Threaded insert in subframe fix?

2 replies to this topic
  • CJPilot

Posted April 24, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Anybody have a good method to secure a loose threaded insert(the one for the right sidpanel) that has loosened up and is spinning freely. I've tried a fillet of JB weld and tried compressing it with the nut on a bolt trick but no luck. Can you TIG weld them. It looks like they are made of dissimilar metals. I'm stumped :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomonte

Posted April 24, 2006 - 05:59 PM

CJ looks like its really loose,since any of your methods havent tightened it up.Still you can give it a little tap around the outer edges.If you have the space/fit you could try both sides.As for the tool ,try using a flat screwdriver or a centerpunch.To go by the safer side try doing it with the screw threaded so as to protect the threads.The idea here is to displace material and embed it into the metal (subframe,aluminum head,etc.)It's not 100% guaranteed to work but it has worked for me before.As for the welding,it can be done but you''ll need a very skilled welder(that is the insert being very thin)Best of luck and let us know. :thumbsup:

• CJPilot

Posted April 24, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the tip. I thought about trying to stake it but did'nt want to to break out the hammer just yet. Sounds like it might be worth a shot though.

Update........

Just went out and put a bolt into it and then took a punch and staked it all the way around at the 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions. Worked like a champ! Beers are on me. Where do I send your six pack? :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.