Has anybody here ridden a KTM 525?

58 replies to this topic
  • motochris

Posted April 25, 2006 - 04:49 PM

You and I are on the same page Old Man Time. Both are good bikes, and for some instances, the 650 is great. For myself, for the type of riding I enjoy, the 525 can't be beat.
The whole "oh yea! well try racing for 5000 miles" argument is ridiculous. As stated, neither bike will see that kind of use, so it makes no difference. Do the proper maintenance, and both bikes will keep you smiling for a long time.
As far as Dakar.....no more big bikes. The "factory" KTM's are 660's.

Here's a link to the finish results for this years race. Note how many 450's are even in the results. Not a 650 Honda in the bunch though. Why? No idea.
http://www.dakar.com...nm_officiel.pdf

• Jayzonk

Posted April 25, 2006 - 05:09 PM

I had brought this up with Irondude in a previous thread. Here's what he had to say about why XR605R's don't perform well at Dakar (I really like the part about taking an L through it - I'm wondering if he's serious?):
Its almost always:
-The airbox sucks sand/silt at the bottom and this leads to a dead motor.
-The stator is not vented/sealed, condensation and or water at the deep water crossings leads to a dead electrical system.
-The Acerbis fuel tank cracks at the seems and the bike either catches fire (several times now!) or just looses fuel...

Also--if you have ever tried kickstarting a XR650r 2/3rds the way up a 80 ft sand dune--when you are on an angle going up such that the kickstarter side is facing the dune...you know why estart is the norm on the dakar bikes. The 650 has been very good in baja. But not at dakar.

IMHO a 650L engine in a XR650 frame would be much better way to go...

OR--just do Dakar on a team with a bunch of Husqvarnas..

• EddyWhoGoes

Posted April 25, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Talking about gearing to the moon is unrealistic as well. Why? Because NOBODY rides a bike with that kind of gearing.
Let's get back to real comparisons.

I have, and will in the future, but it sucks for climbing hills.
Maybe Im a nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect.

:crazy:

• Jayzonk

Posted April 25, 2006 - 05:30 PM

...no....maybe you are perfect. :crazy:

• dan3084

Posted April 25, 2006 - 07:35 PM

I have ridden the 525 in the past month and i will say that on trails i am sticking with the honda anyday

• captb

Posted April 25, 2006 - 08:08 PM

I want more CCs, if you dual sport then you can relate to tall gearing when you do a 100 miles one way on the interstate to get to new riding areas or cooler climate, it's nice to cruise 75 or 80 without revving the piss out of it, I've passed a number of smaller CC DS bikes putting along on the interstate being passed by ever car on the road, if I still had to trailer bikes around I wouldn't get to ride everyday, it's too much hassle.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 25, 2006 - 08:08 PM

You and I are on the same page Old Man Time. Both are good bikes, and for some instances, the 650 is great. For myself, for the type of riding I enjoy, the 525 can't be beat.
The whole "oh yea! well try racing for 5000 miles" argument is ridiculous. As stated, neither bike will see that kind of use, so it makes no difference. Do the proper maintenance, and both bikes will keep you smiling for a long time.
As far as Dakar.....no more big bikes. The "factory" KTM's are 660's.

Here's a link to the finish results for this years race. Note how many 450's are even in the results. Not a 650 Honda in the bunch though. Why? No idea.

Great link.

I would never have guessed that a CRF450X could ever finish at Dakar but some did. It's not that I don't like the CRF450X but I just didn't think the valves could handle Dakar. That is really cool to see all those 450s finish. Bet none of them were stock.

I have ridden sand with my XR650R and never sucked it into the air box. I seal my filters with grease and never had a problem with anything getting past the seal. Maybe it's cause I don't race for 5500 miles in fact I don't race. I like to ride fast in spurts and enjoy a long day in the desert from time to time.

And yes there were some 525s in the mix. I like that too.

It's amazing what bikes with $10,000.00 worth of goodies thrown at them can do. :crazy:

• Jayzonk

Posted April 25, 2006 - 08:54 PM

It's not the CRF450's that seem to have made inroads into Dakar - it's the WRF 450! I never would have thought.....don't know much about that bike, really. Is it dual sporting's best kept secret??

