99 XR650L stalls while riding

7 replies to this topic
  • bikaholic

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:48 AM

HELP I just got a 99 650L and it will just die like the key is turned off while riding. It seems to happen afer about 15 minutes. If I wait 30 seconds it starts up right away (sometimes with a backfire) runs great but will die again within a few miles. Otherwise it runs perfect. Have tried driving without gas cap. grouned safety devices, cleaned carb twice, removed tank filter, gas flows freely from carb drain. There may be a relation to engine braking a minute before the problem? This problem can happen on the highway at 55 mph ot in first gear going though rough rocky terrain.

• scapegoat

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:46 AM

There is also fuel filter screen in the tank that might be goobed up. Also see if ya get spark when it dies.

• bikaholic

Posted April 23, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Good point but I have removed the petcoch and bowl and cleaned the screen. I found no junk in the fuel system.

went to start it this morning and it did not do its instant start up like it ussually does. Finally started with a back fire.

Anybody have intermitant CDI failure before?

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 23, 2006 - 11:03 AM

Idle circuit is too lean. Try turning the pilot screw out underneath the carb (motorside) only if the tab has been ground off. If it hasn't, nows the time to tear into the carb & take care of drilling the slide, shimming the needle, rejetting & grinding the tab off. :thumbsup:

When adjusting it, first turn it all the way in counting how many 1/2 turns it takes to seat it. The back it out the same + 1/2 turn & so on. :bonk:

If it takes more than 3 turns out from lightly seated to get it to idle without stalling, it's time for a larger pilot jet. Been there & done it, twice over. :confused:

If it cuts out altogether at any given rpm or speed and won't fire up right away, then the CDI is probably the culprit. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mpd

Posted April 23, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Sounds exactly like what mine was doing. CDI was the problem. Never another issue once I replaced it.

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Sounds like a CDI thing to me as well...

A buddy of mine has a CRF250, and we put a trailtech flywheel in it. Before the flywheel, the bike would run great, but after the flywheel, it wouldn't run so well. It did just what you were talking about; run for a little while, then stop, wait a few seconds, and it would run fine again, and stop, and wait, and it would go on... Turns out that the magnets in the flywheel weren't aligned properly, and it was building a charge in the ignition system. So, it would run fine for a couple mins, then stop, and the charge would discharge, and then it would run fine again.

So, if its not the CDI, it sounds like an electrical problem somewhere on the bike.

• bikaholic

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:09 PM

Thanks guys
I will check the idle mixture but I don't think so. I have Daves mods installed which included the richer pilot jet. I mean this thing just runs perfect - a joy to ride- crack the thottle and up you go then you will be riding along and its like someone hits the kill switch. The backfire on starting make me suspect fuel is in the system when it get its act together again. My latest experiment is flicking the key on and off as I am coasting to a stop. So far I have been able to get it to restart before coming to a complete stop 4 out of 5 times doing this. Maybe superstion but I am leaning toward CDI box but hate to spend the cash on a guess. I felt like CDI was go or no go not sometimes. I bought this bike DIRT cheap cause the previous owner was so frustrated with it.

• ghoti

Posted April 24, 2006 - 09:52 AM

Thanks guys
I will check the idle mixture but I don't think so. I have Daves mods installed which included the richer pilot jet. I mean this thing just runs perfect - a joy to ride- crack the thottle and up you go then you will be riding along and its like someone hits the kill switch. The backfire on starting make me suspect fuel is in the system when it get its act together again. My latest experiment is flicking the key on and off as I am coasting to a stop. So far I have been able to get it to restart before coming to a complete stop 4 out of 5 times doing this. Maybe superstion but I am leaning toward CDI box but hate to spend the cash on a guess. I felt like CDI was go or no go not sometimes. I bought this bike DIRT cheap cause the previous owner was so frustrated with it.

I would guess it's not fuel related by the immediate off you describe. I was riding through the woods and had the same thing happen. Stab the button, nothing. Look down and the kick stand is down. Push it up and stab the button, nothing. Look down and the kick stand is down. I must have hooked the spring on something and it popped off. Doesn't help you, but I found it amusing. Are all of your interlocks clean and tight?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.