Buying a Four Stroke...HELP!

4 replies to this topic
  • motoXer

Posted April 26, 2006 - 02:40 PM

I am going to test ride a 2001 YZ426F this weekend. I have never bought a four stroke before and I need some help.

what questions do I need to ask the seller?
What questions do I need to ask the seller about his maintence? mostly
maintence questions differing from the one's i'd ask when buying a
two stroke.
What things do I need to look at?
What things do I need to listen for?

are there any problems that the 01 426s had? I know that the 2000 426s had carb issues, was that fixed for the 01 model?

any and all help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance :crazy:

• xnofriendsx

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:00 PM

I bought a used 2002 YZ426 so hopefully this can help you out a bit.
The first thing i looked at was the wear on the frame and the engine from your boots rubbing on it. This can sort of tell the hours spent on the bike. Sort of a good indicator i guess. Ask them about their total hours on the bike and their maintenance with oil changes, and how often they did oil changes. All of that stuff is really important. I do mine every 3-4 rides (30- 40 miles each ride, so 90-160 miles or so). If i ride in sand, every 2 rides.
Just make sure that thing can start in like no more than 2-3 kicks. These bikes run great when properly maintained and you should have no problem getting it started.
Not exactly sure about the 2001, but my 2002 is pretty dialed and just works, plain and simple.
When you first pull up to check on a bike, you will know right away if you are getting a good deal. By it from some older guy who barely rode it.
That is what i did. 45 year old guy who only rode it like 15 times. Still had stock tires/chain/sprockets.
If you get a person who has tons of stuff on it, then that can be not too good sometimes. That means they rode the crap out of it possibly. Mine was all stock except for the Hot Cam cause he hated doing the decompression stuff.
Anwyays..
Hope this info can help out a bit.

two stroke.
What things do I need to look at?
What things do I need to listen for?

are there any problems that the 01 426s had? I know that the 2000 426s had carb issues, was that fixed for the 01 model?

any and all help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:52 PM

two stroke.

You want to know how often he changes his oil and if he changes his filter each time. You also want to know how frequently he services the air filter and the usual stuff. But you don't want to hear him lie about it, so a trick is to ask him to explain what you need to do to provide proper maintenance after you buy it, how often you should change oil, etc. He'll be torn between telling you something that makes it sound like a maintenance nightmare and something that makes him seem lax. Usually this will befuddle the seller badly enough that he will tell you what he actually does with it.

Also ask if the valves have ever needed to be adjusted and if so, how much. More than .20mm smaller than original, and/or adjustments needed less than 20-30 hours apart, and/or more than two adjustments to the same valve, is a sign the valves are gone or nearly so.

426's had trouble with the trans wearing the dogs over time and then not staying in gear. If you can ride the bike, try accelerating fairly hard in each of the upper 3 gears while putting a small amount of pressure of the shift lever. If it jumps out or shifts out easily while under a load, avoid it. Be careful with this trick, BTW, for obvious reasons.

• motoXer

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:39 PM

thank you for your help. I'm pretty much a 4 stroke newbie. I'll let you guys know how it when when I get back. I'll just put it in a new thread. thanks again for your help :crazy:

• Lemay427

Posted April 27, 2006 - 05:05 PM

honestly...good luck...people always say they change the oil regularly when most of the people dont. your best bet is to make an observation on the type of person you are buying the bike from. look at their garage, car. normally if they are neat and seem to take care of stuff, they will MOST likely take care of their bike. buying a four stroke is always risky. when something goes wrong, it really goes wrong!!! but find out if he ever check the valve clearance, top end, etc. good luck

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.