UPDATE 426 street legal process

8 replies to this topic
  • lomitamike

Posted October 16, 2001 - 10:17 AM

This is not as easy as I thought it would be, ran into a roadblock at Auto Club. Here is the story. Recieved my VT. plate about 3 weeks after I sent the application along with CA. title and a copy of the bill of sale from Long Beach motor sports. The VT. title came 3 weeks after the plate. Today I went to auto club in Torrance to swap my VT. plate & title for a CA. plate and title. I filled out the application we went out and inspected the vin # then while feeding the information into the computer she asked me the following questions and these were my answers. Is this a street bike? As far as I know it is.How many miles are on it? about 8000 it has a 1000 mile odo. Where did you purchase the bike from? CA. but took it to Vermont and I just got it back to CA last week.While typing this info into her computer it told her it could not process this transfer and I would have to go to DMV. She said that the VIN# was for a ATV. Now I'm wondering if I should attempt to try this at DMV or just keep my vermont plate. Any input or somebody who has done this and can guide me past this mess would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike

• Trick_Dual_Sport

Posted October 16, 2001 - 11:04 AM

Originally posted by lomitamike:
This is not as easy as I thought it would be, ran into a roadblock at Auto Club. Here is the story. Recieved my VT. plate about 3 weeks after I sent the application along with CA. title and a copy of the bill of sale from Long Beach motor sports. The VT. title came 3 weeks after the plate. Today I went to auto club in Torrance to swap my VT. plate & title for a CA. plate and title. I filled out the application we went out and inspected the vin # then while feeding the information into the computer she asked me the following questions and these were my answers. Is this a street bike? As far as I know it is.How many miles are on it? about 8000 it has a 1000 mile odo. Where did you purchase the bike from? CA. but took it to Vermont and I just got it back to CA last week.While typing this info into her computer it told her it could not process this transfer and I would have to go to DMV. She said that the VIN# was for a ATV. Now I'm wondering if I should attempt to try this at DMV or just keep my vermont plate. Any input or somebody who has done this and can guide me past this mess would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike

• Trick_Dual_Sport

Posted October 16, 2001 - 11:06 AM

Mike,

Give me a call at 661-268-1094. I found out some information from AZ. I think you should keep the bike in VT for a little longer. Dale

• big_G

Posted October 16, 2001 - 02:16 PM

Crap... El Quagmire...

As far as AZ plates go, you will still need to get it into CA plates eventually, so unless your moving there, that won't help...

You may want to re-try the auto club, and go with the "ya its a dual-sport" routine. Who cares if the computer says its an ATV unless that prevents you from plating it. Remember, its calif. law that you must transfer plates within 10 days, so she is either obligated to CA plate ya, or by default, ALLOW you to keep the VT's. Either way you have tryed to do the right thing. (Did that sound like Dr. Laura... Posted Image )

My guess is that you should try to work with the gal at AAA, cuz you will probably get more question/answer info from your attempts. If you do go in and discover yet another hurdle, you may have a better chance of a few more "maybe I should go DMV for this" excuses, lying of course, bail out, regroup and come back later.

The gals at DMV have never been all that forthcoming. Well that and they can't cancel anything they start it would seem.

Regardless, don't get red stickered by accident cuz I'm sure that's impossible to fix. Your bike is 2000 or newer right?

Keep us posted...

[This message has been edited by big_G (edited October 16, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lomitamike

Posted October 16, 2001 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Dale didn't check replies until late I'll call you tommorow. Also thanks for any more replies Mike

• Blue_Boner

Posted October 17, 2001 - 09:44 PM

Mike, I've recently had a bad experience at the Auto Club also. I bought my bike with an Idaho plate on it and was trying to get it transfered to Ca. and the lady that inspected the bike wanted to see a "Federal" sticker that street bikes have. She was determined to find it especially with me egging her on saying it should be there. Another problem she had was that I told her it had 9,452 miles on it but it had no odometer to show her. She suggested I go to the CHP for an inspection, quickly I took my papers and left. I think I will try the DMV hoping to find a one of those brilliant government employees that doesn't know the routine. Keep me posted about your quest for the coveted Ca plate and I will do the same. Eric

------------------
98 WR400 "Strokerized"
97 EXC400
93 RMX250

• H20Pumper

Posted October 19, 2001 - 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Blue Boner:
Mike, I've recently had a bad experience at the Auto Club also. I bought my bike with an Idaho plate on it and was trying to get it transfered to Ca. and the lady that inspected the bike wanted to see a "Federal" sticker that street bikes have. She was determined to find it especially with me egging her on saying it should be there. Another problem she had was that I told her it had 9,452 miles on it but it had no odometer to show her. She suggested I go to the CHP for an inspection, quickly I took my papers and left. I think I will try the DMV hoping to find a one of those brilliant government employees that doesn't know the routine. Keep me posted about your quest for the coveted Ca plate and I will do the same. Eric

I am new to this and hope this works. I have put down a deposit on an 02 426 and have been watching the chat about WR's vs XR's I have a place in ID, which is where the bike is ordered, but live in CA. The bike will be road registered in ID. I am getting cold feet about the WR. I am mostly interested in trail riding and short road trips 10-20 to get to trailheads. I don't want to get an XR and then wish I had the WR! I also don't want to have problems trying to ride in CA. Help

------------------

• Blue_Boner

Posted October 20, 2001 - 06:42 PM

H20Pumper, you should be fine with the Idaho plate as long as you have a Idaho drivers license. The only reason I am trying to get rid of my Idaho plate is because my buddy that I bought the bike from is being a dork about keeping the thing registered in his name with me owning it. Even if you bought an XR it's not going to be any easier to register, same crap different moto. Eric

• MotoGreg

Posted October 20, 2001 - 07:44 PM

You don't need an odometer in CA. My instructions from Baja Designs said it wasn't necessary and when the DMV person carefully read the section of their manual they saw that it wasn't required. It took me a few trips to the DMV before I got someone who really had the desire to help me. You can't get someone who is stupid or someone who doesn't want to be bothered or you won't get it done. 99% of DMV employees have never done this and it won't be easy unless they listen to you. My Baja Design kit came with paperwork that told the DMV employee exactly what page of the DMV master manual to look at and follow. The DMV person must follow this procedure, you have to get them to listen to you and to follow that procedure in their manual. Once you find someone willing to listen to you and they follow that procedure it goes smoothly.

Don't have your bike inspected by the DMV or the CHP. Get two "statement of fact" sheets from the DMV. Take one to an official motorcycle brake and lamp inspection center and them fill it out saying you have DOT approved lights, signals, horn, mirror, etc. On the other on you have to write "I have read, understood, and complied with CHP document 777". Well, I think it's 777, I'd have to try and dig up my old paperwork to make sure because I licensed my bike about 2.5 years ago. And remember, the most important part.... you don't want to license it as a street bike, you will not be able to license it like that, the requirements are way too strict and your bike doesn't meet the necessary emission standards. You want to license it with what is called "Dual Registration" that is the key. You get a full street license plus you have to keep the red/green sticker, it's no big deal, the sticker registration only ads about $21 every other year. The dual registration is waaayyyyy easier to get, the requirements are very slack, that is the key.

------------------
'92 GSXR 7/11 - 4 sale, click link
'99 YZ400F - Street legal dual sport
'02 Honda CR450F - Coming soon I hope

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.