Oil Pressure after Overhaul

6 replies to this topic
  • bigtooth

Posted April 25, 2006 - 09:23 AM

Is there a trick to building up oil pressure after an engine rebuild? I have tried kicking the thing over and even dared run it (only for a few seconds) but no oil will come into the filter resevoir. Its almost like the oil isnt flowing from the frame to the crankcase. Any suggestions would be great.
TIA
Bigtooth

• creeky

Posted April 25, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Is there a trick to building up oil pressure after an engine rebuild?
TIA
Bigtooth

What kind of bike?

• bigtooth

Posted April 25, 2006 - 10:28 AM

right of course...

91 xr600r

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:09 AM

The XRs have to have the oil pump primed after a rebuild.
before you put the cover over the oil pump, you fill it with oil.

Someone had the suggestion that you could *probably* use some air from a compressor to force oil in from the resevoir. This would probably work best of you

1) disconnected the return line from the head to the resevoir
2) disconnect the other return line (there is another, right? Virgin territory for me)
3) connect some compressed air (5psi? 10 max?) to the nipple on the resevoir.

Dave

• creeky

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:45 PM

This has worked well for me: Remove the oil inlet line fitting on the front of right side case cover. Use a squirt oil can to pump oil into the inlet for the oil pump, this will force oil into the pump and prime it up, then replace the fitting. When you start the engine, immediately crack the oil line fitting on top of the case cover that carries oil through the piping to the top end to make sure the pump is working.

• cleonard

Posted April 26, 2006 - 01:54 PM

I did what I could to prime the pump as I assembled it. I put 1 1/2 quarts of oil in the engine thru one of the valve adjustment holes, and the other 1/2 quart in the frame. I loosened the oil tube where it comes out of the engine above the filter. It took at least 30 (maybe 45?) seconds before the oil came out there. I was getting really concerned. Just tighten that bolt and let it run for a minute or two afterwards.

• darren12264

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:58 PM

you can pack the pump gears with grease. works great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.