Front end too stiff..........

3 replies to this topic
  • Longtimeyamahaguy

Posted April 24, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Bought my bike last yr used (03 WR450). The suspension was redone by MX-TECH, the rear seems to be perfect for me but the front end is just too stiff. When I get on the bike the rear sags about 3 inches or so but the front end doesn`t even sag at all. Should softening up the front be done with oil level, oil weight and/or springs? Thanks for any input.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Bought my bike last yr used (03 WR450). The suspension was redone by MX-TECH, the rear seems to be perfect for me but the front end is just too stiff. When I get on the bike the rear sags about 3 inches or so but the front end doesn`t even sag at all. Should softening up the front be done with oil level, oil weight and/or springs? Thanks for any input.

Well, if you know what spring rate is actually in there that would help.

The front really shouldn't sag when you sit on the bike. Start by backing off on your compression, (little screw "clickers" on the bottom of the fork tubes) you might have to remove the little rubber plugs to get at them. Just make sure you keep an equal amount of "clicks out" on each fork.

You can go with lighter oil at the minimum amount but if your gonna go that far you might as well make sure that it's sprung for your weight and riding style. You can use Race Tech's on line calculator. My guess would be that if the rear spring rate suits you than the front spring should as well as long as the prior owner did front and rear springs. Alot of suspension shops put a little specification sticker on the fork tube when they build them, look for that to tell you whats inside :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captain Bob

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:34 PM

My 99 WR400 had a similar problem when I bought it last year. The front end was very stiff and the rear shock seemed OK. I took the forks and shock to a suspension company (C-Cycles - RI) and had them re-valved and re-sprung for my weight and type of riding that I do. As it turned out, the rear shock that I thought was OK was crap! Both front and rear were valved for extreme stiffness (MX and beyond type riding) New (and stiffer)springs were put in both front and rear and the valving was set up for plushness required in tight rocky New England single track. What a difference! The bike is a joy to ride. My suggestion to you is rather then try to sort out oil weight, height, etc., take your suspension to a company and let them go over it for you. You can play with fork oil forever and never get it right due to incorrect valving for your type of riding. (I am speaking from experience on this one! :thumbsup: )

Hope this helps!

Bob

• Longtimeyamahaguy

Posted April 25, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the responses, I`m going to just take it to a suspension shop. They know way more about what their doing than I do..... :crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.