Hot Start Plunger

8 replies to this topic
  • chrisn6104

Posted April 25, 2006 - 06:35 PM

03YZ450F
My hot start plunger seems to be stuck. How do you get it out? Is it supposed to come out with the cable? I've put the cable in and tried to pull the plunger up with no luck. Is there a way to free it up without destroying it?

• kawirider

Posted April 25, 2006 - 07:47 PM

If it doesnt come out with the cable I would just disassemble the carb and try to free it up from the inside. While your at it you could get a Jet kit and a boyseen AP cover so that you dont have to go back and do it later

• Raven1911

Posted April 25, 2006 - 08:13 PM

You gotta keep those thing lubed or else they can freeze inside the carb. :crazy:

• chrisn6104

Posted April 25, 2006 - 10:07 PM

It's a new to me bike thats why it's stuck in there. The guy before me didn't keep it lubed.
I still don't see how to get it out though. The only thing I see is that brass plug on the side but I don't see a part number for that on the OEM pages. Any trick to getting it out?
It's soaking in WD-40 right now ... maybe that will free it up :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXKyle

Posted April 26, 2006 - 04:07 AM

Mine got stuck two different times. The first time I was able to just pull it out but I destroyed it the second time and had to buy a new plunger. They don't cost much but it still pissed me off. And I did lube it after the first time.

The cable end at the plunger is held in by the spring. If you release the end at the handlebars and adjust the adjuster on the cable to give the maximum length you might be able to get the carb end unscrewed and out far enough to lift up on the spring and work the cable loose. After that use WD40 or some penetrating oil on the plunger before pulling it out. The problem is that the plunger doesn't move very far so there isn't a lot of extra cable to work with.

I just pulled on mine hard enough to bend the plunger and pop the cable off of it. That would have been ok but I broke the plunger trying to bend it back into shape.

Try to do as I say and not as I do. :crazy:

'03 YZ45F for sale

Good luck,
--KT--

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:40 AM

Is it me or is the hot start plunger and that stupid assed plastic nut the worst designed thing in the universe? More like who hasn't had a problem with the damned thing.

• chrisn6104

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:40 PM

I guess I'll just order a new plunger that way if I destroy it trying to get it out I'll have a new one on hand. I tried pulling on it with the cable but the two pieces sticking up just start to split from me pulling on it so hard. I can get pliers on it but that will probably destroy it.

• barch88

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:43 PM

What exactly are we talking about here? Where and what do I lube it with? I know the hotstart...but what Plunger?

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:56 PM

To free it, use a real penetrating oil, and if necessary remove and disassemble the carb and heat it in boiling water or an oven at no more than 200 degrees to help loosen it.

Once the corrosion forms, you have to get it ALL out of the hot start bore, or it will grow back, no matter what. I recommend a brass or stiff nylon rifle or pistol brush (30-40 cal) and some aluminum corrosion jelly.

But you don't have to lube it beyond the first reassembly; I don't. But I do do something about it. Neither the Dr.D on the 250 or my OEM plunger has stuck since I started this:

http://www.thumperta...355#post3299355

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.