2 or 4 STROKE DIRT BIKE

21 replies to this topic
  • bobrules101

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:52 PM

What is better a 2 or 4 stroke dirt bike and why?
Because I Was talking to some one that has just got a 4 stroke ttr125 dirt bike for his son not to long ago and now is going to sell he sons bike and get a 2 stroke cr85 bike for his son.
:thumbsup:

• thumperwrestler

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:54 PM

the TTR125 is inferior to the 85's. Those things fly, if your the right weight.much quicker, race tuned, lighter, jump better, etc.

BTW, where in PA are you?

• cheezy

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:31 PM

full size bikes, like 250 and 450 four strokes, can compete with 2 strokes. mini bikes (230 and lower) cant really compete with a 2 smoker, because theyre made for fun. until the 150 racing 4 stroke comes out, you should go with an 85 2 stroke. theyre lighter, have better suspension, and has more power. mini 4's are made to putt around on. so...

2 stroke - MX
4 stroke - Trails and for fun (unless a 250f or 450f)

• barch88

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:33 PM

2 stroke - MX

Basically sums it up.

• matt113

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:13 PM

2 stroke - MX

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• bobrules101

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:20 PM

I live near Statecollage. I got a 1997 350se and i bet i could ty a 2 stroke easy. :crazy:

• Nitroused383

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:32 PM

Well my brother has a 00 CR250 and I have an 04 Yz450f. We drag raced a couple times on the pavement and we were actually dead even through every gear until he ran out of revs. I had maybe 5-10 mph on the top to him. The 4 stroke race bikes are more maintenance and money (except Yamaha :crazy: ). Overall top end power is pretty close but the low end grunt is where i can get him. My bike is all stock and my bros CR has a pro circuit pipe, silencer and mildly ported. Not having to mix your gas is pretty nice too, but its not a big deal to do it.

• velosapiens

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:38 PM

2 stroke - MX

2-stroke = trails and fun
2-stroke = gncc and enduro
2-stroke = mini mx

4-stroke = pro mx
4-stroke = old fat slow guys
4-stroke = dual sport
4-stroke = trails and fun

• Zique

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:44 PM

At the risk of sounding rude...are we seriously discussing this again? I swear this topic comes up once (if not more) a day.

• NorCal

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Well my brother has a 00 CR250 and I have an 04 Yz450f. We drag raced a couple times on the pavement and we were actually dead even through every gear until he ran out of revs. I had maybe 5-10 mph on the top to him. The 4 stroke race bikes are more maintenance and money (except Yamaha :crazy: ). Overall top end power is pretty close but the low end grunt is where i can get him. My bike is all stock and my bros CR has a pro circuit pipe, silencer and mildly ported. Not having to mix your gas is pretty nice too, but its not a big deal to do it.

I believe that, but everyone else here will shit their pants once they read there beloved 4 stroke lost to a two stroke. I tried to convince people that my cr250 could out-hillclimb my brothers 2002 yz426....ha ha... no one believed me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nitroused383

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I believe that, but everyone else here will shit their pants once they read there beloved 4 stroke lost to a two stroke. I tried to convince people that my cr250 could out-hillclimb my brothers 2002 yz426....ha ha... no one believed me.

I would beleive it. The 4 strokes cannot be so much faster and more powerfull than the 2 strokes otherwise they wouldnt be allowed to race in the same class. Its just them 4 strokes have that get up and go right out of a corner. A stroke can do the same thing you just gotta be in the right gear and on the gas a little sooner. Maybe if mine was equally modded I might pull him a bit, but i doubt it would be much.

• homie

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Uh, what? A 250 2 stroke will rev higher than a 450 4 stroke anyday of the year. I`m pretty sure you mean you have more ponies than he does.

• Nitroused383

Posted April 25, 2006 - 02:58 PM

Uh, what? A 250 2 stroke will rev higher than a 450 4 stroke anyday of the year. I`m pretty sure you mean you have more ponies than he does.

Um no I mean i was geared to have 5-10 more mph on the top end them him. Running out of revs means you cannot go any faster because of gearing. :crazy:

• cheezy

Posted April 25, 2006 - 03:02 PM

2-stroke = mini mx

4-stroke = pro mx
4-stroke = dual sport

well, yeah, if you actually want to get that specific...

• HalfNutz

Posted April 25, 2006 - 03:21 PM

I love my 2 strokes. :crazy:

• CRF100biker

Posted April 25, 2006 - 03:21 PM

There is no comparison to any little 4-stroke playbike to a 85 2 stroke when they're stock. Sure put the TT-R engine in a CR 80 frame and a 150 kit and a few mods and it might be able to hang with the 85's. But say a 125 vs. a 250F. 2-strokes make twice the same power with half of the displacement. The only problem is that now manufacturers figured out that 4-strokes have a better torque curve. They can pick up more power at the lower RPM's and therefore make it out of the turns faster. A 2-strokes power doesn't come on until so and so RPM's and even when it does at some point it ends or isn't there soon enough. So now 4-stroke motocross bikes can make the same if not more amount of power than a 2-stroke and have a better hook up to the ground which is why they are taking of MX. But every bike has it's place. 2-strokes have a great fun factor and you'll learn fast on a 125 2-stroke than a 250 four stroke I've heard.

• homie

Posted April 25, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Um no I mean i was geared to have 5-10 more mph on the top end them him. Running out of revs means you cannot go any faster because of gearing. :crazy:

Alright now I see what you mean.

• skoot22

Posted April 25, 2006 - 04:31 PM

2-stroke = mini mx

4-stroke = pro mx
4-stroke = dual sport

Basically sums it up. :crazy: :ride: :ride:

• redrider150f

Posted April 25, 2006 - 04:45 PM

2 strokes:

are lighter

have fewer moving parts

rev faster

make more power per displacment

handle better

are cheaper to maintain

and more fun :crazy:

• bellec

Posted April 25, 2006 - 05:41 PM

To truly understand 4 stroke vs 2 stroke it is important to understand how they develop power.
4 stroke:
1) intake stroke piston goes down
2) compression stroke piston goes up, we are at 1 crankshaft rotation
3) power stroke piston goes down
4) exhaust piston up again, too summarize it takes the crankshaft 2 rotation to make a power stroke. This is why when traction is not the best or careful throttle is needed that this type of power plant is preferred.

2 stroke:
1) Intake/compression is now combined
2) Power/exhaust in now combined, all this is done in 1 crankshaft rotation. It is true that 2 strokes are lighter and more simple.

So as you can see if both engine crankshaft spins a 100 times at the same amount of time the 2 stroke produces a 100 power strokes and the 4 stroke only 50 power strokes. This is the reason why some love 2 strokes and other dislike 2 stroke. 2 strokes literally builds horsepower twice as fast as a four stroke and sometimes putting that quick horse power to the ground can be challenging and you end up with excessive wheel spin were as a 4 stroke hooks up better in most situations.

Personally I believe it all boils down to personal preference. Anyone us could ride and adapt to either design and be just as fast on either of them.
I hope this helps.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2014 Baja 1000 Rumors by NewMexican

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Baja
  • Hot  87 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 honda crf 250r keeps dying by johnfowler25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy a kx65 or 85 or some other bike by parisp22

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

IMS oversized fuel tank fitment tips by Oldmossyspokes

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M   CRF250 L/M FAQ
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 Beta 350 RR EFI Dirtbiketest.com by Johnny Depp

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.