Resistace - exciter coil (stator) XR600

5 replies to this topic
  • Fredda

Posted April 23, 2006 - 11:22 AM

I have a -93 year XR600 and need to know what the resistance of the exciter coil (the stator suppling the ignition) should be. My manual says 230-320 ohms, but I think it is for a earlier modell so I'm not sure.

And if anyone knows what the diameter of the copperwire should be it would also be greate. (have measured, but I don't get it to be right.)

• moleculo

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:19 PM

The pre-'91 exciter coil spec is 230-320 ohms. The '91-on spec is 50 to 150. Typically they show right around 90 ohms between the black/red wire & chassis.

• Fredda

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:04 AM

F'ck!

Just ripped off all the wiring of my coil, showing 80 ohm :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So an advise to all TT-members, check that you got the right manual before acting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted April 24, 2006 - 10:39 AM

My 93 looked good when I connected the ohm meter. However, it was still bad. My symptom was primarily difficult starting when hot. It got to the point where I had to push start it when it was hot. I could kick it forever and it would not start. The problems only seemed to occur while the engine was hot. Even when hot, the meter reading was correct. I rewound, and now it starts easily.

• suharianu

Posted April 24, 2006 - 09:45 PM

How many turns and what wire gauge did you use?

• cleonard

Posted April 26, 2006 - 02:00 PM

I used 33 gage magnet wire. I got it a surplus place for $2. I wouldn't go any bigger than 32 or smaller than 34. Smaller wire is weaker and more prone to breaking. No idea how many turns, but I put as many as would fit. I can't wind it nearly as well as the machine winding on the stock unit, so I doubt I have as many turns as stock.

It's been working for 2 years.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.