• XR_mad

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:11 AM

wheres timbrp at he has a wr450

• TimBrp

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:31 AM

wheres timbrp at he has a wr450

I don't know why that is relative but yes, I do have a WR450. The bike is great. She's not dual sported yet though. Soon enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hogair

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:41 AM

I am looking to by a Used 650 r. I've ridden 5- 650's, two 525's. That 6th gear makes the freeway riding a lot nicer at 70+. The start button on the side of a hill sounds REAL nice. :crazy: Two of the 650's had broken cases at front chain guard. One 525 just did 1300 miles in baja with no problems. One 650 was very, VERY used but still running great!

• 4Takt

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:18 AM

Thanks everybody for the replies.

One more question, I'm 6'4" tall. The old Maico is taller that the 650R, and I like that much better. There's more distance between the foot pegs and the seat. How does the KTM compare here?

To clarify, I'm not getting rid of my XR.

BTW, what is a "cush hub"?

4Takt

• snaggleXR650

Posted April 26, 2006 - 01:45 PM

A cush hub is a rubber spacer that fits between the sprocket and the rear hub. Rather than being ridgidly mounted, it gives under hard accel/braking and cushions the transmission. Useful for on road duty when there is LOTS of traction.

The XR650R (no cush hub) has a judder spring in the clutch that is supposed to smooth out the transition when releasing the clutch under power. I think they both do the same thing ultimately, just differently.

I think most street legal from the factory bikes have a cush hub or equivalent.

• syjl

Posted April 26, 2006 - 02:42 PM

I have ridden them and they just don't fit my riding style. It feels skatey like a two stroke in the rocks. However, the primary reason not to buy one is that the electrical system will fail when you are in the middle of nowhere. I have had plenty of 525's sitting at my check with no spark. Get the KTM 450 if you must, but nothing is as reliable as a Honda.

• HawkGT

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Off topic, but notice the last bike on the list. Yamaha 500XT:
Posted Image

OMG! :crazy: Now, I'm sure it was modded to the moon, but still--DAMN! :ride:

ETA: Found THIS and THIS about XTs in Dakar.

ETA2: Oh, and after riding my 650R in the dunes, the air filter is caked with sand by the end of the weekend. Never let any sand through (that I know of) but I could easily see clogged filters being a problem in Dakar.

• rmhrc630

Posted April 26, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I have ridden them and they just don't fit my riding style. It feels skatey like a two stroke in the rocks. However, the primary reason not to buy one is that the electrical system will fail when you are in the middle of nowhere. I have had plenty of 525's sitting at my check with no spark. Get the KTM 450 if you must, but nothing is as reliable as a Honda.

True XRs are reliable but you forget the old 600 - it's stator would just pack up and die min the middle on nowwhere and you were left with no spark and no power.

many desert riders in australia who crossed the simpson desert carried spare stators as the 600 just tore them to pieces with it's oil soaked system

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted April 26, 2006 - 07:24 PM

I have a 02 650r and have ridden 525s in both desert and single track conditions.

The only place i'd give the KTM the nod is the E-start. It was nice in the nasties with a cliff on one side.

I like the XR everywhere else. Even in the tight stuff I felt comfortable on the XR. It always feels stable. On the 525 I felt like the bike was gettting pushed around alot where as the 650 felt planted. The weight is not an issue,( 5"11" 250) I can muscle it around with no problem. Also, I just felt the XR pulled me around better (displacement?)

If I had to choose one, I'd choose............................................my CR500AF :crazy:

• PowerCell

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:32 PM

There's more than 2 bikes to consider...

Posted Image

• lancepeters

Posted May 30, 2006 - 03:52 PM

what dirt bike has older technology than the xr? If you want to drag race buy a crotch rocket. Ride a ktm 525 all day and never get tired. lay over an xr once and wish you owned a ktm. In all reality the xr is a great bike, and there is a reason that they haven't changed it, it's bullet proof. Personally I've riden many bikes and the ktm 525 sx that I currently own is by far the best handling, lightest 4 stroke, best braking feel, and most usable powered bike i've been on.

• ThunderChicken

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:29 PM

lay over an xr once and wish you owned a ktm.

I've been trapped under my 650 more times than I care to admit and I can say that not once did I wish I owned a KTM... :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.