Changing timing chain

5 replies to this topic
  • xr500_89

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:39 AM

i believe my timing chain is out of tolerance, anyway to check this and if it is anyway to change it without cracking the crankcase open

• Motosprtman

Posted April 26, 2006 - 11:29 AM

Much like the old XL's in design, the easiest and most beneficial way of doing this is to complete a top end job and while your there replacethe cam chain. The flwheel has to be removed either way. I guess you could pull the cam cover off and the left side cover and remove the flywheel and fish it off (fighting cam chain tension). But I highly recommend that you pull the top end down - do the valves and seals piston and rings and while you have it apart - replace the camchain. If the engine has enough mileage / use on it to dictate a camchain removal replacement - then it is likely that all other parts (valves and rings) are close to tolerance end too. End result a fresh engine with lotsa miles to go!

• cleonard

Posted April 26, 2006 - 01:50 PM

i believe my timing chain is out of tolerance, anyway to check this and if it is anyway to change it without cracking the crankcase open

You only have to take the cam cover off to check it. To replace you need to take off the right side cover and pull the clutch. I think you have to pull the primary drive gear, but I'm not sure. No splitting the cases needed.

The tensioner is the first thing to go. I replaced my cam chain when I did my tensioner. My tensioner seemed good while the bike was sitting there, but the cam chain made all sorts of noise while the engine was hot and running. It can get so loose that the chain can jump a tooth.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fred Bednar

Posted April 26, 2006 - 04:26 PM

Where did you order your hot cam and piston? I have to replace mine because I wiped out an exhaust lobe. My chain jumped time also because it was loose. I was very lucky it did not damage anything. The engine is easy to work on once it is out of the bike.

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 26, 2006 - 11:07 PM

If your cam chain is loose, it tends to make a ticking sound similar to valves that aren't adjusted properly.

To check if its worn or not, take your valve cover off, and attempt to pull the chain off the top sprocket at all with the tension still on. If your able to pull the chain AT ALL off the top sprocket, then you'll need a chain, and probably a tensioner.

• xr500_89

Posted April 27, 2006 - 07:06 AM

well i decided to change the timing chain because the engine is already ripped apart and on my bench in pieces only thing i havent ripped apart is the botom end top end is completly in pieces and im just awaiting those parts in my sig and new valves and valve srpings etc etc

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.