Tank scratches

9 replies to this topic
  • Ogden

Posted April 27, 2006 - 12:03 PM

Anybody no of any good methods for removing scratches from plastic tanks.
Cheers Rich.

• byggd

Posted April 27, 2006 - 12:21 PM

They make a plastic renew product, the problem is is looks good at first but then starts to wear of in patches and looks like crap unless you take time to re-apply it! Plus if you get any gas on it at all it takes it right off :crazy:

• Koko Azuela

Posted April 27, 2006 - 03:03 PM

They make a plastic renew product, the problem is is looks good at first but then starts to wear of in patches and looks like crap unless you take time to re-apply it! Plus if you get any gas on it at all it takes it right off :ride:

I agree, plastic renew works good on fenders, shrouds and number plates, but not on gas tanks!! it's tough to get scratches out of tanks, if you find a way, let us know :crazy:

• bluebike1999

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:01 PM

i have been told recently that you can reduce the appearance (sounds like a skin care ad) of of light scratches using a heat gun. my suggestion would be to remove and empty your tank first. apparently the visible aspect of scratches is the (white) plastic that is gouged up when scratched. the heat gun melts the thin scratched bit and can bring back a gloss like original.
this technique can also be used to remove white 'stretch marks' from having bent your plastics.

along with this info, i was told that an outdoor furnture oil ( in australia it's called o cedar $5.99 in a trigger pack)) will bring up a very good finish.
hope it works or has been of help.
i ride my bike, and the scratches and white bent bits are what happen when you use it as it was intended. i will try these things when i go to sell it. until then it stays scratched but well ridden.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Scratches? It's a f :crazy: ing off road bike. Sorry but I would rather spend my time putting scratches on the bike than spending time trying to remove them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dez4ever

Posted April 28, 2006 - 12:06 PM

Scratches? It's a f :crazy: ing off road bike. Sorry but I would rather spend my time putting scratches on the bike than spending time trying to remove them.

Thanks for that response. You took the words right out of my mouth.

• bluebike1999

Posted April 28, 2006 - 03:06 PM

fair enough if you're selling the bike, but this graphics and coloured guards stuff is a bit gay.
ride em, dont sit in your shed rubbing yourselves looking at them.

• redrocket190

Posted April 29, 2006 - 12:17 PM

If the scratches are very deep you need scrape them out with a razor blade. Then rub down with wet and dry 'til you get to 1200 grade. The buff the thing with Gel Gloss from Pep Boys. This comes up regularly on historic motocross sites where guys are trying to get 20+ years of abuse off a plastic...

• RCannon

Posted April 29, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Mop and glow floor wax is identical to the plastic renew stuff. Identical except in price.

Many of the hardware stores sell plastic polish and cleaner. That stuff works very well on sunglasses and motorcycle parts.

• wedrivezs

Posted April 29, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Buff out with auto body Hi Grit buffing compound. 3M makes a nasty polish, I can buff 30 year old paint right into a shine, and rub it down to the primer if I want.....

of course you'll need to finsh up with lesser grit polish.

BTW, I have to agree with the other boys, it's an offroad bike :crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.