Need advice on xr650r thermostat?

14 replies to this topic
  • northstar

Posted April 26, 2006 - 10:05 AM

My thermostat went bad on my 02 650r-I was told you can run without it at all or you could replace with a Subaru thermostat instead buying the Honda part-If anybody who has any input on this please let me know.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 26, 2006 - 10:13 AM

If you ride where it's cold fix it, if not pull it out.

• TimBrp

Posted April 26, 2006 - 10:20 AM

Call up Summers Racing Components and grab one of theirs. 3 years on one and it has yet to fail.

• Agent2

Posted April 26, 2006 - 10:46 AM

If you have Auto Zone stores in your area get a thermostat for a Suzuki Swift. I think it's part # 7203-180 - called a failsafe, made by Motorad. Cost about $12 and will fit perfectly, all you have to do is drill a weep hole in the same place as your stock t-stat.

• calxi

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:11 PM

or NAPA #115 for around $8. Be sure to drill a little hole in the flange. Temp range at 180 degrees F.

• Naru

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Just a word of caution on the Napa part. I installed a #115 'stat from them (and drilled the bypass hole), and almost cooked my engine. Lukily I got back to camp before I was totally out of fluid, but I'd boiled out 3/4ths of the fluid. Turned out that that thermostat, as well as a second one I picked up for a friend, both didn't open anywhere near 180 degrees.

Since then I've ran a SRC 'stat with good results, but I've heard that it might be the Napa unit with hole pre-drilled. In the end, I probably just recieved a few bad units. However, I would HIGHLY recommend testing the thermostat BEFORE install.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 26, 2006 - 01:21 PM

I used the NAPA with no problems what so ever but it is always good to test anything you use first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted April 26, 2006 - 10:51 PM

The SRC unit works great, and isn't THAT expensive. Its a lot better and a lot less then the stock unit Honda sells. Made that expensive mistake before...

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 27, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Unless you plan on doing a lot of cow trailing, I'd take it out and run without. Makes for one less part to break and you dont really need it if doing rides on long roads and trails. Down here in Baja and the desert, most guys take them out to prevent failure in the back country. :crazy:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 27, 2006 - 10:52 AM

Unless you plan on doing a lot of cow trailing, I'd take it out and run without. Makes for one less part to break and you dont really need it if doing rides on long roads and trails. Down here in Baja and the desert, most guys take them out to prevent failure in the back country. :crazy:

If you ride in cold weather you need them so the bike will heat up to operating temperature. It is not good for a motor to run it cold. I used to run without one all year long but could tell things were not right when it started getting colder. If you live closer to the equator then you can get away without one all year long.

• redmanrandyed

Posted May 02, 2006 - 05:54 PM

My thermostat went bad as well. I went through the same ordeal trying to decide to pull the thermostat or mess around with a modified one.
I decided to just pull the thing. There are bikes like the WR400 that do not have a thermostat.
I have been riding with it like that for a couple of years with no problems, the bike seems to run cooler too. I just make it a point to let the engine warm up first before a ride. For me, I would much rather not worry about the thermostat failing miles from nowhere on the trail.

• weskc35k

Posted May 02, 2006 - 06:24 PM

I'm going to take mine out and put a washer with a 3/8th's hole in the centre back in and if it runs too hot or too cool i'll mess with the hole size.

• Max Power

Posted May 02, 2006 - 07:24 PM

I'm going to take mine out and put a washer with a 3/8th's hole in the centre back in and if it runs too hot or too cool i'll mess with the hole size.

Sounds kinda scientific. :crazy:

I miss WR450.....

• weskc35k

Posted May 02, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Just call me Homer,ok Max.

• XR_mad

Posted May 02, 2006 - 11:29 PM

i just bought the src unit, yet to install it though

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.