What is the best (for me) exhaust mod

27 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I have been reading about people removing one baffle and others putting on pro moto billet and stainless exhaust tips, will these tips give me any more power? make it louder? is it just a tip? and does it need or work with new or removed baffles? I could use all the extra HP i can get, and i don't mind it being a bit louder, but im planning to make it a DS i need to be fairly quiet.

• Matty05

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:53 PM

The tips will give you power, the stock system is so choked up. It would make it louder, the less restriction, the louder it will be unfortunately.

You might want to mod your muffler first (pull the baffles out), and use a pro moto tip if you want to save money. There was a thread here telling you how to do it.
http://www.thumperta...ight=stock pipe
Search for others.

I would buy a full mx system, yoshi's come with quiet tips, so do leo vince, akrapovic and many others.

There is a White bro's 98db "euro versoin" aluminium pro 2. I should have got this system, but I got a procircuit Ti GP system instead. I got a GYT-R 98db slip-on muffler on the WR250, the noise is very tolarable, sounds like any other bike.

It is a straight through designed fire breather. It is way quieter than my procircuit, and makes awesome power. I don't know if you guy's get this GYT-R pipe, but here it is anyway. http://www.yamaha-mo...ion&ProdID=3043

• Darth Wader

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:20 PM

MountainMax,
I put a full GYTR aluminum exhaust and SS header on my WR and it flat out screams. It is pretty reasonably priced (dealer gave me discounts since I bought it with the bike) and you can get the 98db tip too (which is not supposed to inhibit power). Couple the free flowing pipe with jets, throttle stop, opened airbox, and the gray wire mod and you'll be amazed at the power difference.

I haven't gotten to putting the quiet tip on yet...having too much fun with the loud set up for now! :crazy:

• tigerowner_ut

Posted April 26, 2006 - 07:22 PM

MountainMax,

The newer WRs have a good Aluminum stock exhaust just need to remove the over restrictive baffle that comes stock. After that it is still sub 96 db. My 03 has a pig of a stainless steel exhaust that you either need to replace or get a PMB insert.

Quet replacements are few and far between. The FMF Q is the most popular. A few Euro manufacturers have pipes that meet 94 DB.

Those who uncork their exhausts or buy closed course MX pipes are in part responsible for trail closures across the country. Noise is one of the biggest reason environmentalists get support for trail closures amoung ordinary citizens.

Please keep your bike quiet! For those that don't, stay away from our trails!

Cheers,

• Matty05

Posted April 26, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Those who uncork their exhausts or buy closed course MX pipes are in part responsible for trail closures across the country. Noise is one of the biggest reason environmentalists get support for trail closures amoung ordinary citizens.

Noise makes no difference to a hippy. You think if you have a "quiet" pipe on your bike they will smile and wave at you? :crazy:

If you ride ANY dirtbike, you are responsable for closures.

I suggest you get your bike plated and go motard around the 'burbs if you have an issue.

• dl19

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:55 PM

On my 05 I tried the stock baffle out and it was quiet enough. I went with the PMB insert and it would be the max I would go. As far as power output there was a little more from mid to the top only. Don't cut anything else out of the exhaust or it will be really loud. I personally think 96db should be the highest level allowed period unless you are on a indoor track. These ridiculously loud exhausts even on "closed course" race tracks are getting them shut down or restricted like crazy. We ride in a absolutely rural areas where there more land owners who own SECTIONS compared to acres. We have lost a couple areas to riding because the land owners just got tired of the neighbors complaining about the loud bikes. I know the bikes that caused it, and they all run wide open aftermarket and stock exhausts with the attitude they can do what they want. I ride with these guys at times, and all they do is bitch about the newbies. The actual reality is these newbies have been around when we were on two strokes with no complaints. These were not hippies but yuppies with a lot more cash, no job, and willing to spend all their spare time on a issue. These are the same type of people who support all the environmental groups. You seem to be aware of the problem loud exhausts are causing everyone who rides. Please keep a realistic approach and don't get swayed over into the loud crowd.

• Matty05

Posted April 26, 2006 - 09:16 PM

I would think if we all had electric bikes people would complain.
People complain about mountain bikers, I am sure they have had places shut down too. Where do you draw the line?

Can you tell the difference between a 96db pipe and a 98db pipe? I can't. The difference is tiny at best.

If you ride a bike with a full blown rice pipe in built up area's, then you are a problem.
If you have to be quiet, stick to the stocker. It is alot more quiet than everything else out there. Why would you change the stocker for a pipe that is supposed to be quiet, but in reality is nearly 3 times as loud? Not to mention the piss poor power gain, if any at all.

You guys wanted a quiet pipe, you got one and now you go and change it for something louder??? You then continue on to bag out on other people who have done the same, but not wasted their money, instead got a good power gain as this is why you change your pipe in the first place!

I don't understand you guys.

If you truly want to be quiet, use the stock pipe. Don't be hypocritical and change it for something louder.

