Installing flag for dunes

4 replies to this topic
  • ben

Posted January 08, 2001 - 05:57 AM

I'm taking my WR to the Dunes for the first time and need to mount a safety flag. Does anyone have any suggestions on hooking this up. E.g where to get/make a clamp and where to put it... without any welding if possible.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 08, 2001 - 09:08 AM

hose clamps? Duct tape? Zip ties?
Maby you can get one to suction cup to your helmet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 08, 2001 - 10:10 PM

We've run cable clamps on the fork pinch bolts & duct tape around the upper fork leg to hold/guide the flag. This is on my '90 KX500 with USD forks. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.

The only problem with this set-up is that sometimes you get smacked on the helmet.

• Jeff_in_AZ

Posted January 08, 2001 - 06:22 PM

I made a flag mount from some 90 degree angle aluminum stock I found at Home Depot. I had our machinist drill out a hole in it for the rear axle shaft after I took some dimensions. Unfortunately, I've thrown away the dimensions, but you just need to drill a hole big enough for the axle shaft to fit through that won't interfere with the swingarm. The mount fits on the left side of the bike between the head of the axle shaft and the chain adjuster block. Then just drill a hole for the flag and your set.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 09, 2001 - 09:10 AM

Here are a couple of pics of my KX500:

The duct tape holds the flag in place & the cable clamp just acts like a guide to keep the flag 'upright'. I've seen lots of flags snapped in half because the rider forgot the flag was mounted behind him/her.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.