• YUKI

Posted April 27, 2006 - 09:36 PM

ThanX

• TimBrp

Posted April 28, 2006 - 02:31 AM

No, I wouldn't reccomend it.

• pbusanga

Posted April 28, 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hi, i was wondering the opposite. i have a KN filter but oil for UNI foam filter can i use this oil on the KN. i live in Africa and i can not get hold of the KN oil. also what can i use to clean the Kn filter i do not have Kn filter cleaner
thanx in advance

• BWB63

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:00 AM

No, you shouldn't. The foam oil is very sticky and the K&N is not.

• pbusanga

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:16 AM

ok wont use it thanks for advice. it is a real nuisance because i cant bring oil with me from USA on international flights. i can buy engine / gear oils here is there any temporary sustitute i could use. also how can i clean KN filter without KN filter cleaner (same import problem)

• goblin127

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:46 AM

Can I use K&N oil on UNI filter?

I've had to use it in a pinch,didn't seem to do any harm though. Better than no oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:51 AM

ok wont use it thanks for advice. it is a real nuisance because i cant bring oil with me from USA on international flights. i can buy engine / gear oils here is there any temporary sustitute i could use. also how can i clean KN filter without KN filter cleaner (same import problem)

Those K&N filters are made useing cotton. Maybe try useing clothes detergent,Or if you can fing it citrus cleaner. I think one of the important parts to doing that job are letting the filter air dry and not useing any artificial means like a hair dryer. Cotton shrinks so be carefull.

• rkuckkahn

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Clean air is key to engine life. I only use what the manufacture of the filter recommends. On my UNI I only use UNI oil.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 28, 2006 - 09:04 AM

If you have a foam filter, in a pinch you can use heavy weight motor oil to oil it. It's better to use a real Foam filter oil, like Bel Ray. It's tackier when setup and will do a better job trapping dirt.

If you are using a K & N filter, you can clean it with Simple Green, 409 or something similar for the kitchen that cuts grease, if you dont have thier product. Do NOT use foam filter oil on a K & N filter.

you'll need to oil that K & N filter, so use thier spray for that.

• desmo900

Posted April 28, 2006 - 10:18 AM

One time I used K&N oil on my Uni filter, by the end of the days ride most of oil had drained to the bottom of the air box.. The top 2/3rds of the filter was nearly DRY.. I would defiantly NOT use K&N oil for foam filters.

• qadsan

Posted April 28, 2006 - 10:22 AM

K&N's viscosity is all wrong for foam filters like Uni, Twin Air, No Toil, etc, and there's not enough tacifier in it, etc. You'd also never want to use foam air filter oil on a K&N. They're two completely different applications in terms of air filter oils.

• BWB63

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:47 PM

Some oils like NO-toil will eat the rubber around the K&N filter. Rich Tracy destroied his K&N doing just that.

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:43 PM

I've used ATF in both w/o problems.

• YUKI

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:51 PM

Absolotley correct. I went and got the UNI oil (honey). Way thicker than the K&N.

ThanX, Yuki

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.