Has anybody here ridden a KTM 525?

58 replies to this topic
  • XR_mad

Posted May 31, 2006 - 05:13 AM

lay over an xr once and wish you owned a ktm..

dude you sound like a bitch im 16 and can pick up the xr no problems

• CRFThumper

Posted May 31, 2006 - 05:33 AM

I've got a new hero!!!!!! :applause: :D :prof:

• PowerCell

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Here's a little present for ya'... (D , ! I ' , !) ... use them wisely.

And here's a little hint:

Dude, you sound like a bitch! I'm 16 and can pick up the XR, no problem!

... America's yoot'... sheeesh... :applause:

• huntmaster

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:13 PM

True XRs are reliable but you forget the old 600 - it's stator would just pack up and die min the middle on nowwhere and you were left with no spark and no power.

You don't want to go there. If old XR's are being discussed then old KTM's can be too. At least the Honda's started. There's a good reason KTM used to stand for "Kick for Ten Minutes"!

• ghoti

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:21 PM

what dirt bike has older technology than the xr? If you want to drag race buy a crotch rocket. Ride a ktm 525 all day and never get tired. lay over an xr once and wish you owned a ktm. In all reality the xr is a great bike, and there is a reason that they haven't changed it, it's bullet proof. Personally I've riden many bikes and the ktm 525 sx that I currently own is by far the best handling, lightest 4 stroke, best braking feel, and most usable powered bike i've been on.

Wow, second post in four years. :applause:

• mjskier

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:29 PM

There's a good reason KTM used to stand for "Kick for Ten Minutes"!

I heard "Kick 'till May" and "Kill The Mechanic"
That's why they put an electric starter :-)

Bruno.
KTM EXC 450

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:13 PM

Also, for such an advanced bike, that KTM rear suspension sure is crappy, feel free to add some linkage.............

• lancepeters

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I didn't expect that reaction! I've owned them all and understand that whatever you currently own is the best in your eyes. Actually im not a bitch but I've never had to kick my ktm more than twice, cold or hot. The xr 400 I had my experience with, well if it decided that it didn't want to start today then that meant you would have to wait until tomorrow to ride. I can't believe that the ktm 525 is even being discussed in the same catagory as the xr. I'd ride a quad before an xr again.

• gaucho

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:10 PM

I'd ride a quad before an xr again.

OOOHHHH, that is a low blow. Sorry, I would ride anything on two wheels, before I would ride a quad. Funny though.

My buddy has a 03 525sx, with 6 gears. I have a 600 and have ridden the brp plenty also. I love my 600, but when I get the money, I will be getting a 525, unless Honda comes out with a 600x or something like that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoFriesen

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:24 PM

Guys, how can you even compare a 525SX to an XR650? Would any of you ever take your XR to the track? I'd take a 650 to ride to work and back but never on the track or even in the woods. The 525 would take the XR in any terrain except on the highway and maybe a baja.

• bork

Posted May 31, 2006 - 08:01 PM

I'd love to take mine to the track! I'm dual sported so I can beep the horn at everybody when I pass'em! But in reality I gotta work for a living & support my family, so I cant get hurt too bad anymore.

• BWB63

Posted May 31, 2006 - 08:07 PM

I have ridden both and for desert riding the XR650R rules. The KTM 525 gets twitch once you start getting tired. Outside San Felipe going through the miles of whoop past Zoo road to mile marker 23, the KtM would just make you want to get off. It just takes more energy to work the KTM for long periods of time. The forks on the XR give more even with a fork brace. The KTM is by far a more fun bike. I can move it a lot more in the air and do not have that stuck in time feeling I do with the XR. I can jump the XR650R to a limit of 70' if everything is right as with the KTM but, feel way more confident on the KTM. Tight stuff, real tight stuff, the KTM gets it there but, I can beat it on a CRF450R. Best all around desert bike would have to be the XR650R but, Clear Creek, or Southern California Deep Creek KTM, Slower tight stuff I can make either one work. With the right rider on the KTM up above Goler/Jawbone I couldn't shake the KTM with me on a XR650R, I would leave him at times but, once it got tight he was right back. I would be proud to own both.

