wr450 for large people?

15 replies to this topic
  • spritefiend

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:20 PM

im 6ft and about 275, i plan on converting it to a supermoto for on street use, and getting it plated and im wondering if it will be sufficient to haul my fat ass :thumbsup:

its between this motorcycle and a ktm 625 smc; ive got to say i am really torn between the two.. i want to keep it in the family with yamaha, but dont want to be dissapointed with the purchase.

it wont be raced or tracked, strictly a roadwarrior, twisties, light freeway useage etc.

thanks,

John.

• Darth Wader

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:39 PM

In short...yes. I'm 6'3" and fluctuate between 295-300# (used to powerlift). If you do the mods the bike will tote you around just fine. I added a full GYTR pipe and header to mine and I'll pull the front in 1-3 on throttle alone. The bike will rip if you uncork it.

Just my .02

• Captain Bob

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:44 PM

im 6ft and about 275, i plan on converting it to a supermoto for on street use, and getting it plated and im wondering if it will be sufficient to haul my fat ass :thumbsup:

its between this motorcycle and a ktm 625 smc; ive got to say i am really torn between the two.. i want to keep it in the family with yamaha, but dont want to be dissapointed with the purchase.

it wont be raced or tracked, strictly a roadwarrior, twisties, light freeway useage etc.

thanks,

John.

To answer your question.... yes! The WR450 will haul your carcass around quite nicely. I am 6'1" at 260 lbs. I own a plated 99 WR400. It rips! In terms of the KTM..., if the 625 is anything like the 650 (LC4?) I rode, it will vibrate you to death. I couldn't stay on it more then 30 minutes (street riding).

Hope this helps!

Bob

• spritefiend

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:01 PM

hey,

thanks for the replies. i saw the mod thread on the 06, including all the free mods and the cheap ones that add to performance and if i went this direction i would definitely max it out as much as i can :thumbsup:

the 625 runs the lc4 and ive heard that before about vibrations. it really looks like a great motorcycle and i would like to give it a test ride to try it myself, but that isnt always possible.

im curious, whats the top speed youve gone on the wr450's? I really am liking the sound of this motorcycle more and more :thumbsup: and to top it off, the local stealership has 3 of them in stock.

did you do any suspension changes? i hopped on it for a quick sec and the back end seemed squishy. id imagine you can change the sag/preload though and respring/revalve before you would need to change the suspension all together?

Thanks a LOT!

John.

• CROGGR

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:21 PM

On my brothers 06WR450 I ran a gps down a long straight and flat fire road and hit 94mph......the fire road ended up not being long enough because I hadn't hit the rev limiter yet when I spotted the up coming turn!!!! The WR is all uncorked with a WB E2 exhaust running a 4300 ft above sea level!

• farkawi

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:26 PM

I'd actually vote for the KTM smc if you're only going to ride it strictly on the street; as it comes street legal and is all ready to go. Don't get me wrong! I have a WR 450 that is the best trail bike I've ever owned. A buddy let me ride his smc around and it was a neat little street brawler. The only thing I found fault with on the KTM was the tiny tank that comes on the thing which severely limits its range.

• spritefiend

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I'd actually vote for the KTM smc if you're only going to ride it strictly on the street; as it comes street legal and is all ready to go. Don't get me wrong! I have a WR 450 that is the best trail bike I've ever owned. A buddy let me ride his smc around and it was a neat little street brawler. The only thing I found fault with on the KTM was the tiny tank that comes on the thing which severely limits its range.

I really was planning on that, and it definitely is convienient that its ready to rock and get plated as a street bike however i feel ktm is a bit limited with the direction i want to go.

i want to go with the marchesini wheels, yosh trc full system exhaust, galfer & brembo brake system.. and so far, im really just not seeing that being possible. i will throughly enjoy doing all these changes myself as i want to learn the motorcycle instead of just hop on and ride.

ktm seems to have their own "in house" variety of stuff which is cool and all but i like an array of options, which the big 3 have plenty of.

• Matty05

Posted April 23, 2006 - 08:52 PM

It sounds like you want to go the whole hog Spritefiend!
The WR would be perfect, but it is going to cost you big time to do what you want to it.

You guy's can get big bore kits very cheap at around ~$400, I would do this first before the pipe. :thumbsup:
Add a YZ exhaust cam and some porting for a bit of mild engine work, the thing would really fly too!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kamik

Posted April 23, 2006 - 09:11 PM

im curious, whats the top speed youve gone on the wr450's?

with 15/42 gearing, last year i hit about 170km/h(105mph) before i let off. it still had more to go though, and that was just with the stock pipe without baffle. felt perfectly stable too, didn't feel like it was going to shake apart or anything. i think you'll enjoy the WR should you choose to go this route.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 23, 2006 - 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by spritefiend
im curious, whats the top speed youve gone on the wr450's?

On my 04 with free mods and stock gearing I gps'ed mine at 88 mph with my 295 lbs of fat on it. I am pretty sure I still had some left. I was just running it in front of my shop to dry it off after a bath. :thumbsup:

• boer

Posted April 23, 2006 - 10:07 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but will the KTM not need less maintenance, less frequent oil changes. Especially if you will be doing road riding, you will clock up the km's and engine hours very quickly. That is the only disadvantage I can think of for the WR. :thumbsup: However, the WR is indestructible from what I have read and the best is it hauls ass when uncorked and is thus worth the extra maintenance. :thumbsup:

• spritefiend

Posted April 24, 2006 - 11:17 AM

im fine with the extra maint :thumbsup: and its still in the back of my mind thinking about the ktm. got some calls to make and i should know for sure.

John.

• Captain Bob

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:00 PM

im fine with the extra maint :thumbsup: and its still in the back of my mind thinking about the ktm. got some calls to make and i should know for sure.

John.

If you can get along with the vibration on the KTM, the only other thing I would look at is oil capacity. The WR holds apporximately 1.7 liters. Not very much for a "street" machine. You would/should be doing oil changes frequently. I do not know what the oil capacity is on the KTM. Do yourself a favor though...., RIDE the KTM before you buy it!

Bob

• spritefiend

Posted April 26, 2006 - 04:27 PM

well, i just got finished buying the wr450 :crazy: $6500 otd. im pleased :ride: should be ready for pickup on sat!!

thanks for the help :ride:

John.

• Matty05

Posted April 26, 2006 - 05:20 PM

well, i just got finished buying the wr450 :ride: $6500 otd. im pleased :ride: should be ready for pickup on sat!!

thanks for the help :lol:

John.

Congratulations on your new bike! :crazy:

Buy a GYT-R AIS removal kit, adjustable fuel screw, and a slip-on muffler.
You can get a JD jetting kit or factory pro jetting kit ( http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTEwOA== ) later on.

• Darth Wader

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:22 PM

Congratulations!! You'll have a blast!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.