Trail Tech Problem

18 replies to this topic
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:02 AM

Was out riding this weekend and my Trail Tech really started messing up on me. I don't know what's going on with it but I do know it's now jumping all over the place on the mph display. Checked out the pick up down on the front wheel and the magenet and pick up is all good. My pick up is about a quarter inch away from the magenet. Any ideas anyone?

• Matty05

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:05 AM

It sounds like you are getting double readings.
Try moving the pick-up off the centerline of the magnet a bit.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 24, 2006 - 01:50 AM

I have tried everything. Just can't get a correct reading. It's never been centerline, always been pretty much on the edge of the pick up.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted April 24, 2006 - 06:46 AM

I had the same problem with mine, I just reset the trailtech and that seemed to of fixed it.

• simon@vic

Posted April 24, 2006 - 09:18 AM

lynx computer or endurance computer?

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:14 PM

lynx computer or endurance computer?

It's the trail tech with the endurance computer

• Captain Bob

Posted April 24, 2006 - 02:50 PM

Was out riding this weekend and my Trail Tech really started messing up on me. I don't know what's going on with it but I do know it's now jumping all over the place on the mph display. Checked out the pick up down on the front wheel and the magenet and pick up is all good. My pick up is about a quarter inch away from the magenet. Any ideas anyone?

Could it be that the contacts between the computer and the mounting unit have become a bit corroded? That may cause somer of the problems you describe.

Just a thought!

Bob

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 24, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Could it be that the contacts between the computer and the mounting unit have become a bit corroded? That may cause somer of the problems you describe.

Just a thought!

Bob

Nope no corrosion all is clean. Took it all apart the other day and inspected everything. Found nothing wrong

• Bogieknight

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hi there!

I know it's already been mentioned but position of the pick-up is critical. If I remember rightly the magnet needs to pass an end and not the middle.

Anyway for what it's worth, mine started making some spurious erroneous display problems. It was okay for about 20 mins into a ride then it would blank, display a non-sensicle arrangement of characters and reset itself and do this until it auto shutdown.

I contacted Trailtech in the US and they sent me out a new pickup and wire promptly. This didn't fix it so they sent me out a new computer just a quickly.

Now it's absolutely fine. Can't fault their customer service as they were quick to respond and very helpful.

Might be worth you getting in touch with them.

HTH and good luck.

Bogieknight
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted April 24, 2006 - 04:44 PM

In my experience if the pick up magnet is in a position that worked before you need to replace the sensor, cable and mount to get it back to working right. The cable gets flexed a lot and over time and wears out trying to follow the brake line during suspension travel. :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Ive had the same issue lately. Everything is fine and then lately the mph has almost doubled and it jumps everywhere with no change to the bike at all??? How do you reset it anyone know???

• WR450F_RDR

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:35 PM

If I remember right you hold down all three buttons at same time to reset unit. If you do this you will have to reset information like wheel size and time and such.

• GCannon

Posted April 25, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Indy Mine has been working great for two years and now doudle readings and they are starting to happen more frequently I will clean the contacts again but does the senser get weak or the cable bad still works good alot of the time

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted April 25, 2006 - 01:50 PM

I had quite a bit of water in mine on my 426 back in the day. Draining that and putting a fresh batt in fixed her up perfect.

Hijack: Is the Lynx out yet? Isn't that the Tach model computer?

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:24 PM

Indy Mine has been working great for two years and now doudle readings and they are starting to happen more frequently I will clean the contacts again but does the senser get weak or the cable bad still works good alot of the time

The cable flexes and weakens over time making readings more tricky. Clean the pick up contacts and make sure you have a fresh battery and retest before ordering the replacement cable/sensor set up. :crazy:

• steve lemley

Posted April 25, 2006 - 07:28 PM

On mine I set the wheel size and its probley reading at 200% meaning if Im doing 40 mph it says im doing 80 mph but ive made no changes from when it used to work perfect thats what baffles me. I guess I can try the battery???

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 26, 2006 - 01:57 AM

thanks for all the info, I really think that unit is poorly made. Espically the sensor pick up. I guess I'll try and change the battery and reset it and see if that fixes anything.

• steve lemley

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:16 PM

Okay I changed the battery and now its set on kmph not mph anyone know how I change that, I cant figure it out. Thanks.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 03, 2006 - 01:43 AM

well changed the cr2032 battery and cleaned the contacts on the mount and now it works like it did when it was new. Works great now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.