How is low speed perf after uncorking?

18 replies to this topic
  • MTRider

Posted April 24, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Being new to this whole motorcycle thing please forgive my complete ignorance.

I just uncorked my 06 WR450. Top end (to me) is frightenly fast. I have a hard time killing my ear to ear grin after a good ride. My question is what to expect when riding slow. I find that the bike has a hard time putting (trying to keep pace with my little riders in tow). The bike tends to jerk. Prior to uncorking it putted quite well. One thing I did was increase the pilot jet from recommended 48 to 50.

Just curious is this is to be expected?

Thanks again - Scott

• pkcof

Posted April 24, 2006 - 05:13 PM

#50 sounds rich - what position is your fuel screw ??

• Matty05

Posted April 24, 2006 - 11:34 PM

The bike is not made to be putted around, but it still does it quite nicely.
Have you got an adjustable fuel screw? it is really the only way to get the pilot circuit jetted correctly.

Poor little guy's behind you........... getting all covered in 450 roost! :thumbsup:

• odonnks

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:08 AM

Once you have the jetting down, try dropping one tooth on the front sproket. For 15 $ US it is a great difference, especially if you woods ride.
In NE USA there is nowhere to run the stock 90+ mph in the woods.

• OneToGo

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:50 AM

IMO the WR is just not that happy "putting" around on small throttle settings -less so as pointed out after the mods. The yamaha motor really excels in mid to high RPMs though.
Lower gearing is a great idea for slower speed riding unless you like to slip the clutch a lot. Even in slow road traffic it is a pain.
Lots of guys fit a recluse (auto) clutch which I have no personal experience with but could possibly be an option if you plan lots of slower riding. Might also keep the family in tow "roost free". :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 25, 2006 - 06:42 AM

Being new to this whole motorcycle thing please forgive my complete ignorance.

I just uncorked my 06 WR450. Top end (to me) is frightenly fast. I have a hard time killing my ear to ear grin after a good ride. My question is what to expect when riding slow. I find that the bike has a hard time putting (trying to keep pace with my little riders in tow). The bike tends to jerk. Prior to uncorking it putted quite well. One thing I did was increase the pilot jet from recommended 48 to 50.

Just curious is this is to be expected?

Thanks again - Scott

What's your altitude?

That PJ sounds way to rich for what I'm assuming is an area above 5000 feet in elevation.

• dbailey223

Posted April 25, 2006 - 08:30 AM

My '03 is a great putter--is the gearing or something else different on the '06?

• MTRider

Posted April 25, 2006 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for all of the information.

We are at 3000 feet. I have yet to receive the adjustable fuel screw - as soon as it arrives it WILL be installed. The 50 pilot was the only way my local service techs could get the bike to stop "searching" for idol. I plan on going back to a 48 and use the adjustable screw to set the correct mixture.

And yes - the poor little ones DO get covered in my roost on occasion. Part of the learning process I tell them.

• imdickie

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:07 PM

I felt the same way about my 05 after I did the mods but then I got the Boysen accel pump cover and opened the air box. Not it putts quite nicely and when you crack the throttle it barks like an angry dog.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dl19

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:39 PM

My 05 is geared too tall for really tight rocky stuff. It jumps right off the bottom no problem with throttle, but I am constantly using the clutch for smoother speed. Next purchase is a one tooth smaller front sprocket. My XR400 was even too tall, and dropping it down one really helped. It dropped the top speed for running the back roads but it was worth it overall. Nice thing about just changing a front it only requires 15 minutes, and 20 bucks to find out.

• MTRider

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:49 PM

What does the Boysen accelerator pump do that the stock pump doesn't do? Why does this affect the low end? Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks for the suggestions.
Scott

• Matty05

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:59 PM

What does the Boysen accelerator pump do that the stock pump doesn't do? Why does this affect the low end? Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks for the suggestions.
Scott

Not much.

