Whats the best way to clean and lube your chain between rides???

8 replies to this topic
  • SoCalWR400

Posted October 16, 2001 - 07:44 AM

Whats the best and easiest way to clean and lube your chain between rides. I normally just spray it down with wd-40 should I add some used motor oil to it?

• BULLDOG

Posted October 16, 2001 - 05:35 PM

WD40 and a rag. Give the chain a wipedown after you spray it. Keeps it clean during the ride. Spray your chain AFTER each ride instead of before. This will keep rust and gunk out of the chain.

later
Wayen

------------------
It's your world, I just play in it!

2000 WR400, WB E-Series w/7 discs, stock header, Thumper bar risers, GUTS Racing seat, Cut Grey Wire, WR timing, Standard mods.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted October 17, 2001 - 08:22 PM

I finally purchased one of those little chain scrubber boxes you clip over the chain in front of the chain guide, pour in a little grunge off and spin the rear wheel, it does a super job of cleaning the chain all over. Then just spray a little WD 40 after wards, does a great job in minutes, why bother with a rag, as its hard to get in clean on both sides and what not, well worth the $12 to make your chain last a year or more

• YAMAKAZE

Posted October 18, 2001 - 02:44 AM

TOP: Hope you got a better scrub box than I did. Mine tore up a good o-ring chain on my daughters 4 wheeler.

I clean my chain with a diluted mixture of simple green and a soft bristle brush, Then coat my chain with slick 50 spray lube. (although It's getting harder to find).

Bonzai Posted Image

------------------
1999 WR 400F:
Headlight Removed,Odo Removed,Gray Wire - Cut,Throttle Stop - Trimmed,YZ Timing,GYT-R Pro-Bend Hand Guards /Tripple Clamp Mounts,YZ Front/Rear Fender,YZ Number Plate,Race Tech Suspension(by MXTuner),Dunlop 756 Front and Rear,Renthal Fat Bars W/GYT-R Pad,Renthal 14/53 Gearing,DID Race Chain
Custom Grips,Graphics by CEET,White Brothers E-Series Exhaust,Modified Compression Release,Acerbis Frame Guards

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mook

Posted October 18, 2001 - 03:27 AM

I use a power washer and simple green to clean the whole bike including the chain. then I displace the water and lube at the same time with a large quantity of WD-40. (bike running and in gear- for wheel spin to shake off water)

works for me.

Mook

------------------

• mcarp

Posted October 18, 2001 - 03:30 AM

I'm getting real lazy when it comes to chains anymore.

I used to use the gringe brush, a 3 sided brush made for chains. Works fantastic!

Now I cheat in a big way...I have a motojackrack which suspends the wheels while "trailering". Now I just powerwash the bike with it on the rack, and hit the chain (and sprocket) as I rotate the rear tire. Comes out real clean. After washing, I revolve the rear wheel a few times to fling the water out, then use a little WD-40 on it to keep from rusting. My last 2 chains have been DID VMX rings and the DO hold up to this treatment pretty well. No kinking or sticky links noted, 1 chain per year of riding. The regina I had awhile back died/rusted very quickly!

If I know the ride is going to be real muddy, I'll spray PAM on the chain to keep the mud from accumulating as much. This buildup is what eats the chain/sprockets.

• tripm

Posted October 18, 2001 - 04:09 AM

Am I the only one who uses chain wax? I was under the impression that a thin oil such as wd40 would wash the grease out from the inside of the O rings inside the chain? I thought that was the point of O ring chains.

M

• boxsterboy

Posted October 18, 2001 - 04:44 AM

Even though I use a power washer also with my motojack, I seen several articals that state not to power wash o-ring chains. The reason why - the water is actually forced passed the o-ring and water gets trapped inside. The idea of the o-ring is to keep water and dirt out. By power washing your driving dirt and water in. It made sense to me.

I make sure I don't hit it full force. I hold it far away and hit the chain straight on. I then oil it with motor oil. if I'm in a real rush I ude wd40 to keep it from rusting.

The chain only has to last as long as the sprokets. So Its not super critical to make it last a long time. I just replace the chain when I replace the sprokets.

------------------
01 WR426 Uncorked, YZ throttle stop, Grey wire cut, BK mod. Do I dare change to YZ timing. (soon)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 18, 2001 - 05:02 AM

Simple green everywhere, then WD40 everywhere (except plastic and tires) then Chainwax before I ride. Yes, I do think it's best to do this after a ride cause the chain is all warm and fuzzy but when im done riding im usually feeling like a zombie and would rather visit the cooler. Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.