650R Broken case chain guard Front gear

10 replies to this topic
  • hogair

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:25 AM

I am looking to buy a R. Two I have seen had broken cases where the front chain/gear guard bolts on. There is only 2 bolts holding it on? One was the upper,one was the bottom bolt hole broken out. Is this common? Can you weld it without taking engine apart? How much did it cost to repair? :crazy:

• snaggleXR650

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:41 AM

Hey,
I wouldn't say it's common, but it defintely can happen if the chain breaks and wads up inside the stock case saver. Xr's Only makes a case saver that reaches way up to the rear frame/motor mount for a third, heavy duty, mount. The 2 small stock mounts are still used, but that 3rd mount will take ALOT more force.

The 650R is known as a chain breaker. I think the 520 size chain has it's hands full with the torque, maybe Honda should have used a 525 or 530. Anyway, it's best to keep a newer chain installed as well as the rivet link as compared to a clip master link.

• TimBrp

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:07 AM

Kiwi also makes a great case saver. To what snaggle said about clips vs. rivets. The rivets are best but I use a clip for ease. IF the clip goes I carry about 3 on hand during any ride. I'm the "just in case" type rider. Most of the time I'm fixin' other guys bikes.

• iestrada

Posted April 26, 2006 - 09:33 AM

Last year, due rear sprocket wear, the chain slip to the hub and broke the stoke case saver (engine case), then I got the kiwi which attaches on the stock bolts and somehow in a rear "crossmember" a couple of months ago i crashed and the kiwi broke in 2, now i have the xr's only. I seems way better than the kiwi, more sturdy attachment to take the first blow.

• TimBrp

Posted April 26, 2006 - 10:17 AM

I too have the XR's only one. I liked the look of the KIWI better....God help me...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hogair

Posted April 26, 2006 - 01:55 PM

OK LET me clarify the problem-- the engine case is "NOW" broken. Where the chain guard covers the front sprocket. The bolts go into the case. On the R model the bolt treads are :crazy: cast into the case, it sticks out about 3/4" and is threaded. Has anyone welded it up and re-tapped it? 2 out of 5 "R"s where broken that I looked at. Did anyone else have this problem?

• fish525

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:49 PM

OK LET me clarify the problem-- the engine case is "NOW" broken. Where the chain guard covers the front sprocket. The bolts go into the case. On the R model the bolt treads are :crazy: cast into the case, it sticks out about 3/4" and is threaded. Has anyone welded it up and re-tapped it? 2 out of 5 "R"s where broken that I looked at. Did anyone else have this problem?

YES same hear the one I got was broken I JB welded it and taped it back out seams to be fine now

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 26, 2006 - 11:01 PM

When my case busted, it took almost the entire thread out with it. All that was left was the bottom half of the thread, and about a 1/8" left on the top half of the thread.

I ended up taking a matchstick, and wrapping it tightly with paper, and cramming it what was left of the hole. I then covered the entire busted area w/ JB weld. After it cured, I pulled the matchstick out, and re-tapped the new hole. Granted, its not nearly as strong as the stock on is, it still works. Plus, I got the kiwi case saver too, so it seems to be a lot stonger.

• TimBrp

Posted April 27, 2006 - 02:41 AM

Never had this problem. Sounds like alot of people have poorly adjusted chains...

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted April 27, 2006 - 08:25 PM

My 02 had the case saver riped off, the bolts ripped right out of the case. Not due to the chain though.

When I was in San Felipe, I ran through a hidden fishing net, I didn't see it, it got tangled up in my rear sprocket and the counter sprocket. It felt like I was in some soft sand, bogging the bike down, so, I wacked the throttle, wound up more fishing net, busted off the case saver.

Was an ugly mess. Took over an hour to get all that crap out of my bike.

Chris

• hogair

Posted April 27, 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hi Pig,
How did you fix it? Did you replace the case? :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.