Black Front Fender

13 replies to this topic
  • Tugsy

Posted April 25, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Okay this may be a stupid question but where does one get the Honda Baja Team black front fender or is it a homemade item?

• Lofty

Posted April 25, 2006 - 11:10 AM

homemade local paint guy did mine for $25 it has lasted well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Koko Azuela

Posted April 25, 2006 - 12:06 PM

Okay this may be a stupid question but where does one get the Honda Baja Team black front fender or is it a homemade item?

It's homemade!! if you see closely, only the front part is black, the part closest to the frame is still red!

• Tugsy

Posted April 25, 2006 - 01:46 PM

What did he do Lofty? Just sand it and paint with what type of paint. Does the paint really stick to the plastic?

• qadsan

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:41 PM

Go to Autozone or Walmart and get a spray can of Krylon Fusion paint for $5. Wipe off and thorougly clean your front fender with Acetone. Mask it with tape and shoot it with a couple coats of the Krylon Fusion. Pull off the tape a few minutes after the last coat and let it dry for at least 24 hours. It holds up well and looks great. I've done a number of bikes for people this way and they've all been happy with the results.

Some paints require a flexible primier / surfacer / adhesion promoter when used on plastics, but it's not necessary with Krylon Fusion and it doesn't crack or peel like regular paints do when used on plastics. It's good for fenders, shrouds and panels, but it's not something you'd want to use on a plastic fuel tank.

• Tugsy

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for help.

• Jayzonk

Posted April 25, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Why bother? Purely style? Attract more heat??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted April 25, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Why bother?

It reduces glare when riding at night.

• xr500_89

Posted April 25, 2006 - 06:21 PM

yeah i bought some of that plastic paint today and painted my plastics desert camo

• dan3084

Posted April 25, 2006 - 07:34 PM

or you can just get a black front fender from a later year bike and put it on there like i am doing to my bike

• Supplicate

Posted July 21, 2006 - 08:49 PM

It reduces glare when riding at night.

It doesn't reduce it enough though, it seems :thumbsup:

Just got back from a several hour night ride and my HID was glaring off of that black (Krylon Fusion Satin finish) just as bad as it used to off the red. Its time to find a better solution. Thinking non-reflective tape, kinda like grip tape for skate boards or something.

• rockn6gs

Posted July 21, 2006 - 10:04 PM

XR'S only has ufo black stock replacement's.

• Supplicate

Posted July 21, 2006 - 10:39 PM

^ too shiny.

edit: new plastics, even if they are black, are far too reflective. Even the paint I did wound up way too reflective.

• veetwo tls

Posted July 22, 2006 - 06:23 AM

flat black :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.