Clutch Replacement Tips

9 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Anything tricky I should be aware of when changing the steel/ friction plates? The only thing I'm really worried about is the clutch cable. Do I have to loosen it before I change the plates, or leave it as is and then adjust it after I put the new plates in? :thumbsup:

• WGP

Posted April 25, 2006 - 08:54 AM

I'm ready to do mine also, is it as simple as it seems.....
I bought a clutch holding tool, is that all I'll need....
Never been in there :thumbsup:

• specialk6r

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:31 PM

On sportbikes you have to soak the plates in oil first or they wear quickly. Sorry, that's all I got.

• Matty05

Posted April 25, 2006 - 03:02 PM

Anything tricky I should be aware of when changing the steel/ friction plates? The only thing I'm really worried about is the clutch cable. Do I have to loosen it before I change the plates, or leave it as is and then adjust it after I put the new plates in? :crazy:

Just loosen it off if you are just going to change the plates.
Put them back in the same order they came out!

• BIGMatt

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:25 AM

On sportbikes you have to soak the plates in oil first or they wear quickly. Sorry, that's all I got.

Yes, soak the new friction plates in oil, overnight. Or they have a very hard time disengaging when you pull the clutch lever in.

Make sure to loosen and re-tighten the pressure plate bolts in the cross star pattern. And dont forget to re adjust the cable tension after you're done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:42 AM

I have a tip!!!

Use a torque wrench on the bolts/springs for the pressure plate. :crazy: I broke a bolt off and am waiting on a new inner hub $60 :ride:

• flyinguitars

Posted April 26, 2006 - 10:20 AM

While your in there measure your springs and see if they are near the limit.....or just order new yamaha springs to be safe....I think they are only a couple bucks each. Don't put in aftermarket springs.

• WGP

Posted April 26, 2006 - 11:43 AM

I ordered the friction plates and there are 2 different part numbers for the stock clutch? Does this sound right...?

• Fryboy

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:03 PM

I ordered the friction plates and there are 2 different part numbers for the stock clutch? Does this sound right...?

Yes there are 2 different friction plates. One type you need 6 of them and the other only 1.

Look up your model here: http://216.37.204.20...&ModelYear=2002

• WGP

Posted April 26, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Oh Good! Its actually the clutch plates, 3 one type, 4 another. 2005 Wr450

The manual states moving the thin friction plates to the outside, does this buy you some more time on a worn clutch?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.