OK Dad's...help me out

3 replies to this topic
  • Jason21

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:43 PM

My five year old in riding a PW50. The bike runs like a top but has no bottom end (something he needs on the track when coming out of the corners). Do I bump him up to a KTM Jr. or do try a 3 speed honda or new ttr50. Any recommedations? Also, are those KTM's high maintenance or bulletproof like the pw's.

• simon@vic

Posted April 23, 2006 - 10:00 PM

the ktm minis melt easly. they are a race bike that needs constant rebuilts.

get a crf50 or a ttr50.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebike1999

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:44 AM

what about pw80
great little bike. my 5 and 8 y/o sons have them.
http://img.photobuck...99/DSC00443.jpg

• jim1234

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:49 AM

If you're going to ride track the Ktm pro jr is a great bike. The clutch stack is the trick. Ktmtalk can set you straight. My boys were on the Pro jr at 4 At about 5 1/2 went to the pro sr. Now at 7 and 8 are on 65's. They rode the wheels off the ktms. You must change the trans fluid every ride. I used engine ice to keep them cool . Bottom line for the track they're hard to beat. They take a little more care, but I never had any major problems. Be carefull if you buy used really check them out. If you start with a good bike ,it's easy to keep up. You can tune the clutch to make the bike hit very hard or more like a race ready pw. If you like the pw and just want bottom end. I would install the qt gear setup . It gives the pw alot of bottom end. Do a search on the internet for pw + qt gears.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.