Posted Image

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

• Midlife Rider SH

Posted May 31, 2006 - 09:44 PM

[quote name='Old_Man_Time']the XR is a fun woods bike. It will do anything, tons of torque.

Old Man Time...I'll take the XR's torque hands down for towing the B&C 300+ Elk out of the woods...it's much faster than my quad :applause:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:39 PM

[quote name='Midlife Rider SH'][quote name='Old_Man_Time']the XR is a fun woods bike. It will do anything, tons of torque.

Old Man Time...I'll take the XR's torque hands down for towing the B&C 300+ Elk out of the woods...it's much faster than my quad :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bet, just watch out for them nasty ticks all over your back side. :D

• XR_mad

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:08 PM

Here's a little present for ya'... (D , ! I ' , !) ... use them wisely.

And here's a little hint:

Dude, you sound like a bitch! I'm 16 and can pick up the XR, no problem!

... America's yoot'... sheeesh... :applause:

At 3 in the morning, grammar can go out the window.

• akuleboat

Posted June 01, 2006 - 01:09 AM

Well just wait till the CRF600x comes out!!! :applause:

• Triumphs

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:54 AM

Guys, how can you even compare a 525SX to an XR650?

Like an RM250 to the 525SX... apples and oranges.

• weskc35k

Posted June 02, 2006 - 08:26 PM

How many year 2000 or 2001 KTM 520's are still running strong,SFA that's how many.
How many 2000 or 2001 XR's are running strong nearly every xr650r made is still running strong not withstanding stupid intervention.
In 2001 a bloke here in Australia won the open MX title on an XR650r,i watched him at a few events,holeshot almost every race and believe me it was hurling bricks at those behind.So the big girl can be raced in MX natural terrain MX but why would ya.
I did a few laps on my mx track at home and felt good on board the XR.
From 2000 on KTM's have a turning weird happening it hasn't been dialled out yet,i think it is to do with the linkless rear believe it or not.
The KTM is a great bike don't get me wrong average riders get on them and for some reason they are faster on them,it's the bike.
For my money the KTM is the worlds best trailbike,not racebike.Not talking about the XC's here the exc.
But for me it is too bland it has no character it does it all too well all you have to do is turn up it's like being on autopilot.
My XR has been a love/hate thing i hated it in a lot of instances but a click here and a fiddle here and she will improve and now i have tailored my riding i am having a hoot on it.
The one place i have not adapted on my XR is fast rocky rutty open stuff i am still at cr500 speed where deflection and snapping are common and sometimes scary,the XR is much more stable and balanced and can go much faster than i want to go at the moment,i'll get there but i don't want to cartwheel down the track at 70 or 80 MPH just yet.

• FastRich

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:23 PM

Funny that I started reading this thread because I went and looked at a daulsported xr650 tonight and I'll probably buy it. I have a cr450 and race motocross and gp's but started racing it in the desert too. The cr is a great all around race bike but my stock vales are the next thing to being shot and I need to replace them asap. I'm looking at the brp because I want to ride it to work and be able to just take off and ride a couple hundred miles in a day through the mountains and desert around San diego and Baja and I also have aspirations for some SCORE races (don't ask why i'm not down there for the 500 this weekend :applause: ).
Anyhoo, I've been looking for a 2nd bike for a while that will do what I need and can be raced if the course is open enough and don't want to flog the cr.
I Considered all the KTM's and the WR450(good to see it do so well in Dakar) but always default to the BRP simply because of reliability. I guess there is always some trade off unless you can afford 3 or 4 bikes and all the fixins but I never see Campbell or Hengeveld having issues with the xr(except at the RR nat. H&H)

For A 2nd bike, I''ll deal with the weight and issues that come with the XR, it really reminds me of my 1998 YZ400 with the 420 kit in it as far as being heavy sluggish and dealing with the old school 4 stroke starting ritual. Then again maybe I'll buy it and end up hating it :D but I guess I won't know until I give it a shot.

I doubt i'll take the XR up to Coral Canyon to ride up and down those rock falls any time soon though, give me a 250 2stroke for that crap!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.