exhaust modification 06 yz450

11 replies to this topic
  • BerkshireBullet

Posted April 25, 2006 - 07:38 AM

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about cutting the stock pipe and making it a few inches shorter to obtain more low end power. Is this true? Does it work? Thanks, Cobber.

• KTMKarl

Posted April 25, 2006 - 08:14 AM

Seen it, heard it, rode it, 3"inches off of stock on an 06, difference is negligible at best, it does get substantially louder. Only good excuse I can see is looks and/or just to shorten the exhaust up to get more room in the timber. I have had tree bark on mine more than once and hanging so far out back makes them pretty easy to bend up in a crash.

• Hockey66

Posted April 25, 2006 - 12:50 PM

Seems like it would be convenient. I flipped my bike catwalking in 4th yesterday and my exhaust got pretty beat up. I would love to make it shorter, but don't want my bike to be too loud. A bit more low end grunt would always be nice too, but I don't want to lose top.

• Hockey66

Posted April 25, 2006 - 11:35 PM

Seems like it would be convenient. I flipped my bike catwalking in 4th yesterday and my exhaust got pretty beat up. I would love to make it shorter, but don't want my bike to be too loud. A bit more low end grunt would always be nice too, but I don't want to lose top.

Any other thoughts on this, has anyone else tried it?

• yz_anders

Posted April 26, 2006 - 07:07 AM

I'm thinking about shortening the stock pipe on my bike when I have it.. On the EU models its so VERY VERY long..

Is it good, bad?..

:crazy:

• xtreme165

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:27 AM

Come on guys these bikes are loud enough! Do us all a favor and don't cut your exhaust down and geez no one and I mean no one needs more low end power. :ride: :crazy: the bikes are loud enough and if anything they need to mack less noise. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jtrone

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Is there any way to take of the end cap of the YZ's exhaust. Have a spark arrestor screen that would fit but can't figure out how to take the end cap off on the new '06. :crazy:

• barch88

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:20 PM

I'm thinking about shortening the stock pipe on my bike when I have it.. On the EU models its so VERY VERY long..

Is it good, bad?..

:crazy:

Lol, like the 05 US model? Those things were beasts.

Shorting won't affect nothing, but you pry won't gain anything really. I would save the hassel and say don't do it, but I just don't like cutting and welding, sanding, etc...I stick with changing oil, jetting, cleaning my bike, you know...the basic. :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:46 PM

a waste of time period...keep it or sell on ebay/TT

I held my breath long enough :crazy:

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:55 PM

Dude, dont be so cheap. It will take more time than it's worth.

If you want more bottom-end, go buy a Pro Circuit T-4 SL.

• gdbarr1976

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:49 PM

Come on guys these bikes are loud enough! Do us all a favor and don't cut your exhaust down and geez no one and I mean no one needs more low end power. :ride: :crazy: the bikes are loud enough and if anything they need to mack less noise. :ride:

You said it. Anything that makes this bike louder will only hurt our sport. I put a quiet insert in mine and I think it helped the low end! It sure made it easier to ride and for me that makes it faster. A 06 yz450f is all the bike anyone needs, except maybe Chad Reed. Join a gym, ride with people faster, whatever. But please DON'T do anything to make it louder... please.

• DPW

Posted April 26, 2006 - 07:27 PM

We recently lost a track in the area because of noise...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.