavels would invade the rice. the family taught me that boiling the rice would kill the weavles and they would rise to the top. You the scouped them out with a big spoon.

I imagine these folks would have loved stock Yamaha chains.

• Zique

Posted April 29, 2006 - 07:26 PM

the family taught me that boiling the rice would kill the weavles and they would rise to the top. You the scouped them out with a big spoon.

That's a good idea...why waste perfectly good rice?

• FlynRyn

Posted April 29, 2006 - 10:25 PM

Not sure if your using the "your" and "you" in the generic sense because you have no idea how "I" or "anyone" maintains their bike. Besides I said they break (which they do) I did not say they break "a lot".

So if it is user error, why don't good chains break too? Because like you said, it is not the chain, it's poor maintanence.

It never ceases to amaze me how people assume they know how people use their bike and how they maintain it. They make false unfounded assumptions so they can defend a $29 OEM chain. Amazing.....

Well my bad you did not say a lot. and yes you /your was generic. The higher quality / tensile strength chains do not require as much maintenance as a stock chain because they do not stretch nearly as much. When the chain stretches outside the max adjustment range they are susceptible to failure.

I saw a stock chain break (threw the ML) in 30 minutes of use at the track once. I put a new clip on it for the kid and let me tell you the chain had so much slack I was able to put the new ML on without loosening the wheel and adjusting it in. So tell me, what was the cause of the chain failure? a poor chain or lack of attention to the chain adjustment?

• Satch0922

Posted April 30, 2006 - 05:03 AM

it's all good. Maybe my initial post should have been:

"I don't trust the stock chain so the first thing I do is replace it with a high quality unit"

:ride: :crazy:

• dbehr624

Posted April 30, 2006 - 11:12 AM

Well i am picking my bike up today, so now i can start worrying about chains. When you say maintenence, what do you mean. I never pay much attention to mine except for putting chain lube on it and keeping it at the proper slack. what else is there to do? :crazy: :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.