It doesn't effect low end, it effects the ammount of fuel in the accelerator pump that gets squirted instantly when you turn the throttle. It is supposed to fill up quicker.

Most people don't have a problem, this is really a waste of time. the people that have a problem (usually bogging) should just change their leak jet and solve their problem. Timing the AP squirt solves problems too. If you have these problems, the Boyesen cover won't do squat.

Now, a power now on the other hand, is a proven way to improve throttle response, and low to mid power. I can't really comment on it, I haven't tested it out for myself on my bike. I have ridden a crf450 with one, the throttle response was good, but hard to tell with out back to back testing with and with out. There is lots of threads on how to make them yourself for next to nothing. I must try it out for myself one day, seeing as they are very easy and cost nothing to make.

• MTRider

Posted April 26, 2006 - 09:09 PM

I assume LOW POWER refers to putting??? That IS where I am having a problem with bogging. While trying to let me kids keep up (4 and 9 year old) I tend to have to feather the throttle quite a bit. I woudl prefer the the low power putting was better in lieu of top end. Is this where the after market accelerator pump would help?

Thanks again...................

• Matty05

Posted April 26, 2006 - 09:23 PM

I assume LOW POWER refers to putting??? That IS where I am having a problem with bogging. While trying to let me kids keep up (4 and 9 year old) I tend to have to feather the throttle quite a bit. I woudl prefer the the low power putting was better in lieu of top end. Is this where the after market accelerator pump would help?

Thanks again...................

the pump cover is for people that are on and off the throttle every second. It only fills faster, it is not a miricle 1hp gain item. You won't gain any power what so ever.

if you have a bogging problem, tune it out. Have you got an adjustable fuel screw? This is the best place to start, as you can tune the pilot circuit to perfection. Then you can have a play around with the needle as this effects snap on throttle bog.

A bog is lean condition, what pilot jet are you using? It might just be you need to adjust the fuel screw.

• OneToGo

Posted April 27, 2006 - 03:35 AM

The Boyesen Quick shot is not a fix for impropper or poorly setup jetting.
A lot of Bike mags fit them and say they fix jetting problems but nothing time and effort propper jetting would not cure (IMO).
IMO, go to then trouble of jetting properly first, there is a jetting data base to refer to. THEN go a bout fine tuning out any problems - if any.

• MTRider

Posted April 27, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Thanks again - GREAT advise as usual!

• matthewdcross

Posted April 30, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Not much.

It doesn't effect low end, it effects the ammount of fuel in the accelerator pump that gets squirted instantly when you turn the throttle. It is supposed to fill up quicker.

Most people don't have a problem, this is really a waste of time. the people that have a problem (usually bogging) should just change their leak jet and solve their problem. Timing the AP squirt solves problems too. If you have these problems, the Boyesen cover won't do squat.

Now, a power now on the other hand, is a proven way to improve throttle response, and low to mid power. I can't really comment on it, I haven't tested it out for myself on my bike. I have ridden a crf450 with one, the throttle response was good, but hard to tell with out back to back testing with and with out. There is lots of threads on how to make them yourself for next to nothing. I must try it out for myself one day, seeing as they are very easy and cost nothing to make.

I agree with Matty05, Just try going one smaller on your leak jet it might completely cure your problem. If it gets better then go one more smaller and so on.

• 5valve

Posted April 30, 2006 - 11:04 PM

Once you have the jetting down, try dropping one tooth on the front sproket. For 15 $ US it is a great difference, especially if you woods ride.
In NE USA there is nowhere to run the stock 90+ mph in the woods.

My 05 is geared too tall for really tight rocky stuff. Next purchase is a one tooth smaller front sprocket.

How does dropping one tooth front affect the chain slider, does it get eaten faster in the front, hard to check area?

• Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:20 AM

How does dropping one tooth front affect the chain slider, does it get eaten faster in the front, hard to check area?

Yep........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.