UGH! 06 suspension is killing me!!!

28 replies to this topic
  • Lizard 1

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Ok, before anyone flames me, I am going to send them off, but I don't have the money right now so, I want to find a setting that can be useful until I do.

The issue is that the front is acting like it is all spring. I am 185lbs and started with the stock settings. Of course, they were too plush and was packing the forks like mad.

Since, I have dropped the front to the first line, added 4 clicks compression and slowed kept the rebound the same. Rode at the beginning of the day like that and noticed the front was coming back aweful fast so, I took two more clicks out of rebound. Felt awesome!

However, after two more sessions, it felt almost worse than when I started the day. When you compress the suspension at a stand still, it acts like a pogo stick - even after slowing the rebound 4 total clicks!!

I'm at 15 clicks in on compression and even with slowing the rebound down to where it almost shouldn't come back, it feels like shit after riding it.

What's up? It almost feels like something is wrong internally... ANyone had issues where even though you change it, it goes back to the springy feel after a short period of riding?

UGH!

• NYMXer

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:35 PM

What bike are you on? :thumbsup:

• MichiganMXer

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:20 PM

Bleed the air out of them.

Just unscrew the one on top of each and you should hear a faint hiss.

Or do 06's even have the screw? :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:27 PM

The 06's do have the screw.

• VAHSMXRIDER

Posted April 23, 2006 - 04:50 PM

You can buy bleeder valves that will save you time versus unscrewing it

• PK

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:16 PM

I don't like the bleeder valves because in my experiences, they get dirt in them and sometimes they don't close all the way.

I have an 06 and absolutely love the suspension. How long have had the bike? I noticed when I first started riding it, the rebound on the forks was very noticeable. I went in 3 clicks and it's still more springy than my previous bike but as the suspension has broken in, it's definitely better with a few more hours on it. I think the rebound on these forks has 21 clicks so you have still have some more to go. Some forks or shocks are like that and you may have to run them clickers in alot more than on other bikes. Has anybody had the forks apart? If you don't put the base valve in correctly on the dampening rod, your rebound will be as you describe also.

My suggestion is to keep moving the rebound in until your happy, if you never reach that point, you may want to have someone go through your forks. These are great forks so don't give up. Also, as said before, you really should bleed the pressure from your forks with your front wheel off the ground prior to the first ride of the day. I do mine again as things heat up.

• dbehr624

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:53 PM

I know i sound like an idiot, but do you have to fill your shocks back up with air if you bleed the air out of them? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: :bonk: :bonk:

• jerryls

Posted April 23, 2006 - 08:47 PM

I know i sound like an idiot, but do you have to fill your shocks back up with air if you bleed the air out of them? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: :bonk: :bonk:

No. When you "bleed" the air, all you're doing is equalizing the air pressure inside the fork with the outside air. Put the bike on a stand, unscrew the bleeders, and screw them back in. Easy.

Jerry

• Lizard 1

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:46 AM

What bike are you on? :thumbsup:

450 - sorry...

• Lizard 1

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:47 AM

Bleed the air out of them.

Just unscrew the one on top of each and you should hear a faint hiss.

Or do 06's even have the screw? :thumbsup:

I have the quick bleeders on the forks and do it after I unload and after about every two sessions....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lizard 1

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:49 AM

I don't like the bleeder valves because in my experiences, they get dirt in them and sometimes they don't close all the way.

I have an 06 and absolutely love the suspension. How long have had the bike? I noticed when I first started riding it, the rebound on the forks was very noticeable. I went in 3 clicks and it's still more springy than my previous bike but as the suspension has broken in, it's definitely better with a few more hours on it. I think the rebound on these forks has 21 clicks so you have still have some more to go. Some forks or shocks are like that and you may have to run them clickers in alot more than on other bikes. Has anybody had the forks apart? If you don't put the base valve in correctly on the dampening rod, your rebound will be as you describe also.

My suggestion is to keep moving the rebound in until your happy, if you never reach that point, you may want to have someone go through your forks. These are great forks so don't give up. Also, as said before, you really should bleed the pressure from your forks with your front wheel off the ground prior to the first ride of the day. I do mine again as things heat up.

Could be the valves sticking. However, when I unloaded the bike when I got home, air came out so, I suspect they are working.

I haven't had the forks apart yet and I only have like 5 hours on the bike...

• NYMXer

Posted April 24, 2006 - 04:21 AM

You shouldn't hear air come out of your forks when your unloading the bike from the truck. Check and see if the bleeders are closed. Place the bike on a stand w/ the front wheel in the air. Open the bleeders and then close them all the way before taking the bike off the stand. :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted April 24, 2006 - 06:28 AM

Should I bleed air out of my forks before each ride day?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:38 AM

Should I bleed air out of my forks before each ride day?

The air builds up during riding....bleed the air out after riding or during your ride break...

My 06 suspension works really well for me with the exception of through breaking bumps....this is where I get beat up especially in big breaking bumps...I will be getting some revalve work done on mine real soon.... :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:41 AM

The air builds up during riding....bleed the air out after riding or during your ride break...

My 06 suspension works really well for me with the exception of through breaking bumps....this is where I get beat up especially in big breaking bumps...I will be getting some revalve work done on mine real soon.... :thumbsup:

Which screw do I unscrew? The one in middle or the one off to the side?

• KTMKarl

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:28 AM

I was reading this out of curiosity and I have to say to the original question that I think your right on with the fork rebound assesment. My rebound went almost completely away by the time the forks were broken in, this became ecspecially noticable with a spring change (stiffer .50) I was thinking I may have been a little off somewhere and played around a bunch before going the revalve route. I used Stone Works in Blue Springs MO, Ole Doug has em turned around now. He was kinda suprised to hear my "more rebound" request as well but luckily he listened and set em up great. I'm anxious for more testing time to get things really dialed in but my initial results have been positive.

I was very impressed with the stock settings and raced the bike well but my wieght kept it so far down in the travel that I was giving up a lot in the rocks and roots of the timber. Once the springs went in the clickers were at the ends of there use on the forks and the rear became a little hacky and I struggled with the rebound there as well (high speed:low speed ratio problems) the older I get the more nit-picky I get about these things! LOL

• Lizard 1

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:54 AM

You shouldn't hear air come out of your forks when your unloading the bike from the truck. Check and see if the bleeders are closed. Place the bike on a stand w/ the front wheel in the air. Open the bleeders and then close them all the way before taking the bike off the stand. :thumbsup:

Uh... I meant I bleed them after I unload the bike from the trailer - usually been in there overnight and I pull the bike out, place it on the stand and bleed them.

• scottpb33

Posted April 24, 2006 - 11:43 AM

First off, set the rear sag at 105mm, which is about 4 1/8 inches, this will help take some tension off of the front end. Try the folowing clicker settings'

Fork
Comp 15
Rebound 8

Shock
Comp(low speed) 14
Comp(high speed) 2 turns out
Rebound 10

• barch88

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:00 PM

Which screw do I unscrew? The one in middle or the one off to the side?

Anyone wanna help me out?

• jamieyz426f01

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:05 PM

are you adding or taking away rebound clickers?.
turning the clicker in slows rebound, while turning it out speeds it up.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.