• odonnks

Posted April 27, 2006 - 02:00 AM

Mountain Max.
Before shelling out the $$ for a replacement system try the mods to your stocker. Look at it this way, if youbuy a new system, the old isn't worth much so start there first.
I did the mods to my silencer a few night ago. Here is some observatiosn I made after the mods. It will require rejet.

Per the awsome thread by WR Dave and Dodjy @
http://www.thumperta...&highlight=pipe
I canceled my my plans to order a TI Powercore.
I saw the thread a few weeks back and thought it was a pretty cool idea. Today while ordering parts at a local shop I was a breath away from ordering the Ti then it dawned on me... What would I do with the stocker. Its not worht much on a resale. So I figured whatt the heck, give it a shot, worst case I'm back to ordering a replacement FMF.
Removal of the end plate that holds the arrestor was very easy IF I left the PMB insert in and tapped it up and down (gently) with a mallet while pulling back on it with my other hand.
removal of Baffel #2 per the thread was also pretty easy using a long (16-in ) straight blade screwdriver with a 3/8 wide blade. Just worked around the ring that was tack welded and cut threw like I was opening a can the old fashion way. Couldn't have taken a half hour. Reinserted the arrestor and took a ride.
Its way too wet to get a good 'seat of the pants' feel but I was deffinitely able to feel the difference on my 1/2 mile long gravel driveway. third and fourth gear wheel up. Not as loud as I expected.
What did surprise me was the amount of sound attenuation the spark arrestor provided, then even more with the PMB insert. It seems like it'll be pretty tunable as far as sound goes. Without the arrestor and just the endcap it was very loud, Had that real sharp bbrrrraaappppppp sound. Added the arestor only and the sharpness is gone. Pretty good way to go.
The off idle hesitation is back, need to richen it up again...
Thanks for all the great information guys. This place is awsome.

• Bamster

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:23 AM

the stock system is so choked up

It's too bad we get the same bike as the US now.

• Darth Wader

Posted April 27, 2006 - 02:18 PM

I have to agree with Matt - the issue about pipes isn't really about pipes, its about bikes. The problem isn't people riding with a 100db pipe (can you ~really~ distinguish 3-5 dba?) it is that people are so concerned with bitching about something they will look for a reason to villify anything. If this is such an issue for people then why have they not gone after street exhausts...many are well over 100dba AND they are in the most highly populated areas (car/truck exhausts - not bikes). Guess we need to close down a bunch of roads now. The general lack of intolerance in society today is the real problem...the "me" mentality. OMG, I hear a dirt bike in the distance - I need to call my State *insert political figure here* and complain because this offends me.

The reason political figures attack groups is more based on how much political pressure they recieve. This is their career - they CYA when they have to. You want to get areas opened up? Quit worrying about pipes and start, en masse, pestering your legislatures about providing riding areas. Be influential in the process, take some action in the political arena instead of assisting those who would further restrict our pasttime - the squeaky wheel gets oiled in politics. I have watched this process first hand and what you see on TV isn't what occurs behind closed doors - the vote is sealed loooooong before it ever reaches the floor. That is decided by how much 'noise' the legislature hears from their voting constituancy (and contributors - AHA!).

Noise is only a tool to attack dirt biking with...the crux of the issue is the mentality of people. They want everything on their terms...the world can't be THAT flexible, everyone has to give a little. Different strokes for folks, I like a loud pipe and I ride on private land. If you don't like a loud pipe that is your choice - it doesn't make it wrong, it is just different tastes. If I ride on state trails I quiet it down to the required 98 dba (why I bought the tip) because that is what is required at this time on state venues. To say that closed course ~racing~ venues should restrict sound is ludicrous. Again, it is a tool...what is the dba restriction for drag race or auto racing courses (NASCAR?)?

Don't paint people who appreciate the sound of a motor and the visceral experience of riding as irresponsible or immature (I'm 35 with 3 kids and quite solidly in the "mature" category - and I certainly don't have enough money!). What you get from riding is probably vastly different than what I get...your way isn't better, just different. If you want to villify someone, direct your energies to the people who would restrict our rights to ride and enjoy it simply because they don't understand (know), or have the tolerance for other people to enjoy the return involved. Again, different strokes...not wrong, just different. Imposing your values on what is 'proper' sound level is no more just than closing a riding area because someone doesnt' agree with your outlet for fun.

Sorry for the book, don't mean to hijack the thread - buy the pipe, or make the mods that suit your taste/needs. As long as you are within the required parameters in the required areas you are fine. If we continue to retreat on what WE will accept for our endeavor THEY will continue to see how far they can push.

Just my .02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted April 27, 2006 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I will try the last baffle removal and the promoto insert and go from there, I may even fab up a larger tailpipe.

• dl19

Posted April 27, 2006 - 07:51 PM

I don't disagree with somewhat holding ground, but I think we are more then pushing our intrusion into peoples space. There are probably way more who will still allow the dirt bikes back in some areas if they were quieter. I don't see it as a dirt bike issue as much as it is a issue about excessive intrusion into peoples lives with "noise". Yes there are those who don't like bikes period, but the groups and individuals now being upset would never have said anything if not for the new loud exhaust on four strokes. I will have to tell you that YES almost every person CAN tell the difference in a bike with a two decibel sound difference. Sound/Volume is compounding, so even though the meter only moves one the sound increase is substantial.

