Transmission fluid came out of the overflow tube, your help please.

3 replies to this topic
  • levy1

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:02 PM

A few weeks ago I changed my transmission oil. I have read many posts about putting in a little extra and I am not very mechanic oriented so I figured if a little was good then a lot was better! I use this theory on everything except when I tighten bolts. Anyway I washed the bike and let it run like I usually do to get out the moisture and I looked down and trans oil was coming out of one of the bottom overflow tubes. It made quite a little puddle so I shut off the bike and removed the bolt you are supposed to undue when you are filling the trans. Since It was overfilled, once I removed the overflow bolt more fluid drained out. I let some more drain and re installed the bolt. How in the heck did the fluid get to the overflow tube? Could I have caused any damage? It seems to shift fine.

• levy1

Posted April 24, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I am the first one this ever happened to?

• kilgore trout

Posted April 25, 2006 - 04:14 AM

I don't know about the overflow, but you never put more oil than the service manual instructs into something NEVER.

I've always been taught that too much oil is just as bad as not enough oil. Now, i will not debate that, but it is a good rule to live by. That's why you have a high and low level indicator on most engine oil dipsticks.

• Heckler

Posted April 25, 2006 - 09:21 AM

If you look near the starter you will see a black tube coming out of the case, this is a tranny vent tube, It T's into another vent tube (I think the crankcase) then down. you should be ok...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CRF250X vs KTM 250 XCF-W by mx_forever

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

Help needed...CRF250X 2004 wiring Aussie model by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

250 4t's vs 125 2t's by Maatt25

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  61 replies
Forums
Photo

KTM 250XCF or XCFW vs Honda 250X vs Yamaha WR250F by heavenstrails

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 12 replies
Forums
Photo

crf450x or crf250x by Ahner21

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.