YZ400F Fuel Tank Probs..

4 replies to this topic
  • metalmulisha

Posted April 28, 2006 - 02:46 AM

Hey guys went to take off my right hand radiator shroud today and one bolt just spins in the housing. You can feel the little copper/brass square insert spining in the tank housing. Any ideas how to get it out and then fix it, any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

• metalmulisha

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:05 PM

anybody :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRH

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Can't help getting it out, but, heres what I did to fix or repair. You know those plastic type rivots used in automobiles for dashboard and door moldings, They come in different lengeths and thicknesses. I push these into the holes where the bolt used to be, They hold very well, except when freeway speeds reach 75 or better ( bike in bed of truck) I use to carry spares so if and when I lost a bolt anywhere in the plastic, I just pop these thing in and away I go. One good advantage of these things, is when you unfortunately meet an unmoveable object they rip out W/O totalling your plastics. If all you need is to replace one bolt then this would be an ideal fix for you.

• mxis4me

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:06 PM

this is what i had to do on mine it messed up my shroud when i took it off and also it had aftermarket plastic ( no metal inserts ) basiclly cut the shroud with a utility knife . then get a good needle nose vise grips too grab the flats of the insert , u can cut away at the plastic to get a decent hold on it with the vise grips then try to break it loose if it comes out then get piece of threaded rod and make a stud 4 or 5 threads longer than the the bolt u took out . on one end of the stud cut a slot into with a small file or a dremel and put the stud back in place back in place of the bolt and then use a flanged nut to hold it all together and when u take off the shroud next time u and use a screwdriver to hold the stud to break loose the nut . it worked on my wr for years! good luck

• ben_suhard

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:11 PM

How about trying an impact driver or air impact gun to try to get the bolt out? Spray some WD-40 in there first.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.