course, they sell Honda/Kawasaki with
rubber mounted bars only.

I'm not really hung up on saving a few
pounds or anything... what are the
advantages/disadvantages as far as
reliability with Al vs steel?

• Hick

Posted October 15, 2001 - 09:01 PM

I don’t have any hard data to back this up but I’m thinking any Al bar will be much harder to bend than steel. Once you do bend them though good luck straightening them. In my experience even a mild flop will bend a decent steel bar, but I’ve only bent two pairs of Al bars in recent memory and both led to medical bills in excess of the replacement bars. I’ve also broken a pair of Al bars, and ruined a bar clamp but never damaged a top clamp, so I wouldn’t worry about Al bars causing top clamp damage.

How are you destroying the steel bars? If you are bending them so bad that you cannot hope to straighten them I suggest saving the money you would spend on Al bars for riding lessons…

HAHAHA!

Just kidding, but if you are mangling a pair of steel bars that bad I’m guessing you would probably damage any kind of Al bars as well. Well mounted bark busters, especially with inboard triple clamp mounts, will help protect your bars to some extent.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirhk

Posted October 15, 2001 - 09:02 PM

I was always a die hard Renthal Cross Bar fan. Then when I got my YZ400 it had Pro Tapers on it. I've grown to like them. On hard hits you can actually feel them flex a little bit and absorb some of the shock. I've watched my bike cart wheel 5 times on one crash and the bars got tweaked only the slightest amount. After that I was sold on them and will keep getting them. If you don't want to replace teh triple clamps to mount oversized bars like the Pro Tapers, I'd suggest the Renthals with the cross bar. I rode with those for 12 years on many different bikes and only had to replace them twice from bending on a crash. Very strong bars!!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• bender647

Posted October 15, 2001 - 12:29 PM

I've got the standard on-the-bar bark
busters, which just seems to transfer
the stress that would have been absorbed
by the whole bar bending to the point
where the bark buster clamps on.

Seems like an easy lay-down bends the
steel bars. Lets put it this way, I've
received zero injury. Just slip on a
root and pick up the bars and they are
bent. Minor, but annoying.

I was mainly concerned that if the Al
bars are so strong, that 15-inch lever
may be enough to break the mount instead.
Sometimes its better to have the weakest
link be a $15 one.

(yeah, I fall down a lot. never had
a paintjob, helmet or set of leathers
look new for a whole day on the roadracing
weekends either).

• Itsamre

Posted October 15, 2001 - 01:25 PM

Get a GPR Pro kit, Top clamp, Tag oversized bar, and a GPR stabilizer. Aprox.$$500.00, and not spend your time changing bars! I've only heard of two sets of oversized bars bending ever!

------------------
Mark...00 426 w/plates,and $4000.00 of other attachments!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.