Your Guys Coolant Recipes

22 replies to this topic
  • mx369

Posted May 04, 2006 - 06:58 AM

DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE ANTIFREEZE!!! It contains silica( sand) for a cleaning agent. It will wear your impeller shaft and seal quicker than motorcycle AF. There is a difference. We use Engine Ice with absolutly no problems. Woods riding, MX, and SX. It wont freeze either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rooster wrooster

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:31 PM

I was having over heating problems w/ my '06. Pretty much after every ride I was losing about 1/4 of the coolant. I was using 50/50 premixed water and ethylene glycol by Prestone. I do have unabiker radiator guards which don't help with airflow either. I was going to make a coolant reservoir bottle like others have done until I read this thread.

So with two 90+ degree days with lots of 1st gear slow and sandy crawling around I didn't hear any boiling from the radiators. When I got home I checked the level and didn't lose any. I also bought a higher pressure radiator cap (1.6 bar) but haven't but it on yet. So here is what I used and the prices.

1 gallon Distilled water from Walmart- 79 cents

1 gallon of propylene glycol based coolant (basically same ingredients as engine ice) called LowTox by Prestone- $11

1 small bottle of Redzone's water wetter (I think it is 1 pint) $10 from auto parts store.

Mix into a gallon jug 80% water 20% PG and 4 capfulls of water wetter.

There is enough in the gallon jug to do 3 3/4 radiators. (given that the radiators hold 1 liter which mine does)

You should have enough coolant and water wetter to mix 4 more gallons full. You would just have to buy a few more gallons of water. This would give you a total of almost 19 radiators full for about $26. Or, to look at it another way, it comes out to be about $1.37 to fill your radiator once and you get 18 more refills for that price. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

• mr426

Posted August 19, 2007 - 08:36 PM

this might help... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=536144

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.