Am I An Idiot, Or What! Feedback Needed

17 replies to this topic
  • mxrayser

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Changing the spark plug on a 04 450 was a snap, after I removed the shrouds, seat, gas tank, dropped a socket 4" in the head, busted it loose and fished it and the socket out with bent tip needle nose! Is that pretty close to the way its done or do I belong in the quad forum with the drunk kid with I.Q. of 58??????? Grayracer would know

• donutman126

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I don't see anything wrong with doing that. As long as you get it out without damaging anything it doesn't matter

• mxrayser

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:19 PM

I don't see anything wrong with doing that. As long as you get it out without damaging anything it doesn't matter

Got it out, didnt take that long, looked like original plug, fired up first kick, just wanted to see if thats a normal procedure

• yamaharider324

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:43 PM

on my 03 250f i didn't remove anything to change the plug. it was a little bit of a pain to get the extension out though.

• kawirider

Posted April 27, 2006 - 05:33 PM

Yamaha makes a sparkplug tool for your bike. This tool has a rubber boot in it that grabs the spark plug. You didnt do anything wrong I am just saying that buying this little tool would speed it up a little bit.

• 2fastwhitey

Posted April 27, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Nah....your an idiot... go to the quad forum and have a beer with those chaps..... j/k..

Sounds like you got the procedure right. Taking the fairings and everything off makes it real easy. You should be able to pull the plug out though with the socket and a good swivel head extension. I made a spark plug tool for myself. I took a 5/8" spark plug socket with the rubber grommet in it and a 6" swivel extension and tapped the drain hole in the socket and put a lil tapered screw in to hold the socket from coming off the extension. Works real well. And to get the new plug in I just use a piece of rubber hose. Try it out.

• mxrayser

Posted April 27, 2006 - 06:38 PM

ThanX for the tips guys, It was pretty easy, although a field plug change would be a pain, I think i'll use your tips and fab a tool for it. ThanX

• Zique

Posted April 27, 2006 - 06:44 PM

do I belong in the quad forum with the drunk kid with I.Q. of 58???????

:crazy: :ride: :ride: That sure was a funny thread :lol: :cheers: :cheers:

Your fine by the way...no damage, no worries.

• JD_rmd

Posted April 27, 2006 - 06:47 PM

The funny thing is the yfz is mine and the trx was a friends. We switch and on a dirt road for 200 yards i beat him. Then we switched again. Now is was ridding my yfz and he was on his trx. He i beat him by 3 feet. Then i traded in my yfz for a trx 450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted April 27, 2006 - 06:58 PM

The funny thing is the yfz is mine and the trx was a friends. We switch and on a dirt road for 200 yards i beat him. Then we switched again. Now is was ridding my yfz and he was on his trx. He i beat him by 3 feet. Then i traded in my yfz for a trx 450.

what? :crazy: I'm confused as to what the relevance this post has to this thread. Did you sell the drunker the yfz?

• JD_rmd

Posted April 27, 2006 - 07:04 PM

what? :crazy: I'm confused as to what the relevance this post has to this thread. Did you sell the drunker the yfz?

the trx 450r beat the yfz 450 on a dirt path. we switched quads and the yfz bet it by 3 ft. The 2nd time we raced.

• SureBlue

Posted April 27, 2006 - 07:46 PM

the trx 450r beat the yfz 450 on a dirt path. we switched quads and the yfz bet it by 3 ft. The 2nd time we raced.

:lol: :crazy: :ride: :ride:
So what is your feedback to this thread?
What is your point? While your lingual talent is remarkable, I still am not sure which one of the quads was beaten, but I could not care less either.

• One Louder

Posted April 27, 2006 - 07:59 PM

:ride: :crazy: :ride: :lol:

• Zique

Posted April 27, 2006 - 08:02 PM

We have another english major/quad rider on our hands :crazy:

• berudd

Posted April 28, 2006 - 11:18 AM

I think it was in his signature and not intended to be a comment on the thread. Someone else made a crack about so he felt inclinded to comment I guess.

Anway, back to the thread. It sucks you gotta take the tank of but that is just how it is. In regards to that tool, it should have come wiht the bike from the dealership. Mine did.

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2006 - 12:22 PM

In the event that you don't have the OEM YZF plug tool, Motion Pro makes on that has some handy features when used as a trail pack tool. You have 3 different options for driving the tool, and it has it's own swiveling extension.

Without a 16mm plug socket (or at least a 5/8) and a "flex" extension (one on which the square drive end is slightly barrel shaped to allow the socket to run off at an angle), it sounds like you did OK. If you wanted to be an idiot, you should have broken the plug, pulled the bottom of it out past the top part, and dropped porcelain frags into your engine.

The plug boot trick is a good one, as is using a piece of rubber fuel hose. You can start the plug back in that way, too.

• Scooter33

Posted April 28, 2006 - 04:01 PM

If you have the bike in your shop I would suggest that after you remove the plug boot blow some compressed air down the hole. This way no dirt or other stuff gets into your motor. You never know what could have got in there.
Sounds like you did fine, I just wanted to throw that in for next time.

• Butta

Posted April 29, 2006 - 05:09 AM

If you have the bike in your shop I would suggest that after you remove the plug boot blow some compressed air down the hole. This way no dirt or other stuff gets into your motor. You never know what could have got in there.
Sounds like you did fine, I just wanted to throw that in for next time.

Good idea, but blow the air up through the plug drain hole on the right side of the head. This will cause the debris to fly up and out of the plug hole. Works like a champ!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.