Front Sag....

1 reply to this topic
  • The_Missile

Posted October 16, 2001 - 06:44 AM

My dealer who was swiss MX champion says the front sag measurement is pretty much meaningless...

I asked him about front sag given that I only get about 2-3 cm when I sit on the bike and his response was....

"You should go by the amount of travel you are getting out of what you have when riding and work from there by adjusting clickers changing springs, oil level and ultimately valving ! He does NOT suggest fiddling with oil viscocity or oil brand. He says he sets all the racers forks this way and ONLY uses the stock fork oil."

Comments ??

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terry_in_Reno

Posted October 16, 2001 - 07:52 AM

Missle,

The art of suspension is truely an art. Each tuner will have their own method, although it may only be a small deviation from the next. Dealer is giving his approach which works for him. Getting the most travel from your suspension is the first goal and then getting the best handling for your riding style is the final step. All the variables of the suspension system are interactive and can be used to come up with the final result.

Springs, oil, and valving all interact to give the system its specific characteristic. If your dealer wants to hold one of those variables constant (oil), then he reduces his work by not having to keeping track of what happens if it were to change. He also limits his options by not being able to effect changes with the oil viscocity, brand etc.

There are developed methods for obtaining the results you want by adjusting the variables, but ultimately each tuner puts his own experience and know how into reaching the final result. Although some are more knowledgable in than others.

If your going to try on your own, it is best to be very methodical and only change one thing at a time. Starting with the clicker to see if you can get what you want out of the suspension. Then move on to the area which is troubling you. If you don't want to do it yourself, then tell the shop exactly what you wish the suspension to do for you.

Specifically to your sag question, IMO you want to have some sag in order to allow the wheel to drop into a hole without topping out. The damping should be able to kick in before the suspension tops. If the suspension sags too much then you have a condition where you are effecting the bikes geometry. If this is what you want, ok, but know this is what is happening.

Terry

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.