Output shaft still turns when bike is in neutral

4 replies to this topic
  • theclone

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Is this just normal? Can somebody explain why it does this? Bike is a 99 YZ400.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Friction is a drag, ain't it? :crazy:

That's all it is; just the drag of the oil under the disengaged gears in the trans turning the shaft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • theclone

Posted April 26, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Is there anything you don't know? I figured it was probably normal, but I never would have guessed it was because of oil! :crazy:

• NYMXer

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:03 PM

Yeah it will turn if you have the bike running and up on a stand w/ the rear tire off the ground. You can stop it from turning with your bare hand.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 26, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Friction is a drag, ain't it?

That's all it is; just the drag of the oil under the disengaged gears in the trans turning the shaft.

I knew before I saw your post you were gonna have the answer to that. :ride: I just didnt know what it was. I always wondered why that happened too. :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.