Broken bolt after oil change.....HELP!

3 replies to this topic
  • wr400rider

Posted April 24, 2006 - 01:39 PM

I broke a bolt on my 2000 wr400 when tighting a bolt on the oil filter housing cap. I broke the head of the bolt and don't know what to do. What is the best solution? Drill out the bolt and tap a new thread in with a new bolt? I refuse to take this to the dealer and pay $200 for them to fix this. The bolt I broke off is the top left bolt on the housing (there are 3 in total)

• MountainMax

Posted April 24, 2006 - 01:57 PM

if you take out the other two, and the housing, can you get at part of the bolt and use vice grips? maybe you can post a pic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captain Bob

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:07 PM

if you take out the other two, and the housing, can you get at part of the bolt and use vice grips? maybe you can post a pic.

To take MountainMax one step further.... If you take the other two bolts out and remove the cover, hopefully the stub of the bolt is sticking out. I would consider cutting a slot in the end of the broken stud with a dremel tool and using a screwdriver to remove the broken bolt. Worst case is to drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt and remove it with an easy "out".

Another thought, Sears makes a bolt remover that you insert into a drill. The concept bolt remover cuts in to the bolt as the drill spins to the left or in reverse direction.

I hate broken bolts! Hope this helps!

Bob

• MountainMax

Posted April 24, 2006 - 04:04 PM

it probabaly wont' be hard to remove if you just overtorqued it and the head snapped off, if you can grip some with the cover off, you may even be able to get it out by fingers, if not try vice grips, then file a slot and try the screwdriver thing, i don't think you will need any screw extractors for this. they are mainly for use on stuck, rusted tight bolts you break off while trying to get it out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.