• OneToGo

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:28 PM

100db pipe (can you ~really~ distinguish 3-5 dba?) You want to get areas opened up? de on state trails I quiet it down to the required 98 dba (why I bought the tip) because that is what is required at this time on state venues.

For info a 3Db increase is double the noise intensity - TWO 98 Db exhausts side by side is close to ONE 101 Db pipe. Similarly the stock pipe is around 89 to 90 Db (TOO quiet IMO). The so called "quiet" options are in the range 93 to 96. Various Authorities mandate certain noise levels as legal Maximums.

I tend to agree...the actual PRESENCE of bikes (and people having fun - where nature should be left alone - for what?, you ask - damn good question - ah... the next generation!!) is what initially attacts attention - then the noise, some will disagree but we are talking chickens and eggs are we not?

So we live with the rules, choose to ignore :crazy: , or change them.
My least favourite (sp. favorite) topic is polotiks. :ride:

My .02 worth

• Darth Wader

Posted April 29, 2006 - 04:13 AM

For info a 3Db increase is double the noise intensity - TWO 98 Db exhausts side by side is close to ONE 101 Db pipe.

Interesting! I stand corrected and apologize for my error - thank you for the explanation. Maybe we can start a nationwide initiative to buy free earmuffs for anti-dirtbikers? :ride:

So we live with the rules, choose to ignore :crazy: , or change them. My least favourite (sp. favorite) topic is polotiks. :ride:

I agree completely!! I used to work for the Senate and was privy to most meetings (closed door and public). It was not for me...I'm far too tolerant of differences in people and less self serving than the many I guess.

Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy your riding!!

• markvfr

Posted April 29, 2006 - 09:12 AM

I don't disagree with somewhat holding ground, but I think we are more then pushing our intrusion into peoples space. There are probably way more who will still allow the dirt bikes back in some areas if they were quieter. I don't see it as a dirt bike issue as much as it is a issue about excessive intrusion into peoples lives with "noise". Yes there are those who don't like bikes period, but the groups and individuals now being upset would never have said anything if not for the new loud exhaust on four strokes. I will have to tell you that YES almost every person CAN tell the difference in a bike with a two decibel sound difference. Sound/Volume is compounding, so even though the meter only moves one the sound increase is substantial.

I agree. For example if I bought a piece of land surrounded by crown/public land, and the reason I bought it is to get away from the urban life, I would really be pissed if all of the sudden I had dirtbikes and quads with 100db pipes screaming all day long. I know that it would bother me because I've been to my friends cabin and I was enjoying the quiet when four CRF450s with wide open race pipes screamed past us. I could hear them from 5km away (I know where the main riding area was).
I ride both street and dirt, and it pissed me off! I know what some will say "don't buy any property near riding areas". Well, any crown/public area can be a riding area, so thats kind of unfair. And the government wants to make money selling the land too so they will prefer to have quiet legislature anyway.

So, "noise intrusion" is a very good description. If the bikes were a little quiter, I probably wouldn't even hear them if they were 2km away.

That is mostly where the complaints are coming from around here. But I also agree that there are a lot of yuppies with a lot of money and not enough stuff to do and they start bitching a complaining for absolutely no reason (against bikes and quads with legal exhausts). We had mountain biking trails closed around Calgary because they "damaged the fragile forrest floor", yet the horse trails which are 10 times wider and just a filthy disgusting mess are left open. But because most of the yuppies own horses, they lobbied for them to remain open. The mountain bike community didn't have enough support and lost.

Just my .02.

• matthewdcross

Posted April 29, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I will try the last baffle removal and the promoto insert and go from there, I may even fab up a larger tailpipe.

Thats what I would do. I am extremely happy with the pro moto tip and it really isnt much louder but I didn't remove any baffels. My bike rips with the free mods and the pro moto tip!! :crazy:

• MountainMax

Posted April 29, 2006 - 01:51 PM

Good info guys, I ordered the promoto tip and I will probabaly remove the one baffle and hopefully it wont' be too loud, I love the loud noise but I know how it bothers others, and myself at times, when im in bed an the idiot with his muffler gutted out drives by at 1:am and wakes me up, I know how some people can ruin it for others who whold n0t drive like that at night in a res area.

• odonnks

Posted April 29, 2006 - 06:39 PM

PMB inset w/one internal baffel removes is very 'livable'

• MountainMax

Posted May 06, 2006 - 04:10 AM

which internal baffle is this, is it the one that you see when you remove the tailpipe/arrestor and look in the back of the muffler about 4 inches? the whole plate with Two pipes in it?

• odonnks

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:31 AM

Yes, that the one.
Some folks grind the spot welds off to get it out.
Others use a ling chisel or screwdriver (about 3/8" wide blade) Put a edge on it and go around the inside of the spotwelded ring and cut it like a old fashion can opener. Its pretty thin. This will leave the spot welded ring in place. If you want to grind it out it'll be eaiser to do it after the plate and baffels are removed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.